Best Smallmouth River in the North East

M

midgeman

Since the decline of local rivers (Susky, Potomac, Shenandoah, and others), what is your opinion of the BEST smallie river in the North East for size and quantity. I'm still haunted by the 100 plus fish days on the Susky....

I'm wondering if there even is one. I've hit most of the SE waters and have had a terrible SMB year.

I hit the Delaware River in Reigelsville yesterday and I didn't get anything through a nice run I worked for about 2 hours. Not good.

The best sections I have fished recently are north of Milford, PA.

Oh gosh. This is like trying to choose between a catcher and firstbaseman as to who is the best baseball player. Nevertheless, it's an intriguing question. I've never fished the Allegheny or some of the big warm water river systems in NY or New England. Of the ones I'm familiar with, I'd vote for the upper Potomac. I think for public access, numbers of fish, numbers of trophy fish, combination of water types (dammed pools, wadeable areas, shallow rocky riffles etc) and scenic beauty the Potomac is mighty nice.

The best river really depends on time of year. Pre spawn, post spawn and fall all have different locations and rivers for me.

For the north east in general, I'd have to pick the upper Niagra river and the eastern end of Lake Erie.

I'm with you on that one fishidiot about the Potomac. I'm wondering what guys have to say from the Allegheny, Clarion, and North East of the state. I have no problem finding the big smallies in the susky during the cooler months. But it's not even worth fishing during the summer months. I'd like to know if anyone on here ventures out to New England streams. If so, recommendations or reports of fabulous smallmouth fishing would be great to hear.

The best smallmouth river in the northeast US is probably in Maine.

hey beeber2 I've heard that the Niagra below the falls in the place to go to catch any trophy fish species out of the great lakes. The problem is access. I heard a boat is absolutely necessary.

I would have to say the Penobscot River is the only river left

3 out outside of PA that (if I recall correctly) are pretty highly regarded are the Androscoggin in Maine, the Mohawk in central NY and the Lower Housatonic in CT.

The Allegheny is a good smallmouth river, but even at its best, its probably about on a par with the Delaware, maybe a little better. Not even close to what a healthy Susquehanna or Juniata is like

Older guys from around home always used to tell me that the portion of the river that now lies at the bottom of Allegheny Reservoir was a superior smallmouth fishery.

The Clarion, although its been years since I've been on it, is/was a fine bass river. But even in it's lower watershed, its of a size class that isn't much bigger than some other Allegheny tribs and even WB Susquehanna tribs.

The Susquehanna WAS. Right now I have no idea.

I have fished the Penobscott in Maine recently. It is a good SM river, but not great. I fished with an expert, Kevin Tracewski, the author of "A Fisherman's Guide to Maine." Some parts of the Susky, even today match up, or are even better for smallies right now.

Also, Contrary to popular belief, there's not a bruiser brookie under every rock either up in Maine. He enjoys driving down Central PA to fish for wild trout.........lol. The grass is always greener.

Not a river, and haven't fished it in a while, but by far the best smallmouth fishing I have ever experienced was Lake Erie. You can't rack up 100+ numbers on small tackle just for the simple reason that it takes too long to bring em in (long lines and big fish). But we basically spent most of the day hooked up, and they AVERAGED in the 20 inch range and fat as footballs. I don't think there's much that could compare to it. FF might be tough, though. We generally found what depth they were at by trolling, usually 10-30 feet of water over rocks. Then you get the weight and drift speed of the boat right (drift socks if wind was high), so that the offering hung just over the bottom. We used spinning rods in those days, but I suppose with sinking lines and weighted streamers you could reach em. The water is gin clear, so even at 30 feet, you can visually see if you get it right. Once everything is right, just toss out and hold on! Usually it was me, my dad, and brother, and triple headers were the norm.

After that, I have no idea. I do a little bass fishing here and there, but I don't get serious enough about it to really be able to compare.

I happen to think the Delaware River is an excellent smallmouth bass fishery. Not sure if its THE BEST in the Northeast but I'd bet it'd be on the short list of many NE smallie experts. Further south into WV and VA you have to start talking about the New and Shenandoah Rivers as well.

Ryan,
I'm pretty much with you. The Delaware is still good and I have a soft spot for the New from the headwaters in North Carolina to the big, brawling water in West Virginia.

Not sure it is world class, but I just like many of the Central NYS rivers like the Cohecton, Chemung, Tioughnioga, etc for their scenery, low fishing pressure, and mixed bag warmwater fishing. Not generally great fishing, but there are hot spots where the fishing is pretty good.

My best smallie fishing in the last few years was at the Salmon R in New York. I caught the beginning of the spring run and the fishing for big lake run smallies was awesome. Not sure of all the Great Lakes, but in Lake Ontario and the Finger Lakes the smallies spawn in the tribs and can offer great stream fishing since the size and numbers of fish will be well above what is normal.

The one worry I have with the Delaware now is flathead catfish. I have seen a couple of 5 foot long flatheads taken near Belvidere and am not having the same success with redbreast sunnies as I normally do. Those flatheads are some top predator IMHO (they could swallow a 20" smallie with no problem) and they have clobbered sunfish populations in North Carolina where they have gotten into Atlantic drainage rivers.

Good points and nice variety of streams there Jeff. One place that didn't get mentioned is definitely a top smallmouth "river" is the Thousands Islands area of the St. Lawrence River. Both #s and trophy-size smallies abound here.

Best I have experienced has to be the Kennebec up by Waterville/Augusta. Three years ago I fished it and the avg. bass was 17" and caught upto 22" I couldn't believe it as I am used to fishing mid-atlantic waters that BTW- We also caught landlock salmon and trout. Probably what happens when a state actually cares about conservation.

The juniata is still pretty good. For out of the region I'd say the best I've fished is the Mississippi above Minneapolis. It's difficult to wade because the flow is pretty good.

As an Upstate New Yorker. Some of the best smallmouth rivers I would say are in Upstate NY. We have the Northern part of the Hudson which is still producing amazing Smallmouth. My personal favorite the Sacandaga River is amazing and good for tons of action in a day, with all types of flies.

When I went to the Alleghany a couple of weeks ago, the smallmouth fishing was amazing. I don't know if that counts because it was only for a few days, but I did very well and I can't complain about the Alleghany, even if the water was in the 80's when I went.

Without any reservations at all the Juniata/Susquehanna watershed is the best in the east if not the world.

PatriotFly26 wrote:
As an Upstate New Yorker. Some of the best smallmouth rivers I would say are in Upstate NY. We have the Northern part of the Hudson which is still producing amazing Smallmouth. My personal favorite the Sacandaga River is amazing and good for tons of action in a day, with all types of flies.

When I went to the Alleghany a couple of weeks ago, the smallmouth fishing was amazing. I don't know if that counts because it was only for a few days, but I did very well and I can't complain about the Alleghany, even if the water was in the 80's when I went.

I'm guessing you mean somewhere below Wells on the Sacandaga? I've fished for trout above there and I think it's heavily stocked up there. I've gotten some nice smallies in the Sacandaga Lake. I have friends that live on the lake and I've done well right from their back yard when visiting. I might need to check out the river a little more...

I agree that upstate NY is better than anything in PA right now. I live 15 minutes from the Susky, but spend more time chasing smallies in the Adirondacks, Maine, and Ontario.

Back