best color and size of woolly bugger to use in eastern pa

jay1963

jay1963

Question as to what is the best color and size of woolly bugger to use in eastern pa ?
Going to start tying again as soon as the weather gets too cold for fishing so I thought I would start with woolly Bugger and try other streamers first then on to nymphs and drys.

So comments welcome
Thanks
Jay

1. Black - #8
2. Black - #8
3. Black - #8
4. Olive - #8

What no brown hasn't anyone ever seen a brown helgermite A size 6 doesn't hurt either.

All the above. If I had to pick only one. It would be olive body, black hackle and tail. But like I said all the above mentioned.

GenCon

melvinp wrote:
What no brown hasn't anyone ever seen a brown helgermite A size 6 doesn't hurt either.

I've used brown for smallmouths but do so well with black, olive and white for trout that I find no need to add other colors.

Jay,
Some good advice above.
Don't overthink colors. The general view is that black flies are better when the water is off color or dirty whereas lighter earth tones are better if the water is clear (eg. light olive or tan). Some WBs in white can work well too.

Make your tying fun and mix and match your buggers - make some with a black body and olive tail for example, or mix some Flashabou or Crystal Flash into the fly to give it some flash and dash.

It's also good to tie them in different sizes - have some that are about 2" total length and maybe a few that are big, say in the 3-4" range (these big WBs work well for bass too!)

WBs are fun to tie and there are all kinds of effective variations.

McSneek wrote:
I've used brown for smallmouths but do so well with black, olive and white for trout that I find no need to add other colors.

Try one with purple in it for smallmouth. Don't ask me why. It's has green weenie power over smallmouth

Thank you all for the comments, i like the idea of just having fun which is the idea when tying.
again thanks

pink or bright orange for LL.

#6-#10 olive, hands down.

Size 8-10 olive....I have at least a dozen in my box at all times

Olive/Grizzly and Black/Grizzly with a bead are 2 of my favorites.
I also use a lot of mini buggers (sz14) with a lot of success when the bigger stuff isn't working.

I've had good luck with white buggers. Mini buggers for trout and panfish. Size 2 to 6 for bass. Google the White River Demon for a variation

A brown variation is the Chili Pepper. An excellent fly for smallmouth.

Gotta agree with Jerry. I've done really well with white. I tie them using my recently deceased Himalayan cat's fur. OK cat lovers relax. I didn't shave her down after she died. The wife wouldn't let me. Anyone with a long haired cat can tell you they need daily combing and so there in no shortage of excess fur.

i have more luck with wooly worms used as a wet fly than i do with wooly buggers used as a streamer.

my favorite colors are black with a red tail,brown with a red tail and peacock with a tail of any color.

also,i like a gray or olive bugger for SMB,but prefer a cat's whisker in those colors ,easier and faster tye

Golden Retriever

All black or black and grizzly.

OK cat lovers relax. I didn't shave her down after she died. The wife wouldn't let me. Anyone with a long haired cat can tell you they need daily combing and so there in no shortage of excess fur.

lol! I use cat, dog, and rabbit undercoat for dubbing. We've got pets in all shades. My old lab-mix-mutt dog who passed away last year has caught me many fish!!! If you ever see me holding a fish toward the heavens and talking, don't be alarmed, it's just me thanking my old friend Rudy!

Back