Beginner fly tier

the orvis kit is nice but it is about twice the price of a nearly similar cabellas version.they're both nice really.
it sure beats how i started with sewing thread and hemostats as my vise.i used to put the hook into hemostats and the hemostats into a bench vise.
when i bought a kit at brinkmans,i was blown away.

Cabela's sells some really nice fly tying kits. I'm only 14 and I bought a fly tying kit there and was tying wooly buggers, PT nymphs, and any other fly I fish with in only a number of weeks. Cabelas has a $20 tool kit with great tools and then you can buy the materials that you need to tie the flies that you want to tie instead of wasting money on the big kits with the materials you won't even use. Cabelas has some really nice quality tools and materials at great prices.

Depends on what you're closer to, Ovis or Cabellas. They both have great entry level kits with good tools and the prices are close to the same.

Just another idea/thought, on this topic for you.

I know, that my fly shop still carries these, so I'm sure someone else should have them close to your location. I'm speaking of the "Tie-a-Fly" kits, that are available.

In each kit is enough material, (and "good" material at that), to tie up about 6 flies of one standard pattern. Like the kit for the "Adams", each one has the hooks, all the materials and very good instructions, with pictures and written instructions, to get the job done.

All, you need, is the thread, basic tools and a vise.

would it be a bad idea to buy tools and a vise, and the materials I need for a pattern or two to start? then go from there? The only problem I've seen so far is that I don't know anything about the materials and there are so many of them! Maybe with a little help I could create a list of materials.

Not a bad idea. Most everyone starts with a wolly bugger, so if you get the marabou, hackle, chenille, thread, hooks, weighting wire and head cement all you'll need is a vise, bobbin, bodkin, scissors, whip finnisher and hackle pliers. Don't forget an intro to fly tying book and you'll be on your way. Good luck, it's very addicting but not nearly as bad for you as some stuff.

good idea chstrcnty,although a kit is a way to get all the stuff you need at somewhat of a discount.
what am i saying ?you never get all the stuff you need.almost every new fly you come across has some "new" product that you can't live without.

anyway,if you tell us the fly you use and lose the most,we could tell you the hook and materials you need.you might already own some of the material in a sewing box or hardware drawer.

then all you need is a vise,bobbin holder,and a bic pen as a half hitch tool.you probably already have scissors :)

there are vises as cheap as $15 that are fine.

do you ebay?

BTW,and i'll probably repeat this at some point,i started catching more fish when i started tying.those trout seem to like them buggier than store bought.good luck.

I would also like to tie some midge nymphs

well see,there you go,saving already.you can tye a midge and a scud on the same hook.usually smaller with the midge.i like a mustad c49s. a tmc 2487 has a rounder bend and would be easier to get a glass bead on if you use that on your midge.of course you don't have to have a scud hook,you could use a nymph/wet fly hook.

i guess he's tying more of a sowbug than a scud.in any event you could save money by using copper wire cut out of an extencion cord for the ribbing,or you could use tippet for the ribbing.
you could use plastic bag,pheasant tail ,raffia,or antron for the back,rather than stripping peacock herl.

the wapsi sowscud dubbing is nice stuff and easy to work with.
you can tye a sow bug with rabbit or hares ear,cat fur etc.

ok now i need to put together a full list of things to buy I would like to buy everything from cabela's because I can just order it.
So for a scud and zebra midge. Are there any other flies that I could tie up using mostly the same materials. I don't want to go crazy and buy a bunch of stuff until I know what im doing. This is what I picked out online so far. Correct me if I made any mistakes.
Tool kit(with vise)
mustad c49 fly hook size 16 and 20
8/0 tying thread (olive and black)
rabbit and antron dubbing(olive)
glass beads
water based head cement

I can scavenge some copper wire around here somewhere.
Also plastic bag for the scud back

Should I get wire to weight my scuds?

I have no idea what kind of feathers, or hair to get at all, but I know i'll eventually want to tie some dries and midge emergers.

I'd get some deer hair and a few various colors of dubbing. That allows you to tie simple caddis and comparaduns for whatever dry fly that you have the proper dubbing for. You can get a mulicolored dubbing kit pretty cheap. You can use your curved hooks to tie caddis at all stages, provided they aren't too heavy.

is dubbing different for dries and nymphs? If I bought a kit would I be able to use it for both?

You can use different dubbing, but I don't worry about it too much. The sowscud dubbing won't work for dries, but for anything else, as long as it's not too buggy, it'll work.

Here's my updated list. I got rid of the midge pattern idea just because I don't want to buy more hooks because it seems like I won't use them all.
Tool kit with vise
size 16 scud hook
size 18 dry fly hook
8/0 thread in olive and tan
dubbing
deer hair
water based head cement

This is the dubbing, it just occured to me that it says it is waterproofed. That can't be good for nymphs. Maybe I should just buy some other dubbing for my scuds and get this as well. Or maybe if I just weighted it with wire then it would still be ok. What do you think?
superfine dubbing

I'd get the Cabellas premium kit and add the other goodies as I needed them. I don't know how much I have tied up in tying gear but I have a setup on it's own desk with storage cabinets at home and a traveling stram bag. I was lucky enough to score two Renzetti traveler vises for the price of less than one so I am light years ahead.m My buddy has all the older tols that I upgraded to Dr Slick so he's set too.

Look around and see if you can't find a Wapsi kit to compare.

Like most of the others have said, avoid the cheap all-in-one fly tying kits. They will do one of two things; either the hooks will slip in the vise and you'll end up becoming frustrated and giving it up all together, or else you will become frustrated and end up buying higher quality stuff, thus wasting the money you spent on the kit.

In my opinion, a good vise is a must. That doesn't mean you need a $300 vise. There are plenty of very well made vises available for under $200 - Renzetti, Dan-Vise, Dyna-King and HMH off the top of my head (my personal favorite is the HMH Standard but lots of people like true-rotary vises). The vise is probably the most important fly tying tool you will purchase and the only way to get something that works for you is to tie on them. Either find a friend that has a model you're interested in and tie a few flies on it or else go to a shop. Most shops will be happy to let you tie a few flys on different vise models.

The second most important thing is scissors. Don't skimp on the scissors either. Dr. Slick make some really great scissors for $20 or less. Personally I favor the Wiess Quick-Snips which are also available for under $20, but have a look at scissors from different manufacturers and see what you prefer. Another piece of advice, if you can afford it buy two pairs of scissors - one pair for cutting delicate stuff (thread, etc.) and one pair for cutting tougher stuff that will quickly dull your "good" scissors (tinsel, wire, hair).

In my opinion, those are the two most important things - vise and scissors. What tools you'll need other than that will depend mostly on what type of flies you're interested in tying.

As far as materials, I have to echo what has already been said here. Buy the materials that you'll need to tye one or two of the patterns you'll be fishing most. Perhaps an Adams and a Hare's Ear Nymph for trout. After that, simply continue to purchase what you need to tye the patterns you want to tye and you'll quickly amass a great variety of materials.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy it. I love tying every bit as much as I love actually fishing. If done properly, they both give vast amounts of enjoyment for a lifetime. If you're anything like the rest of us, you'll begin haunting the craft stores and staring yearningly at roadkill you pass on the highway! Enjoy!

-Darryl

hey chstrcnty,size 16 and 18 are a little small to start with.you might get frustrated.try some 12's and 14's first.trust me.you can go through a hundred hooks in no time.

and cross the head cement off the list.all the cool kids use sally hansen hard as nails nail polish now days.you apply it with a toothpick or needle.

Back