Beginners Kit

Hammerhead81

Hammerhead81

Hey everyone,

Hoping to get started tying really soon and would like some feedback on a starter kit. I was leaning toward the Orvis Fly Tying Kit on their site that retails at $160. Anyone have any advice or suggestions for another kit around that price? Or should I stick with the Orvis kit?

Thanks.

Hammerhead........I think you'd be better off to not buy a kit but you do what you want , if i was you i'd let one of the fellows on here that own shops or guide services put a kit together for you , the guy that goes by the name Sandfly owns a shop and there are a few guides that come on here , or go to a local fly shop and let them put one together for you , you'll get more bang for your buck and make a few fly fishing friends in the bargain, GOOD LUCK n HAVE FUN!!!

Everyone says "don't buy a kit because you'll never use half of the poor quality materials and the tools are usually junk!"

They're right, yet somehow I bet we've all got started on kits...

You'll go further buying a set of quality tools and a good vice, then only the materials you need to tie the flies you want in the beginning. I'd say the suggestion to find a good reputable shop to help you with materials is a fine one, wether it be one of the members or local. Reviewing the sort of flies you want is probably an ideal way to get a feel for things, it'll give you an idea of what you get going with.

Or, take the easy way out and buy a kit... I've got plenty of stuff I've never used from my first one, and a vice that's relegated to "back up" duty to prove Osprey, and everyone else, are right when they say its junk..but it worked, and got me into it.

I agree with gfen and osprey. Don't waste your money on a kit. You will be more satisfied buying your tools, vice, and supplies on an individual basis. You will get more for your money. That's what I did. I had a fly tying friend help me. That's the way to go IMO. Good luck and enjoy. Fly tying is very rewarding.

I still use the vise from the kit I bought years ago. AA for life. I cannot justify an upgrade, as it works perfectly fine for sizes 2 to 26.

The rest of the tools and materials in my kit are in my junk drawer.

I started on a kit. I would recommend it, however I wouldn't recommend that kit. I'd venture you could spend $40-50 at Bass Pro/Cabelas and get roughly the same quality. Something you will keep and continue to use, i.e. bodkin, bobin holders, a few hooks, beads, vise (I still tie on my kit vise), whip finisher, head cement, hackle pliers, etc.

If you're going to buy a kit, buy a CHEAP kit. Tie some flies, see what you need, don't need, like, don't like and then use that extra $120 to make a much more educated decision based upon experience.

I kinda took some advice and went to the TCO flyshop site. Those guys are great everytime I've wandered in there at State College. I probably won't be up there til the spring so I figured I'd take a look at their tools/vises and you were all right. I can get ALL the tools at much better quality for a cheaper price when I buy them all separate. This includes a pretty nice vise(I think). I haven't ordered yet BUT, I was thinking about the Griffin Superior 1A vise. Is this a decent choice to start with?

hammerhead
Give sandfly a call ,he will set you up with the right stuff at the right price
I have known him for probably 40 years and he will treat you right
http://www.bigmeadowsflyshop.com/

beadhead2.......that's the first person that came to mind for me also , i don't know sandfly but i've purchased a few things from him and my own experience with fly shop owners is that they are more than willing to help you get started 'cause it's their livelihood , if they get you started and you remain interested they have a customer for life. Another thing is most shop owners will take the time to show you things , firsthand and up close and personal , hands on , help like that is invaluable. I've never hired a guide , but i'm sure they are of the same breed , if they help they will have a return customer. When i got started i had a friend who was already being schooled in tying by a friend of his , my dad and my friend sat down and put together an order for me from "Herters" which came with a Thompson A vise , that i still have , yep for back up and travel kit and yes it still works fine , i still have and use several of the tools and stuff that were part of my first "Kit" If i was just starting out i'd let someone with some knowledge of tying already put your "kit" together for you. I would avoid buying a pre-packaged kit , even though i'm sure an "Orvis" kit probably comes with quality stuff , if you get someone like sandfly to do it for you , you will get more than just material and tools , you'll also get help and knowledge and maybe a friend.

If you're in Pittsburgh, there are a few local fly shops you can visit...

If your looking to spend that much, you could buy a quality vise and tools. Then slowly collect materials. I started buying materials for flies that I fished most. Most generic flies can be tied for cheap. Hackle is where you spend some big bucks. I would suggest learning to tie nymphs, the materials are cheap and if your ties are not the best at first, the fish will still eat them. As you get better and you advance your skills, start tying more involved flies and buying more materials. To each his own, but thats how I went about doing it.

Be it known sandfly has been known to sweeten the pot !! ,if you know what I mean
His stuff is farm fresh !
I'm not trying to put any body else down ,I'm just saying you will get more bang for your buck from sandfly !!!!!!!

I don't want to take money out of someone's wallet, but I guess I'm going to weigh in and do it anyways...

If you don't know what you're doing yet, then I'd definatly want help on picking materials... I'd trust Sandfly immensely to pick out and ship me quality materials, and if I didn't know what I was doing, would be very likely to tell himw hat I want to tie and have him pick out and send me what I need...t he man's got experience, and he seems to be a trustworthy businessman and shop owner.

This matters because not all dead chickens are the same. Some are going to be good for tying itty bitty stuff, and some for medium stuff, and some for no stuff. Same for other dead animal refuse. Help in weeding out the junk is neccessary, hell I do kinda have a clue and I still can't tell what's what.

Now, for the tools? Well, I'd say the above still holds true, on the other hand, a little research here will tell you what you'll need and what's junk...after that, I'd be want to establish a working client relationship with a good local shop, if it wouldn't cost me too much more. You do want to keep these guys in business, too.

Or, I'd let Sandy pick that out, too, coz again, I could be lazy.

I haven't dealt with sandfly, but have never heard anything but positive feedback. I know the man can tie some beautiful flies!

If you are looking local to Pittsburgh, I would recommend International Angler. Neshannock Creek is a little farther of a drive but you could fish and hit the fly shop. I think both have tying classes in the winter, although I believe Neshannock's classes are filled. Both shops have great guys working there and have always treated me very well over the years.

I got a kit years ago as a Christmas Gift, it was one of the best gifts I've ever recieved. The materials were marginal at best, the vise spun many a fly and has since been retired. I've upgraded materials and my vise, but I credit that kit to getting me into tying.

A vise, a couple of good bobbins--recommend ceramic tip, couple pair of scissors(one fine & sharp, one used to cut variety of materials), whip finisher, hair stacker and a half hitch should be what you need to get started.

Buy the materials as needed. Pick out a couple of flys that you want to tie and buy the materials needed. If you stick with it, over time you'll build up all that you need. Also, don't be afraid to substitute materials for something similar.

Good luck, let us know what you end up doing.

my advice on getting started tying to see if you like it is a kit but definatly get a better book to teach you the basics
i like this book its a really good book and worth its weight...
http://www.amazon.com/Benchside-Introduction-Tying-2006-publication/dp/B000QHCRJ4/ref=sr_1_33?ie=UTF8&qid=1289768163&sr=8-33

Hammerhead81 wrote:
I was thinking about the Griffin Superior 1A vise. Is this a decent choice to start with?

Not sure if it's the same model, but I have a low price Griffin vise that has served me well for many years.

flipnfly wrote:
my advice on getting started tying to see if you like it is a kit but definatly get a better book to teach you the basics
i like this book its a really good book and worth its weight...
http://www.amazon.com/Benchside-Introduction-Tying-2006-publication/dp/B000QHCRJ4/ref=sr_1_33?ie=UTF8&qid=1289768163&sr=8-33

This has been discussed many times, here and else where, and to a certain point, you shouldn't need to buy a book. There are TONS of great, free, information on the web to check out.

Davie McPhail's YouTube channel is the absolute best. Davie is a phenomenal tier, and also a great educator. A lot of the "B" tying video on youtube are B's not because of the quality of the tie, but the quality of the person explaining the tie. Davie is like the Bob Ross of fly tying.

Another notable mention is Loren Williams site, Fly Guys Outfitting . Loren ties a lot of very popular patterns for the North East and uses an astonishing amount of detail in his photography and descriptions. His articles on techniques are good too.

Fishidiot wrote:
Hammerhead81 wrote:
I was thinking about the Griffin Superior 1A vise. Is this a decent choice to start with?
Not sure if it's the same model, but I have a low price Griffin vise that has served me well for many years.

I have the Griffith Odyssesy Spider, which is a rotary vise with the same head. Its sturdy, holds what I need it to, and is only slightly cramped at the back end because of the rotary "feature," this version alleviates that.

Its a good vise, and this one looks sturdier than mine. It'd last you for years, I'm sure.

wsender wrote:

This has been discussed many times, here and else where, and to a certain point, you shouldn't need to buy a book. There are TONS of great, free, information on the web to check out.

Davie McPhail's YouTube channel is the absolute best. Davie is a phenomenal tier, and also a great educator. A lot of the "B" tying video on youtube are B's not because of the quality of the tie, but the quality of the person explaining the tie. Davie is like the Bob Ross of fly tying.

Another notable mention is Loren Williams site, Fly Guys Outfitting . Loren ties a lot of very popular patterns for the North East and uses an astonishing amount of detail in his photography and descriptions. His articles on techniques are good too.

Gotta agree with this approach. Before the days of youtube and guys tying and posting videos on the net, a book had much more value. McPhail is an amazing tyer, his videos are mesmerizing! The Fly Guys website is also stellar.

Books are still good as reference, but I'd invest that money into tools, vice and materials and or a local tying class first.

yeah i hear you there but the book is somehting you can pass along when you teach your skills try passing along a you tube channel by the time someone captures the video stores it for years and then tries to replay it that technology will be way out dated like who still watches beta tapes or laser discs? or reel to reel? all im saying is books will stand the test of time and there nothing like having something physical there that you dont have to quit tying to rewind.....

Back