Beetle Patterns

beadhead2 wrote:
Here is a coffee bean beetle I tied

beadhead

Good looking beetle pattern! I've heard of coffee pattern before, first time I've ever seen one. Does it last long?

I like fishing beetles and have done very well with them. My favorite pattern is the crowe beetle, they do get beat up pretty fast but they do work. May give that coffee pattern a try, wonder if Maurice ties them.

PaulG

Have not tried them yet
I tied some for our TU raffle at our meeting and one fellow got them but I don't know whether he fished them or not
tying instructions
Clean groove out of bean (careful beans are soft)
put a thread base on hook
tie in crystal flash for legs (cut thread off)
glue thread and bean
put on hook let dry
pull legs up and glue to underside of bean
coat the whole bean with Sally Hansen hard as nails (clear)

Don't think its bait, especially if you add peacock herl and paint or lacquer the body. I see no difference between this and using cork.

I tie and use a lot of beetles. Mine are a little simpler than most of the ones shown above. I use craft foam from wal-mart or craft store. For a size 14 hook I cut the foam into 3/16th inch wide strip. I also use standard dry fly hooks. I feel it keeps them floating longer. Lay down a layer of therad back to just past the bend of the hook. Cut the end of the foam to a point and tie it in at the end of the thread raps. Tie in two or three pieces of peacock herl at the same point and wind it forward to about 1/16th inch behind the eye, tie it off. Pull the foam forward and tie it off at this point. Pull therad tight to compress the foam. Lift the foam an wip finish under the foam. Trim the foam to form the head as shown in one of the previous posts. I do not paint or add dots to mine. I just use bright orange,green or yellow foam. the fish don,t seem to care. In fact these work better for me than the black ones.

I have noticed in SC PA that the invasive stink bug beetles are currently making a big migration indoors. Perhaps that is a good omen of cool weather being here to stay, though a nuissance to your dwelling.

For those that either harvest or pump stomachs, I would be interested to know whether trout (or other fish) are taking these stink bugs in good numbers.

Sorry for the hijack.

DGC wrote:
I have noticed in SC PA that the invasive stink bug beetles are currently making a big migration indoors. Perhaps that is a good omen of cool weather being here to stay, though a nuissance to your dwelling.

I've noticed 'em too. Ants are suddenly on the move around here as well. I think it might have something to do with the extreme heat and dryness that has persisted for so long now suddenly followed but wet conditions. While I've never seen, that I can recall, a trout eating these stink bugs, their general profile - wide and flat - would likely be a trigger. I think beetles and terrestrials are under rated for trout fishing in the fall. Everyone wants to chase olives but, most of the time, I think terrestrials are your best bet in the period up until late Nov for dry fly fishing.

I have, perhaps sadistically, tossed these creeps into spider webs that I allow to persist in certain spots in my apartment. It seems to me that house spiders will trap and wrap these stink bugs, but after a few sucks, cut them loose. Just about anything else, such as silverfish, they will suck dry. Not a valid sample perhaps.

Anyway, if fish react with similar culinary repugnance, the beetle profile that has always been a winner trout fly could temporarily become a turn-off in an area where they enter the water in good numbers, hence establishing a pattern of avoidance for fish, not attraction.

I certainly agree that on first greeting, the pattern profile of the stink bug is too much like every other beetle and will likely get eaten. But, then we have to factor in the stink release and wheher that happens in the stream, and whether that release would result in a last-second refusal by an olfactorily insulted trout.

Just theories of a madman with too much time on his hands, today.

DGC wrote:

Anyway, if fish react with similar culinary repugnance, the beetle profile that has always been a winner trout fly could temporarily become a turn-off in an area where they enter the water in good numbers, hence establishing a pattern of avoidance for fish, not attraction.

I certainly agree that on first greeting, the pattern profile of the stink bug is too much like every other beetle and will likely get eaten. But, then we have to factor in the stink release and wheher that happens in the stream, and whether that release would result in a last-second refusal by an olfactorily insulted trout.

Just theories of a madman with too much time on his hands, today.

Makes sense to me.
There's a big lady bug migration in this part of the state later in the fall, usually about mid-October and I've often wondered if fish key on their profile (or come to avoid it as you suggest) during that time of year. Since I've had great beetle fishing in the fall in past years, I'd hedge a bet that trout seek, rather than avoid, general beetle shaped food sources.
Maybe something to look out for later this year.
Time to flick some bugs in the water. :)

I don't even know what to say DGC. That last line may sum it up! LOL!

instead of legs or hackle, I use sparse peacock or black ice dub for the body ...it will sit flush and still have a buggy look from below.

jeff

One of the things that seems to help me with fishing crowe beetle patterns that are hard to see is to really whack the fly down hard on the water , from that initial splat it makes it easier to see where your fly is and the splat gets their attention , if you lose sight of it on the drift a little twitch , just enough to move the fly a little will keep you in touch with where you're at. Another thing is that if you aren't sure where your fly is set the hook if you see a rise even if you don't think your fly is there , when in doubt strike , alot of times you end up getting them even though you thought there's no way my fly is there.

Tie in a "Post" of high vis bright foam on top of your beetle. I use yellow or orange. You can see it then even in faster water. Leave the "Post" stick up above the body just a little. It's funny because you can't see the beetle on the water just this bright "Post". It also helps to ensure you are getting a good drift because you can see it!

I tie some foam beetles with Estaz under the foam and a small amount of Glow Bug Yarn on top as an indicator. Very easy to tie and most guys that tie for Salmon or Steelhead should have the materials.

FishON.......estaz is a good idea for beetle vis i'm gonna try that , my eyes aint what they used to be and every little bit helps

a little excessive, but cool nonetheless. Really like the shiny foam...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Mi6fhzUx2k

It's from Davie, it has to be good!

Back