Best Book for PA Fly fishing

acristickid wrote:
Fox's Rising Trout (just finished it). It's a who's who of the grand ole age of fly fishing in PA. Harvey's Wood worm looks like a green weenie to me. hee hee

What material did he use, and how was it tied?

TB- not sure.

It was pictured in the book in black and white.

If it mentioned the materials, I don't recollect it. I turned the book back in, if I stop by the library and remember I'll look and see.

"Rising Trout" says Harvey tied it with pale-green-dyed deer hair, which is then clipped. (The book notes that Ray Bergman tied his using cork.) These patterns are floaters, not underwater flies like today's Green Weenie.

In Harvey's memoir collected by Dan Shields, "George Harvey: Memories, Tactics, and Patterns," on p.22 a Green Inchworm is described as being tied from green or chartreuse deer hair, closed cell foam, or lacquered green cork. This is a dry fly. On p. 24, he describes a Green Weenie which he notes that he first tied back in 1934 or 35. For this he used green chenille but that he says he "now ties from fluorescent chartreuse chenille." This is his underwater version.

As an afterthought: Both of these books are wonderful looks back at earlier times in PA -- they are fly-fishing books that you might want to add to your fly-fishing libraries.

Now I have just finished reading rrt's #43, but I'm sorry, I am still laughing about #19.

One of the first flies I learned to tie in my class, was an inch worm tied with chartreuse colored deer hair. And it did float. That was before the green weenie became popular

mike: yeah the outline in post 19 is really funny. not that books have some monopoly. :)

Took a look over Meck's guide to Mid-Atlantic streams. Last night. He frames the book as some lesser known streams to consider because so many of our famous waters experience crowds. He also asserts that there are many more fly anglers these days - as of 1997.

Okay book. I don't get all huffy over his descriptions like some- he does admit he tries to find out as much as he can about the streams. He does rate these streams on a 1-10 scale which based on a half dozen of the streams in the book I have fished seem pretty accurate.

Probably 2 streams in PA that peaked my interest.

Next up Aaron Jaspers book. More of a how too book. Can't wait till to get out instead of reading about our passion.

The Green Weenie is a recent re-introduction of the Shell Fly published by Charles Cotton in Part 2 of The Compleat Angler in 1676.

http://seventeenthcenturyflies.blogspot.com/2010/03/flies-of-charles-cotton-1676.html

see Shell Fly

Meh! Cotton was an amateur.

Back