Beginner class

G

Grape

Today my father in law and I took the Orvis FF101 class in Plymouth Meeting and if you are like us, completely new to FF, you cant beat it! An hour on casting basics and an hour on rigging/flys/etc was well worth the price of admission, FREE! You walk away with some very nice store coupons and a Free Membershio to TU.

I know a couple of the guys that were there today are on here so if you are reading this, thanks! Looking forward to the FF201class.

Yep, that's a great opportunity for beginners.

I haven't done any fly fishing in all most 30 years,so a refresher course would be nice. I see a lot of guys using strike indicators for nymph fishing. I don't ever remember seeing these when I fished. I used to just watch the end of the fly line.With my old eyes,I think strike indicators would be nice!

ralphs007 wrote:
I haven't done any fly fishing in all most 30 years,so a refresher course would be nice. I think strike indicators would be nice!

They do help a lot in my opinion.
To be sure, you'll get different opinions on strike indicators, but I'm firmly in the camp that likes them and thinks they are especially helpful to beginners learning how to nymph fish.
Strike indicators really took off about 30-35 years ago so your memory is about right.

I have my son(10 YO) and myself signed for the June 4th class, also at Plymouth Meeting. I figure, with me being out of the game as long as I have been & him just getting started it should be a real beneficial couple of hours.

With strike indacators it's all preference. I started fly fishing at 12 and just learned from books and Internet mainly YouTube. I don't fish with and indacator mainly because I switched up fly styles a lot and going from a nymph to streamers is a lot easier. It's been 4-5 years and still don't like the indacators

I am a big fan of tight lining, however there are definitely times when an indicator is a must. The key is to know those situations and how to adjust. An indicator creates more drag (depending on the size, the bigger indicator the greater drag). Sometimes you are fishing deep and fast water where the necessary amount of weight will take a small indicator or fly line way under rendering it useless. Finding a balance requires trial and error. As I said at the beginning I would much rather fish without one but a 20+ foot cast doesn't leave much of an option. The ability to be flexible changing indicator size, shot wieight and distance between the two will often reward you with fish who rarely see a decently presented fly. I make many adjustments to my set up before I ever change flies. So many times when asked what they are taking I want to respond with a good drift, however in order to not come across like an #censor# most of the time I say midges. Remember if your indicator is moving the same speed as the current on top you are dragging badly underneath.

Back