Beginners:best online instructions to get stratred

A

AFISHN

IMO this is one of the best links to geet a newcomer to ff started.
Check it out:it covers everything including insects,casting.etc,etc

http://away.com/weekend-guide/travel-ta-fly-fishing-sidwcmdev_057785.html?utm_source=outbrain&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=outbrain

the orvis fly fishing guide book helped me out tremendously as well as reading thread after thread on many boards, then you start rehashing the info and eventually are the one answering questions.

Some say fly fishing takes a lifetime to learn; I really beg to differ. Someone started a thread about becoming a guide a year after they started fly fishing on another board a few years ago and he was laughed at pretty hard. 2 years later, 2 of my best friends who started that year are now guiding in Alaska and very successful at it.

*Supposed-sugar-coat*

For fly tying:
http://www.kwsu.org/Offers/FlyTying.aspx

For casting, parts 1-3 at:
Tight Lines Fly Shop

fishbaithohaha :your tying link doesn't work
Tom

Sorry, I aplogize for being deficient in IT skills.

The site is Washington State University's pbs. They tie three flies in each show, generally a dry and two others. Each show demonstrates a different technique or skill. The show's host are easy to listen to and informative.

Notice, at the end of the fourth season, one of the host is replaced by a woman, She is very likeable and informative. I never have discerned the reason for the switch.

Thank you for supplying a link Heritage.

fishbaithohaha wrote:
I never have discerned the reason for the switch.

Dave Engerbretson died. He was a PA boy, BTW.

Again, thank you for information. I am sorry to learn of his passing.

Fishbait,

You included a colon at the end of the link. Get rid of that, and it works.

fishbaithohaha wrote:
Again, thank you for information. I am sorry to learn of his passing.

Watch episode 401. Very sad. I always thought Dave was a better tyer than Leroy Hyatt. Dave brought a PA perspective to those episodes, and often corrected Leroy (politely).

A third thank you. Although I have visited the site numerous times, I never watched episode 401. It was sad.

The interplay between the two gentleman added a nice element to the series. I do like Carolyn.

Heritage, was the series cancelled after season four?

Also, could you suggest a method for editing my post with the link?

If the edit button is still present below the post, use that. If it's gone, it's officially burned into the eternal memory of the internet.

fishbaithohaha wrote:
Heritage, was the series cancelled after season four?

Looks that way to me. I've watched every episode at least once.

Some of Leroy's ties are really good, but others...yuk.

There's a lot of good techniques being taught there, regardless.

the "edit" is gone.

I think the most important lessons from the series is:

1. You can always learn something new.
2. There isn't wrong, there is better.

spirit river fly tying series on u tube.

Back