Best brookie waters near SE PA?

I highly recommend snake gaiters.
To me, they are more important than waders

Best $50 FFing purchase I’ve ever made. 10 years old, and have outlasted many pairs of waders. Never had to “test” them, but have been within one step many times. The extra insurance when you can’t see where you’re putting your feet all the time is well worth the cost.

Best $50 FFing purchase I’ve ever made. 10 years old, and have outlasted many pairs of waders. Never had to “test” them, but have been within one step many times. The extra insurance when you can’t see where you’re putting your feet all the time is well worth the cost.
Agreed!

Thanks Bamboozle. I think Hickory Run SP sounds like my best bet to get started since I'll have a few options. I may start on Hawk Run, I have a 3wt I've been wanting to play around with...
callmestu:

FWIW - My favorite stick at all of the aforementioned creeks is a 6'6" 3wt. A 7'0" rod would be fine too, especially at Hickory Run but there are some tights spots, especially on Hawk Run where trying to wield something longer can be a challenge.

A couple of tips for those streams:

Don't look for risers as you may not see any. Instead, fish every nook & cranny of the creeks where a fish will fit. Once you determine what kinds of places they prefer you can concentrate on those spots and skip types of water that don't produce as well.

As far as flies go, don't worry about what may be hatching, just pick something that floats well. Another thing I do is to grease my leader all the up to the fly. This helps the fly to stay on top of choppy water and makes picking up for the next cast easier.

Don't neglect nymph fishing either. I do really well up there fishing beadhead nymphs like a Prince in deeper holes and non-beadhead nymphs in shallower stretches. I fish them directly upstream maybe 14 -18" under an indicator.

Have fun!!

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for all the feedback. I ended up landing 6 or 7 brookies today, probably lost the same number since my barbs are all flattened.

I started the day on Hawk Run, got there around 7:30 and there were maybe 4 other cars. By the time I made it back up to the parking lot there were two rangers directing traffic and I could barely get my jeep out of the lot. No brookies on Hawk Run today, but go figure the one brown trout I caught today was from the Class A brook trout stream. I moved over to Hickory Run for the afternoon and put in just above the chapel. Had a lot of luck with a Royal Wulff. No snakes today thankfully.

PXL 20230528 172756571MP2
PXL 20230528 171224453MP2
PXL 20230528 142126257MP2

CallmeStu, I’m glad you caught some fish and achieved your goal and caught some pretty fish. There are lots of places to catch brookies so you will be chasing them all over the state.

With that I’m going to further hijack and post a picture of a rattlesnake den from Potter that shows both yellow and dark phase. I got both photos from the same friend. Second is an albino rattler from Potter
img_6833-jpeg.1641230750
IMG 4837

Attachments

• IMG_6833.jpeg
    IMG_6833.jpeg
    317.5 KB · Views: 281
Also the link below has great info on rattlesnake bites. Seems like most common bites are from people trying to catch them. Most times when a person is bit while walking it is rarely above the ankle. So protecting the ankle and below will have the biggest impact for fishers. My snake boots go to my knee which is overkill but it’s nice to have knee high boots when fishing small streams to cross when needed.

Prospector. Now that den picture would be something (slightly creepy) to see. My den encounter or whatever it is on the Old Logger's Path had tons of rattlers, just not all balled up like that.

Also the link below has great info on rattlesnake bites. Seems like most common bites are from people trying to catch them. Most times when a person is bit while walking it is rarely above the ankle. So protecting the ankle and below will have the biggest impact for fishers. My snake boots go to my knee which is overkill but it’s nice to have knee high boots when fishing small streams to cross when needed.

I appreciate this. I wasn't aware of snake boots just the gaiters, which can be a pain at times. Most the streams I fish are small and I go without waders.

After looking them, this seems like a more comfortable option for me. Which ones do you got, I believe I'm going to pull the trigger on a pair?

Thanks again!

The pair on the left are from Rocky and were my first pair from 20 years ago. They leak now and the extended lug tread made creek crossings slippery. I still use them occasionally.

The pair on the right are my newer ones, Cabelas brand (10 years old?). The less aggressive tread is better for creek crossing. You don’t “skate” with them. They are still waterproof.

I find both to be comfortable to hike in and they are knee high.

IMG 6835

Last edited:
Not that I'm eager to find out but can a snake bite penetrate a pair of wading boots?

Btw good job with the brookies, callmestu!

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for all the feedback. I ended up landing 6 or 7 brookies today, probably lost the same number since my barbs are all flattened.

I started the day on Hawk Run, got there around 7:30 and there were maybe 4 other cars. By the time I made it back up to the parking lot there were two rangers directing traffic and I could barely get my jeep out of the lot. No brookies on Hawk Run today, but go figure the one brown trout I caught today was from the Class A brook trout stream. I moved over to Hickory Run for the afternoon and put in just above the chapel. Had a lot of luck with a Royal Wulff. No snakes today thankfully.

Excellent!!!

BTW - There are ALWAYS cars parked at the LOT for Hawk Run but almost 100% are people hiking the trails to look at the falls or Mud Run. Did you encounter another angler?

FWIW - Speaking of encounters, I never encountered a snake of any kind in Hickory Run Stare Park...

...but then again most things avoid me. ;)

CallmeStu, I’m glad you caught some fish and achieved your goal and caught some pretty fish. There are lots of places to catch brookies so you will be chasing them all over the state.

With that I’m going to further hijack and post a picture of a rattlesnake den from Potter that shows both yellow and dark phase. I got both photos from the same friend. Second is an albino rattler from Potter
img_6833-jpeg.1641230750
View attachment 1641230751
Awesome! Thats a slam!

Not that I'm eager to find out but can a snake bite penetrate a pair of wading boots?

It’s probably possible, but I think it’d be unlikely. And even so, it would lessen the severity of the bite significantly. Probably depends on the type of wading boot to a degree too. Heavier duty ones, think Korkers, probably offer a good bit of protection, but some “ultralight” boots are little more than mid-height hikers in terms of construction.

But, Timbers are a large snake, and if you step on one, a bite is probably possible all the way up to your knee, maybe a little past even. My gaiters go to just below my knee.

View attachment 1641230747View attachment 1641230748View attachment 1641230749

Nice! Congrats!

On a scale of 1-10 in terms of rough/remote streams (for PA anyway) I’d call Hickory Run about a 4, and Hawk about a 5. Those Jim Thorpe area streams you were probably thinking about are 10 or 10+. Again, relative to what else is out there in PA.

Btw good job with the brookies, callmestu!
I'm thinking the "slack" in waders would give enough protection to prevent a bite from actually penetrating to your leg. This is coming from someone who doesn't wear snake protection. :)

Also, I've read that rattlers usually don't inject venom when they bite a non-prey item. They prefer to save it for killing something they intend on eating.

Last edited:
Nice! Congrats!

On a scale of 1-10 in terms of rough/remote streams (for PA anyway) I’d call Hickory Run about a 4, and Hawk about a 5. Those Jim Thorpe area streams you were probably thinking about are 10 or 10+. Again, relative to what else is out there in PA.
Matt,

Do you have any idea of how many PA trout streams you have fished? It has to be a ton. I probably average 4 new ones each year. That’s a weekend for you.

I'm thinking the "slack" in waders would give enough protection to prevent a bite from actually penetrating to your leg. This is coming from someone who doesn't where snake protection. :)

Also, I've read that rattlers usually don't inject venom when they bite a non-prey item. They prefer to save it for killing something they intend on eating.
The article I linked in says

“Worried about the exceedingly unlikely event of a snake biting your leg as you pass? A pair of sturdy boots and full-length pants (jeans are good) should be enough to prevent a bite. Any over-the-ankle footwear should perform even better, and a set of gaiters or a pair of heavy-duty outdoor pants like the Fjällräven Keb Trekking Trousers will boost protection even more.”

Also according to https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5393596.pdf

“About 25 percent of the bites are “dry,” meaning no venom was injected, but the bites still require medical treatment. “

Last edited:
Matt,

Do you have any idea of how many PA trout streams you have fished? It has to be a ton. I probably average 4 new ones each year. That’s a weekend for you.

I dunno. On my computer I keep my pictures organized by stream. There’s about 300 I have pictures stored of. There’s probably some more that were total duds that I didn’t take any pictures on and wrote off. 350-400ish total would be my guess.

I tend to get an interest in an area, explore all of those, then pick a different area. For instance, this past Fall/Winter, I explored the Delaware Water Gap streams. Fished probably a dozen or 15 of them. Day trips, fished one or two a day, one day per week. Most were duds, lots of hemlock damage, but a couple would be worth fishing again. Before that it was the Sullivan/Bradford/Wyoming County area. That took me about two years to work through.

Most of that 350 or 400 total, I’ve only fished once. There’s probably only 40 or 50 that I found good, or interesting enough for some reason, to seek out and fish again. And there’s probably another 50 or so that were good enough to fish again if I was in that area for some reason, and needed a quick stream to fish, but I wouldn’t necessarily specifically make a trip for.

There’s probably only 15 or 20 that I’d call my favorites, and I try to fish fairly regularly…every year, or every couple of years. If I find one or two new ones to add to that list in a year of exploring/fishing, that’s a good year.

My unexplored horizons are ANF, most of the Laurel Highlands, and the Quehanna/Moshannon area. So that’s what I’ll probably be working on for a while. Those are all pretty much out of range for day trips for me right now, which makes it more difficult. But, we’re moving to Harrisburg later this Summer and that will chop an hour each way off those drives, so figuring to get to them more starting in the Fall.

Last edited:
Back