Best places in or near Centre County to catch n keep?

L

LilTuscany

Just got my first fly fishing pole. I drowned worms until now, in Va. I got my trout stamp and an incredibly confusing book of regs for fishing here. Any suggestions on where i can can catch and keep that first big one I just know is out there waiting for me?

I'll start the popcorn awhile.

Other than the special regulation areas on Spring Ck, Lick Run, Spruce Ck, and near-by Fishing Ck between, Lamar and Tylersville, and near-by Penns Ck, the field is wide open. Your best bet is probably Logan Branch, the rest of Fishing Ck, and some of the remainder of Penns Ck, but many of the other streams COULD produce a fish between 16 and 18 inches long. You need to be able to read the habitat and have the right techniques.

LilTusc,
Welcome to fly fishing. This is a fly fishing forum populated mainly with folks who release the wild trout they catch. Take some time to read over that regs book. Look up Centre County in the list "Approved Trout Waters." These are the streams that are stocked with trout and a good choice to begin your exploring.

As for a recommendation in Centre County to catch trout to eat (which I do on occasion), I would recommend Bald Eagle Creek. Go to Milesburg and fish upstream.

LilTuscany:

Welcome to the board, and honestly, you are better off hitting portions of the Little Lehigh, Jordan, Monocacy, Bushkill, Saucon, Nancy, Frya Run and Cooks Creek if you feel adventurous and want to visit the Lehigh Valley. I understand the Jordan is especially productive this time of year.

As for Centre, there aren't many big fish left to keep where you can keep them as you are late to the rodeo.

Wild_Trouter wrote:
LilTuscany:

Welcome to the board, and honestly, you are better off hitting portions of the Little Lehigh, Jordan, Monocacy, Bushkill, Saucon, Nancy, Frya Run and Cooks Creek if you feel adventurous and want to visit the Lehigh Valley. I understand the Jordan is especially productive this time of year.

As for Centre, there aren't many big fish left to keep where you can keep them as you are late to the rodeo.

Not cool...

Sorry guys/gals of the Lehigh Valley, but a certain individual in your area keeps broadcasting fragile wild trout streams of Centre County. Now you know how I feel...

krayfish2 wrote:
I'll start the popcorn awhile.

Hey Krayfish. Did you forget to check the popcorn? Burnt popcorn is notorious for setting off fire alarms.

I think you guys might just have been "had" by someone who has a popcorn concession; I think K2 may have figured it out right away.

LOL! Apparently, LilTuscany is fishing on PAFF! Trolling actually!

Seven Mountains Run was up and fishing well after the big rains the week leading up to the Jam. The "tent" section is where I focused my time. Haven't been up since, so I'm not sure what flows are like now.

7MR was probably flowing great after the huge storms on Wednesday. College Ave Creek was almost unfishable. Can't speak for the conditions since. Someone should ask Jonas at Feathered Hook to include it in his stream reports.

Wild_Trouter wrote:
LilTuscany:

Lol this is pretty funny. Especially including the Jordan in with actual trout streams. Obviously your knowledge is lacking, but agree fish the Jordan and keep them all. Gonna be dead soon anyways.

@Sbecker... Thanks for the laugh regarding my knowledge base of Lehigh Valley streams. Having grown up in the Lehigh Valley and having fished there for ~30 years- I would wager that I know at least as much as you. The inclusion of the Jordan was a reference to someone's recent post. Next time I take a jab at someone, I will be sure to provide you with the proper context beforehand so you can save your stupid assumptions for someone else.

Back