Beaverkill

Makee

Makee

I took a day this weekend and made the trip up to Roscoe NY to fish the beaverkill river with two friends. we left at 1:30 am and got to the river at about 5:30 and were fishing until around 9:00 PM. I can say that I had a blast going down the river from spot to spot. I really enjoyed the history behind the area and all of the great scenery, the place is BEAUTIFUL. this is by far the best place that I have been fishing so far, I even got my hands on some good fish throughout the day. I know it doesn't mean much coming from a beginner but if you ever have the chance to go and fish this river I hope you jump at the chance. I cant wait to go back, I'm already thinking about planning my next trip there.

here is a link to the best brown I caught

http://web.stagram.com/p/748558662250924546_242395129

The Beaverkill is a special place. Glad you had a good time.

I hadn't been going up much for the past few years, but started again this spring and had some good days. The rainbows in the lower river were off the hook this spring. Probably need to wait to the fall before they come back from the Delaware branches.

It is a great place that filled with tons of FF-ing history. You were fortunate to have the flow and temps this time of year. Most years, by mid / late l June, that place gets too warm to fish. Hope it keeps raining up there and keeps water in the rivers.

Did you get to see the circus act at Cairns Pool?

I'll get in that circus every couple years. A lot of times I'll park, sit on the tailgate and watch. There are some fine casters that show occasionally

no I avoided that, I saw too many cars there and figured I would move along to something less packed

You can always sit on the bench there too and listen to some real beauties blow about anything and everything. Last time i was there some guy was using a surf rod with about a 10 lb sinker in there. Everytime it hit the water it was like a bomb went off.

Another time i was there in the spring it was freezing/snowing and some guy was fishing in a T-shirt. I was frozen and I dressed warm with a wading jacket. I asked him if he got cold and he said this is nothing and that he fishes the salmon river like this in the winter and then he proceeded to tell me he averages 30 steelhead hookups everytime he goes. yeah there's some real beauts there.

Hey Andy I sent you a PM did you get it?

Did not get your PM. I watched a 65-70 yr old guy go down in that pool in the last week of April. Water might have been 50 which was warmer than the air. He went all they way under and didn't come back up on his own. Had to be helped from river and was shaking so bad he couldn't get his gear off. Kinda scary.

Nice fish.

I've had some wonderful fishing and memories of fishing the Beaverkill over the years, including a 26" brown trout caught on Cairns Pool one mid-June morning. I have a picture me holding that fish shortly before I released it.

should have seen it in the 70's was a lot better than now.

I will agree the flood/drought yo-yo of the last decade has taken its toll, but the rainbow fishing in the lower river was very good to me this spring. The lower Willow had more brookies steadily rising than I've seen in a long time. IMHO, the numbers of large browns and the hatches that draw them up have suffered. That said, this spring was one of the better ones for me in a few years.

Back