Best flies for today?

Breeze717

Breeze717

I'm going fishing today with my old man. The creeks are still running pretty decent after the rain and I'm hoping to catch my first trout today. Any ideas on a fly to use? What works in this kind of weather, I'm not to sure how the water temp is right now, ND IDEAS?

If I was fishing today (and I wish I was), there would be a black BH Bugger tied on all day. Water conditions in my area are probably close to ideal today...good flows with still a little color, but not muddy. Go get em!

I cannot imagine anything but tiny little streams being fishable. If its high and muddy, gnarly streamers with big heads that'll push water and hopefully get the fishes' attention through its lateral line.

Tie 'em dark so the silohette shows.

Taking a wading staff, or at very least a stout stick.

Seriously, maybe mountain trickles are the way to go, I can't imagine anything with a good drainage area being remotely interesting yet.

Breeze

Water temp should be fine, with these cooler nights and the rain. As far as flies, if the water is dirty, I go with some streamers, nymphs. Dryfly fishing I'd go with terrestrials, ants, beetles, you could also try some attractor flies.

Good luck!

PaulG

Thanks guys, I'll have to remember that. Black Bugger, terrestrials, small streamers.

First I'd rather there were some clouds, but no one mentioned hoppers or stimulators, they are perfect for fishing this time of the year.
Don't let these guys fool you, the Perkiomen and WB Perkiomen could have been fished yesterday, as both dropped down to about the mean by last evening. At those levels they would have been fairly clear too. Sorry I didn't see your post earlier.

Just got back about five minutes ago. Had a decent night out on the stream. My old man caught four with minnows. I caught my first two trout on a fly rod, two decent rainbows. Both on an olive BH bugger.

Back