best 4wt 10 foot rod and reel set up

What if I waded out 1' further with mt 9' rod? Pretty much the same deal, right? I don't think I've ever gone less than 5 weight on the D. I've taken a 3 & 4 wondering it I could land one on lighter gear but never put the lighter rods to use. I think DaveS tried a 4 weight this year but ended up agreeing that a 5 was better suited to making distance casts. I'm sure it didn't help that he was casting an 11 weight sink tip on the 4 weight. LOL. Guess there's something to be said for reading the line box you purchase. LOL

I've used my 8'6" 4 weight on the west branch of the D during times of very low flow rates - like 200 to 300 cfs. And I had no problems reaching the fish then.
But it is a bit light for playing the larger fish.
And I pretty much stick to my 9'5 weight up there now

krayfish wrote:
What if I waded out 1' further with mt 9' rod? Pretty much the same deal, right? I don't think I've ever gone less than 5 weight on the D. I've taken a 3 & 4 wondering it I could land one on lighter gear but never put the lighter rods to use. I think DaveS tried a 4 weight this year but ended up agreeing that a 5 was better suited to making distance casts. I'm sure it didn't help that he was casting an 11 weight sink tip on the 4 weight. LOL. Guess there's something to be said for reading the line box you purchase. LOL

Andy, my 10' 4wt Helios fits the bill for big water. I throw it with a 5 wt line and can yard cast the entire line w/o much difficulty. The extra foot is mostly butt and it adds beef and more firepower for distance and for fighting the big nasties of the D. It casts very accurately both short and long with dries, mends well and has extra reach for Euro or highstick nymphing. Also, I've cast Heritage Ed's 10' 4wt Allen Myth, and found it to do many of the same things.

Maybe you can try it in the spring at one of your just-show-up jams. Henricksons at 100 paces! :lol:

I'll take you up on the rod demo. I'll probably make it up twice in April, May and June....depending on flows. Hope I don't like it because that could get expensive

I use my Passport 4wt on the Delaware everytime up. Have never had a problem landing all those nice fish.

SBecker:
In response to the question that does'nt make sense:
Maybe I'm not doing something right. I have some large Bass/Musky/Salt walter streamers/poppers that I can barely throw with my 9' 8wt Clearwater II.
I have tried various home made leader wts and tippet wts. The store boughten ones that I tried up at Salmon River did not allow my presentation to get into the strike zone.
With the 8wt setup I usually use a 3 section leader to fly/nymph setup like 17lb to 14lb to 8lb. with a ratio of 3' 6' 4' for Salmon.
I have shortened it with bass flys but I still come up with a casting distance of less than 30' from my boat. Maybe I'm asking to much, however I would like to cast them at least 10' more. This will allow a longer retreive time and less chances of the fish seeing me and getting spooked. The boat platform is a foot or so above the water level.
Also, with my 3wt I have difficulty throwing large nymphs/flies that I can throw with my 6wt.

Any pointers that you can provide (or anyone else for that matter) would be greatly appreciated.

Penny- try running a line size heavier on that 8wt, it seems like a pretty fast action pole. So if I am correct, the pole is stiff, a heavier line will load the pole more and hold more momentum to throw larger, less arrow dynamic flies a bit farther, or try a switch rod shooting g head, a bunch of line mass right up front to throw around.

If you can find someone with rio out bound in an 8or 9wt put that on your rod and see what that does for you.

I replaced the line recently and now running an 8wt wtforward floating line. It worked really well up at Salmon river with the imatation eggs. I will have to see how it does with some of my Bass poppers/streamers. I did try a 9wt line before and did not get very good results.. I think alot of it is my lack of experience with fly lines to begin with. I'm slowely catching on. Anyways, great advice....I was thinking of purchasing a 10wt or 12wt rod just for them. Maybe I won't have to.

DJBerg wrote:
fast action pole. So if I am correct, the pole is stiff, a heavier line will load the pole more and hold more momentum to throw larger, less arrow dynamic flies a bit farther

Dear DJ,

They're rods. Not poles, rods. I'm aware of just how obnoxious it is to correct you, but I assure you I am likely not the only person who cringes every time you write "pole," which would probably be fully accurate if you were talkin aboot pappy's 12' crappie pole (or a tenkada pole, which I suppose, is really one and the same anyways except for the decimal place).

The simplified answer is, "rods have guides, poles are sticks." While they are, essentially, interchangable words in today's day and age, it ends up making the user sound like Andy Griffith. I'm pretty positive you're not Andy Griffith.

Rod. Sweet babby Jebus, its a rod.

Thank you for your time,

[d]Tim Mu[/d]gfen.

Now for the other guy: Your leader is too long and your fly rod (ROD!) is a compromised one trick pony, respectively.

You're trying to throw bulky poppers and other assorted giant flies with a 13' leader?! Try cutting 10' off it. Now thrill as you cast 15-20' further. Congrats, there's your lost distance.

You're wondering why a 3wt rod doesn't do what your 6wt rod does? Without even getting into the specifics of why rods are all misweighted affairs*, you're asking a rod that's labeled as a 3wt to do anything useful other than lobbing a hunk of lead into a hole or carry unweighted flies?

Nope. Doesn't work like that. This is why the 5wt (or what is often labeled as a 4wt**) is the default standard for fishing, and not a 3wt, unless all you do is dap jigs, at which point why even carry pretension to casting?

Horses for courses, or something particularly folksy like that. If you want to throw anything substantial, you need a line with mass. If you need a line with mass, you need a rod capable of carrying said line. Its the same reason why you can't cast a giant puffy ball of deer hair with a 10' leader, there's simply no mass to turn the whole thing over and plop it where it needs to go.

[size=x-small]

* - psst, Afish, I noted what you said abotu overlining your 4wt and will assuredly bring it out someday when you mock properly actioned rods from the dawn of time for your overly stiff tomato sticks.
** - i'm lookin' at you, Elite Industry Insider :p[/size]

GFEN:
Glad you got a good sense of humor (Rods vs Poles). I have changed the lengths of leaders/tippets but not down to 3'. I didn't realize I needed to drop to that short of length. I was always worried that the fish would get spooked by the flyline size.
Since you decided to make this forum a mockery!!!! Thanks for the laugh.
Anyways, If you read what I wrote over again with your glasses on (Please clean them first) - pay close attention to what I said about my line for Salmon and the following information for bass fishing. I know I mentioned shortening the length of line.

Sorry for the delay, been down the shore cleaing up the mess. And another storm is about to roll in now. As SBecker said, all my rods are short since I mainly dry fly, and I wanted a 10 footer for nymph and dry fly fishing the bigger stream. The last time I hit the Lehigh I felt like brought a knife to a gun fight. I heard a 10" 4wt would fit the bill for what I need. The rods I currently use are 7 to 8 foot. I am just getting into nymphing and I am sure Becker will say I need all the help I can get! HAHA

By the way Becker, looks like Monday and Tuesday I will be up

Back