Best FFing Gear

I have an old Cortland 333 "Bass Bug Taper" that I bought at a discount close to 20 years ago.

If I knew how good it was, I would bought 10 because it is the best "big bushy fly," fly line I ever used. Today, there are only a couple of 333 lines available from Cortland.

As far as the 444 goes, it refers to more than a few lines in the Cortland product line. In the old days and for years, the 444 was only what is now called the Cortland "Peach" in the "Classic" line. The first iteration of the 444 was the 444SL which came out in the late 1980's or early 90's.

So if you have the 444 on a short list, I have a feeling RLeep2 is talking about the 444 Peach.

Frog's Fanny.

Never knew about it until reading a post on this forum few years ago. Revitalizes a dry fly nicely. I typically first apply Gink and then once I catch a fish and the fly gets "the slime", I use Frogs.

Yes, the peach 444 is the one I was talking about. Among the other 444's that I've owned or knew of, I had a few of the 444SL's. They were stiffer than the peach 444s and consequently checked and nicked much sooner under my indifferent treatment. I wouldn't recommend them. Actually, I don't know if they are still made. The peach 444 though is pretty supple as modern fly lines go. Hence the higher tolerance for modest abuse.

The other variety of 444 I've owned a number of and liked pretty well was the 444 Clear Creek, which was a WF line. They were a nice dark olive color, although I am not a believer in the notion that fly line color matters to fish. The other thing about the Clear Creek was that it had a 4' level tip before the taper began. Cortland marketed this line as a good choice for skittery fish, and maybe it was true, I dunno.. I fished 444 Clear Creeks most of the years I spent in the Wisconsin Driftless and was pretty happy with them overall.

The Cortland 444 line I posted about was also the "peach" variety.

That's a classic.

I tried the Cortland 333 and didn't like it. It didn't seem to shoot through the guides as well as the 444.

There may be better lines available now than 444. I haven't tried many others. I won't be trying any $100 plus lines. It's just "fishin" after all.

My favorite item of FF gear is my Richardson 4 Tray Deluxe Chest Fly Box. The only time I don't use it is when I am fishing small mountain streams and then wear a lanyard around my neck.

Another is Cortland's 444 Classic "SYLK" and "Clear Creek" fly lines.

Simms waders and boots are also high on my list of favorites.

A wading staff that doubles as a walking stick.

Runners up: waterproof camera, my old Downs chest box, any type of stripping basket, wading shoes with interchangeable soles.

(my apologies to those who wanted brand names - not much of brand guy)

troutbert wrote:
Cortland 444 double taper line. I use it for everything.

Nymphs, dries, streamers.

Brookies, steelhead, smallmouth bass, bluegills, brown trout.

Thats funny...I tried the Peach 444 DT in 6wt and used it for one outing before I took it off (I'll sell it to anyone who wants it!). I also tried the Cortland 444 Modern Trout WF floating line and hated that. Actually Cortland sent me the 444 Peach DT in replacement for my defective Modern Trout line that sunk right out of the pack. I actually went back to a cheap ebay DT floating line and it works just fine for me and floats no issue!

Bam,

Is that cortland line orange? I picked one up one time at their outlet store on the way to Pulaski. I have a yellow and green one and a bright orange one . The bright orange one might be a pike line or something like that but my God doesn't cast good.... and far.

5 star products for me:

Another vote for smith low light ignitor

TFO carry all tackle bag. Wish I would have bought a second before they discontinued it.

krayfish2 wrote:
Bam,

Is that cortland line orange? I picked one up one time at their outlet store on the way to Pulaski.

It's a medium dark yellowish green, almost insect green color. I got in the early 2000's, but it was old stock at that time.

It was acquired on the same day I bought a new reel at a fly shop I frequented (long since closed) that would give you a free line if you bought a reel & rod. Because I only bought a reel but was a good customer, they gave me a free line from the "bottom shelf" and I grabbed the 333 Bass Bug since I purchased an 8 weight reel.

While it isn't the greatest floater unless it is kept clean, it casts what I throw with it with ease. I also have an 8wt Rio Clouser for the same rod and I hate that line with a passion.

As i look back many decades to my start in fishing, best gear was what i had at that moment in time. My belief is: best, most expensive, most elaborate, newest and prettiest, make you feel good. Make you look good,

Looking good and feeling good never did fool the trout much. The best fishing gear is "Thinking Good".

I prefer the regular guy look. Leaky hip boots, cheap pole, old cracked line, long leader and my own tied flies. Funny that the looking good and feeling good always call and take me along. My thinking good has always provided them with bountiful good days.

krayfish2 wrote:
Bam,

Is that cortland line orange? I picked one up one time at their outlet store on the way to Pulaski. I have a yellow and green one and a bright orange one . The bright orange one might be a pike line or something like that but my God doesn't cast good.... and far.

5 star products for me:

Another vote for smith low light ignitor

TFO carry all tackle bag. Wish I would have bought a second before they discontinued it.

Mine was the orange color of the 444 Mastery Trout.

Homemade fly rod and a Richardson chest box for me. Joe E

#1. Ross Evolution Reel

#2. Ex officio shirt. Still use one that’s 15 years old

Well I might not be the best person to ask about gear especially new gear because I haven’t really made a major rod or reel purchase for years and years.

However; have cycled through all the gear all the packs all the vests all the doodads. Ill use a sling pack if I’m gonna be out most of the day where I would need food and a jacket if I don’t need food and a jacket I don’t wear a pack or a vest I just put snacks in my waiters in the top above my belt my water bottle goes in the small of my back.

Now as far as sampling gear and what’s the best for me in the last 20 years the one that stands above all because my rods even though they’re Winstons or sages or Orvis they break down they get weak they get loose but what has not failed ever is the Ross evolution reel.

Can’t recommend this reel enough.

Monic Fly Line
Korkers Boots with interchangeable soles
Teene Sink Tip line
Sink rate leaders
Mono Master
GPS
Google Maps
Simms Vest
GG

Yetti Coffee Cup LOL GG

I like the Korker boots with the interchangeable soles. My only issue with them is that I can not hook the hook to where I need to with my L.L Bean waist high waders.

They are size 13.

I like the easy on and off though. I just hope I never break a wire.

Make a loop out of some cord Attach it to the boots where you need to clip the waders and attach the waders to the loop ? GG

Thanks for the suggestion. I work at the world's largest auto auction in Manheim, PA and have access to all of those rings on auto keys. That will be even stronger and give me the distance that I need to make the attachment.

Again, thanks for making me think about that.

Be advised the majority of split rings peddled as key rings to the hardware store/locksmith/auto trade are nickel plated steel so they WILL rust.

There is also something in the locksmith/hardware business referred to as a "GAK" which is an acronym for "give-away key ring." Those are just simple steel wire rings that are cheap so they are used a LOT to save a few $$$. They are about useless for anything except temporary use.

If you want to use a split ring, look for a stainless steel or brass split ring. They are out there or just use some thin cord like Gulf Greyhound suggested.

Best gear:

Any fly rod.
Any reel.
Any line/leader/ tippet
Any fly
Any Map
Pfbc natural reproduction list.

Have fun!

Back