Best 4 wt for small streams

billfrech

billfrech

I fish mostly small streams in SE PA and I am researching a new 4 wt. I would be interested in any suggestions for a 4wt both maker and length that you all would suggest.

For purposes of this discussion let's pretend money is not a factor.

Thanks

General answer that doesn't address rod action .....

Redington classic trout - 8', 4wt $100-$150

TFO finesse - 7'9", 4wt $170-$190

Orvis cclearwater - 7', 4wt $195

St Croix imperial - 7'6", 4wt $210

Sage txl - 7'10", 4wt $625

Scott G2 - 7'7", 4wt $745

Any 7'6" 4wt really.

I own a 7'6" 5wt orvis fullflex midge fiberglass that I cant put down as of late. I line it with 5 or 6, it casts very delicate like, feels like a 3wt.
Perfect in my book

If looking for a new rod, easier to acquire, I'd look into the orvis superfine series.

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:
Any 7'6" 4wt really.

This is my favorite configuration. Variety is the spice of life but I always come back to this one.

Money not a worry, then I'd take either an original 7' Payne 98 or 7'-6" Young Perfectionist. IF on a budget, you can get clones of these at much more reasonable price points...

Recently bought a 8' reddington classic trout 4wt and I could not be happier. Picked it up on sale for 75 bucks. If money were no object I still would have bought it.

I would go 8 ft unless you fish a lot of tight quarters. I have been using my TFO Pro 8 ft 4 wt a lot this May/June and I have been loving it.

Tom Morgan 3pc graphite - $1475
Saracione mark IV reel - $925

Use the money you have left over to take the Mrs. to dinner.

Thank you everyone for your reply. I noticed that the Scott Radian has been getting good reviews. Any thoughts on that as a 4 wt small stream rod? I noticed their shortest is 8'6".

Based on rod length, line weight, length of cast / intended use....any rod between $40 and $4000 will be fine. One suggestion, an ultra fast rod will make casting short distance less than fun unless you overline. Get a length of rod that fits your needs and cast them yourself. Don't rely on reviews

For 6 years or so I have been using the Scott G2 7'7" listed in Kray's post. Fits my casting style perfectly for fishing dries but not a nymph rod.

bill - I have quite a few dozen 4wts, mostly shorter than 9'. Although tomi's suggestions for cane mirror what I've been using, I have other actions in that calibre from Leonard, Winston, Orvis, etc. but the 'best' for my style of small stream work are a WR Taylor hollow quadrate, a hex from Marty Karstetter, an old Boron X and an older Hexgraph. Since you are near me in Chester Ct., we ought to just get together and cast some to narrow your personal preferences.

But based on the glass Bill Harms 8'6"5wt that I just got, I'm now thinking his 4wts may push my favorites down the ranking lists.

tl
les

lestrout wrote:
bill - I have quite a few dozen 4wts

How many fly rods do you have, total?

Just curious.

I own several 4 weight rods but my favorite for small streams is my Sage 3 piece "TXL" 7' . It has been discontinued and replaced with the Sage 4 piece "TXL-F" which they make in a 4 weight 6' 10" version. My TXL can handle any fly I would want to cast on a small stream. It performs well with drys,wets,nymphs and streamers.

Although its not a 4wt, I recently bought an old Skinner-era Orvis Battenkill 2/2 bamboo that's 7'6" and has become my new favorite rod for pretty much all water. I have it lined with a 5 wt DT, and it casts beautifully

pcray sez "
Haha, you don't wanna know how many Les has. I've seen his stash!"

lol Pat - no you haven't. That what you saw is just my working rotation at the moment. There's plenty more backing those up.

Back