Benton, Pa

A

AndyP

I'm going to be up in the Benton area the 1st week of September. Just looking for any suggestions other than Fishing Creek. Any suggestions appreciated as my time will be limited but I will have my evenings free. Thanks.

AndyP wrote:
I'm going to be up in the Benton area the 1st week of September. Just looking for any suggestions other than Fishing Creek. Any suggestions appreciated as my time will be limited but I will have my evenings free. Thanks.

Hey Andy,

There are some nice class A's coming down from the mountain near Ricketts Glen, but they are a bit of a drive and would take a bit of a hike to fish them. Also the upper section of Little Fishing Creek is Class A.

It sounds like fishing time is short, so your best option may be Fishing Creek. There are some nice sections of the stream that may fish well, but it depends on the temps and flow at the time.

Check conditions a week or so before your trip. Good luck.

Thanks for the input. I'll probably just stick to Fishing Creek. I may stay there on Saturday and hike Ricketts Glen with my 4 wt. in hand.

Theres no trout in little fishing Creek don't bother fishing it :p haha in all seriousness I don't know what this dry spell has done to it, we finally got some rain this past week so only time will tell, I haven't been down that way in a couple months

I own property on Fishing Creek in Benton and would say avoid it due to warm temperatures but if you want to fish stick with mornings.

Ron

Check the water tables first. The fish have learned to walk this summer.

Agree with duckfoot. There is really no flow in Benton. The trout are literally in little pools where cooler water/shade may exist. It's really not good for the fish. I have been telling my local guys to stay away from fishing my property until we get some decent temperatures and rainfall.

Ron

Huntington Ck in the Game Lands

Pray for rain I was up that way earlier in the summer fished about an hour and left for another place to fish. Streams up there are very low.
Lots of rain will improve everything in that area, watch the gauge on Fishing Creek. The tributaries are all pretty cold, but they need more flow for fishing to improve.

I second Huntingdon creek. Very scenic with hemlocks to the banks in a lot of places. I would think it would be below 70 degrees due to the shade but who knows with the weather.

HopBack wrote:
I second Huntingdon creek. Very scenic with hemlocks to the banks in a lot of places. I would think it would be below 70 degrees due to the shade but who knows with the weather.

Yup -- you absolutely need to fish it in the SGL though. I have a streamside place on Huntington about two miles up from the mouth (just below where Pine comes in) and the water is up around 75 degrees.

Thanks for the info. I'll look up Huntington Creek on my atlas and see how it goes. Doesn't look like this hot, dry weather pattern is ending soon.

Back