Beetles...Foam v. Crowe

hbgbswanson

hbgbswanson

I have a bunch of foam beetles, I like them for dry dropper setups but I was wondering should I carry some crowe beetles to my arsenal? I know they're more fragile but are there advantage to foam in the way they drift or something else? I really don't find them much more difficult to tie.

I prefer foam beetles myself. They float like a cork and require NO floatant. They also last and are pretty tough.

Foam is far superior IMO - I rarely tie terrestrials with deer hair anymore.

I still prefer crowe beetles.
There's something about the look of them that I like over foam - along with the little plop it makes when cast.

And even though they're not as durable as the foam ones, I don't mind replacing them often. They're so easy to tie, that I'm happy even when I only catch a couple fish on one

I prefer tying and fishing foam beetles, but dryflyguy is right. Sometimes, nothing works better than a Crowe beetle. I agree on the plop they make - it works!

I'm foamaphobic, but I have to admit it seems like an easy to use material that has a lot of positives. On the other hand, the Crowe beetles certainly work. Like any other choice in fly tying/fishing, it comes down to what you have confidence in and enjoy doing. The materials are cheap enough and you probably already have what you need, so tie up a few and see which you prefer.
On a different, but related note, has anyone tried AK Best's beetle with the little wings sticking out the back?

I would suggest having both and fishing foam 90% of the time. Sometimes if you get a tough bank feeder or picky fish and the foam isn't cutting it. toss a smaller crowe beetle which is a more realistic pattern.

This is how my terrestrial box is setup. Mosty foam beetles with a few crowes sprinkled in.

Very sound advice carrying both, thanks to everyone as I was interested in your thoughts.

I'm heading up to Lamar this weekend, tied a pattern in one of CVTU's newsletters Gerry Kerstetter's Strike Beetle. Excited, as I like fishing dry droppers but hate tying off the bend. The pattern has a mono loops off the tail, I did spruce the pattern up with some crystal flash legs and peacock herl but they look reallly good.

I still prefer Crowe Beetles. They get beat up a little more but they often seem to work better the more mangled they get.

Swanson -

Fishing creek would be an ideal test for both kinds of beetles.
If you do try them both - let us know your conclusion

FrequentTyer wrote:
On a different, but related note, has anyone tried AK Best's beetle with the little wings sticking out the back?

Hi Mike - I haven't tried his beetle with the wings, but his flying ant pattern with the plastic bag waffle strip wing kicks serious butt!

I'm running low on that baggie material, so I'll have to grab a box next time I go grocery shopping. I'll save you a few baggies.

Within the next month or two, I'll be getting a hold of you to start planning the Tying Jam. We're gonna have some great prizes for our raffle this year!

Foam for smaller beetles... Deer hair for large beetles. A size ten deer hair beetle will move a suprising amount of fish

Heritage-Angler wrote:
FrequentTyer wrote:

Hi Mike - I haven't tried his beetle with the wings, but his flying ant pattern with the plastic bag waffle strip wing kicks serious butt!

I'm running low on that baggie material, so I'll have to grab a box next time I go grocery shopping. I'll save you a few baggies.

Within the next month or two, I'll be getting a hold of you to start planning the Tying Jam. We're gonna have some great prizes for our raffle this year!

Sounds great Ed! I'm looking forward to it.

Crowe, hands down. The more thye get beat up the more fish they catch. Makes one wonder why we tie them so full. When the deer hair breaks it makes legs, genious!

Maurice -

I remember that during another crowe beetle discussion on here, you suggested tying them with bear hair. Makes them more durable I believe?
I've been keeping my eyes open for it in fly shops. But haven't found any yet

Back