Being Watched?

J

Joerugs

Another Question; When you are fishing, do you mind if someone approaches you, not to bust into your spot, but to watch you? Reason I ask is, I've been taught to watch others and learn from them. I've had one very nice experience where I approached an older gentleman, introduced myself as I dropped my rod and sat on the ground and announced that I'd just like to watch from a distance. I asked if he didn't mind. This fine man proceeded to talk his way through everything he was doing as well as pass on his past experiences. He eventually invited me in the creek next to him and showed me how to swing wets and it produced two fish! Other times, when I encountered a fisherman and tried to get close enough to introduce myself, he assumed I was coming to hog his spot or jump him up the stream. He gave me a colder shoulder then the water I was in! The only thing I got out of him was which way he was headed, then I politely backtracked the way I came.

I've done both. No issue with being watched, if other anglers ask questions I'm more than happy to answer. Most people treated me good when I was a kid starting out, I try to play that forward.

Anglers wouldn’t watch me unless they wanted to see how one can do almost everything unconventionally and still catch fish. On the other hand, I’ve had a great blue heron watch me from afar and close up, flying in and stationing himself within less than a rod’s length whenever I was landing a trout. This went on for about an hour.

It depends where I am. If I'm at a spot that's popular, I don't mind at all.

If I'm at a spot in a popular area that hardly gets fished, I either won't fish or I'll make an effort to not catch anything while I'm being watched. An example of this would be a seldom fished area in a steelhead river where I know holds fish but most other people don't. Or a sneaky wading spot on the upper delaware that generally has risers.

It takes work to find spots like these, and they are great spots when you only have an hour or so to fish. To be honest I've snaked some of these spots myself.

If you see someone pop out of their truck, grab a fly rod, with no vest or waders, and make a beeline to a spot, chances are that's a good spot.

If you don't like being watched, make it boring and do everything you can NOT to catch anything.

It always seems like I never catch anything when someone is watching. Yesterday I was on the Perkiomen, fishing from the bank and a guy walked up on the bridge above me. After a minute or two and a short conversation while I was getting skunked, the guy split.

About 5 minutes after he left, I got a fish... :)

It depends where I am. If I'm at a spot that's popular, I don't mind at all.

If I'm at a spot in a popular area that hardly gets fished, I either won't fish or I'll make an effort to not catch anything while I'm being watched. An example of this would be a seldom fished area in a steelhead river where I know holds fish but most other people don't. Or a sneaky wading spot on the upper delaware that generally has risers.

It takes work to find spots like these, and they are great spots when you only have an hour or so to fish. To be honest I've snaked some of these spots myself.

If you see someone pop out of their truck, grab a fly rod, with no vest or waders, and make a beeline to a spot, chances are that's a good spot.
First I will address the OP. I normally don't mind either way. I am not sure if I ever taught anyone who was watching me, but I have learned quite a bit by watching others, especially the old timers, which I guess I am now.

Anyway, Moon's post reminded me of one of those moments that started out not so great.

There is a section of the Grand River in Ohio that I knew very well. It is where I caught quite a few Steelhead, including my first one. Along this stretch there are a few big holes that are quite popular, but I always did well in spots that were not so popular.

One day I was just out for a ride with my wife. It was early fall, and I wanted to scout out some spots. We were driving along the dirt road that follows parallel to this stretch. This road is under water several times a year, so calling it a road is a stretch. But it does lead to a small park.

Anyway, I was passing a pickup heading in the opposite direction. Both of us were going quite slow and had our windows open. As we were passing, we made eye contact and I said "how are you doing?" I didn't even stop. It was meant as a friendly hello. The response I got back was just a dirty look. To make this easier to write, lets call him Richard Cranium from Cleveland.

Well, I watched him in the mirror and saw that he parked close to the path that heads down to the biggest and most popular hole.

I turned to my wife and said "watch this."

I parked along the road maybe a couple hundred yards from this guy. I had no intention of fishing that day and didn't even have the fly gear along, but I did have a spinning rod and a tackle box with some bass lures in it. So, I grabbed that spinning rod and said to the wife, I'm going to go catch dinner. She settled in to read a book as I walked to the river (no waders) to one of those lesser known spots I mentioned. This was line of site to the large hole that Richard was likely heading to. I then tied on a jointed Rebel minnow. First cast and WHAM! I saw it coming like a torpedo just under the surface. I reeled it in and left, hoping that Richard was watching.

OK, it was the second cast. First one resulted in a birds nest and barely made it into the water, so I took a mulligan. But in a way, that makes the story even better if Richard was watching. Wife was surprised that I came back so soon. I believe every steelhead I ever caught was on a fly rod, cept that one.

Last edited:
I don’t watch people and don’t care to watch others. I don’t care if you fish right next to me, jump in front of me or if you want to talk unless you want to tell me about your tenkara rod. Watching me would totally creep me out.

I've had people point me out as someone to talk to about what the fishing are hitting on....At that point, I get a bit conscientious of what i'm doing. I've had an occasion where I felt that someone/something was watching me....Turned out to be a red fox. I always ask the person who is fishing the area if they'd mind if I fished by them - I kinda expect the same from others - however that doesn't always go that way.

I have learned a lot from watching the more experienced people I have fished with. I have also learned a lot from riverside conversations with strangers too.

However I don’t think I would just walk up, sit down and watch a stranger. First I’d rather be fishing and second I’m sure I would make them feel like I want their spot on the water. There is a lot of territoriality in this sport. I know I’m a bit self conscious and I’m no role model to watch, and I’d hate to make anyone else feel that way.

Being watched? That's funny. I'm startled when I even see another fisherman, let alone one of them watching me. :)

I have learned a lot from watching the more experienced people I have fished with. I have also learned a lot from riverside conversations with strangers too.

However I don’t think I would just walk up, sit down and watch a stranger. First I’d rather be fishing and second I’m sure I would make them feel like I want their spot on the water. There is a lot of territoriality in this sport. I know I’m a bit self conscious and I’m no role model to watch, and I’d hate to make anyone else feel that way.
Good post, and I get that. But in the rare instance when I have stopped to just observe, I usually let the person know that this was all I was doing and I ask if they mind. The last thing I would want is to make someone else feel uncomfortable along a stream.

As far as people watching me? I really don't care. If I do see someone watching, I'll usually start a conversation. I may even offer to step aside and invite them to give it a try. If someone is scouting me for nefarious reasons, it is likely that they will simply move along.

I don't get out very often, especially in the last few years. I think I have only fished for trout, once during that time, and it was only for maybe a half hour. Being out is a blessing for me. Catching fish is simply a bonus, and I am just as happy seeing or helping others be successful.

I don't think I had ever been watched by anybody who wanted to learn from my technique for the last 30 plus years. I did have two individuals stop and watch me for extended length of time over the last month or two and I absolutely take that as a compliment. I did recently retire and I fly fish a lot more now than I ever did before, so my technique is much better then it had been in the past. I have no problem with it as long as they're respectful and stay back where they're not spooking the fish.

Typically I'm really private and just don't really wish to be around other people, so it would be quite unusual for me to sit and watch anyone else, but I did stop and ask a young gentleman a couple of months ago if I could watch. He was fishing a spey rod on a stream where I had never seen that technique before. I don't know how to use a spey rod and really enjoyed watching him for a short time. He came out after about 5 minutes and was generous enough to answer all of my questions about the gear and technique. I was better off for the information and I think he took some pride in being the object of my curiosity.

I don't want anyone to watch me fish... ever. I'm too self conscious

Last week I had someone in a pickup truck stop on the dirt road along the stream I was fishing. We were a couple miles back out of the way from anything, and they sat there, tinted windows up, and watched me through the woods for a minute...
Then they drove down the road a little ways out of sight (and towards my vehicle) and let off a couple shots out their vehicle window.

No, I can't say I enjoyed that one

Funny story from a few years ago in MD. I was on a pretty thick tributary quietly crawling through the mountain laurel and kept hearing sticks break out in the woods. I've had this happen enough to know that it's usually deer and nothing to be concerned about.

With deer, they are usually just passing through and they pass you pretty quickly. This stick-breaking stuck with me for quite a while so I started to get curious. There was a trail on the other side of the laurel from the stream and when I got to a runoff streambed I decided to sneak up the streambed and wait up by the trail to see what was going on.

A few moments later a young DNR Police officer popped up over the bank of the runoff. I think she was far more startled than I was because I knew something or someone was coming. She was expecting me to be over on the stream, not standing on the trail waiting for her.

She claimed she was just checking on me to make sure I was ok because she couldn't find me near my truck, but I know she was watching to see if I was killing fish or anything else nefarious. I thanked her for keeping an eye on the fish and we both went on our merry way.

Not what the OP was asking, but I was definitely "being watched".

Funny story from a few years ago in MD. I was on a pretty thick tributary quietly crawling through the mountain laurel and kept hearing sticks break out in the woods. I've had this happen enough to know that it's usually deer and nothing to be concerned about.

With deer, they are usually just passing through and they pass you pretty quickly. This stick-breaking stuck with me for quite a while so I started to get curious. There was a trail on the other side of the laurel from the stream and when I got to a runoff streambed I decided to sneak up the streambed and wait up by the trail to see what was going on.

A few moments later a young DNR Police officer popped up over the bank of the runoff. I think she was far more startled than I was because I knew something or someone was coming. She was expecting me to be over on the stream, not standing on the trail waiting for her.

She claimed she was just checking on me to make sure I was ok because she couldn't find me near my truck, but I know she was watching to see if I was killing fish or anything else nefarious. I thanked her for keeping an eye on the fish and we both went on our merry way.

Not what the OP was asking, but I was definitely "being watched".
Did she ask to see your license?

Did she ask to see your license?
After the initial "oh, there you are", and I laughed, I just pulled my license out of my bag and handed it to her without her asking.

Watchers bring me luck. Somehow my casts get more graceful when there's more than just me, and I tend to catch more and bigger trouts. The longest someone has watched me was three hours - that was on Spring Creek, and he turned out to be an author in our sport- , except for the time a gent on the Beaverkill treated me to a steak dinner and then asked if the next day he could sit on the rock behind me and watch me ffish on Cairn's. The biggest crowd that decided I was worth watching was in North Carolina Smokies - by the time they had finsihed accumulating, there were several dozen onlookers, cheering me on.

Back