Belize in November - need recommendations

B

Broad_Top

So I have to go to a wedding down there around San Pedro in November - wasn't really keen on the whole thing until it occurred to me that there is great saltwater fishing down there. So now it is suddenly an exciting prospect, and I've never done it nor had I seriously considered it much before.

I've seen a few references to Belize searching here on the forums but not a lot specific to guides. So...who has been there, and is there any advice you can give me on booking a good guide/service? I don't care what we catch, bones, tarpon, permit, as long as I get the real experience.

At a glance it looks like some provide everything except a license. I don't really want to bring anything except clothes.

Any advice anyone is willing to provide is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I fished Belize almost every year from 1984 through 2002.
Stayed at El Pescador most of the time and a few times in town.

It's been a long time since I've fished it.The guide I used to use was named "Wilbur"(whose probably retired) ; he was training his son to be a guide.But don't remember his son's name

What I can tell you about Belize is this:
1)easiest place in the world to get a grand slam(I've fished almost every Out Island in the Bahamas plus the US Keys over the past 40 years)

2)the tarpon fishing can be outstanding ,with some real monsters roaming those water

3)Bonefish there are generally pathetically small and the permit are also generally smallish

4)The most fun fishing there is for the Jack Crevalle...some of the biggest I have ever seen any where

5)The Reef thee is the 2nd largest in the world(after the Great Barrier in Australia),so take advantage of it and go diving or snorkeling

If your short on bone fish/permit and tarpon flys, give me a shout and I'll stock you up
Good luck on the trip and if you need any more info,
please feel free to PM me)
Tom

Tom,

PM sent! Thanks for chiming in!

Brian

Back