Bear carcass on the Lehigh

C

Clams

Spotted by my son while fishing the Lehigh yesterday.

210F68C2 666E 4E6A B947 4BA8531319C2

Curious if it drowned trying to cross the river during a white water release . Seeing lots of reports of kayakers that flipped and lost their kayaks on the river last weekend in the gorge . The Lehigh is no place for a unexperienced kayaker or bear .

That won‘t be a pleasant smell for a while.

Here's a couple more pics

285870914 5146859808763884 1738021434832513508 n
285020579 5146859898763875 2032194786779568096 n

Curious if it drowned trying to cross the river during a white water release . Seeing lots of reports of kayakers that flipped and lost their kayaks on the river last weekend in the gorge . The Lehigh is no place for a unexperienced kayaker or bear .
USGS says the release was about 750cfs both days last weekend. That's a typical release and nothing that extreme really. Anything is possible, but I doubt that would usually be enough to drown a healthy bear.

Can I ask where on Lehigh. That's a new one for me!!

It was my son not me so I'm not exactly sure. Somewhere between the turnpike tunnel and the gorge.

Are there any steep areas or cliffs that it could have fallen down? Although there didn’t seem to be any broken bones in the photo.

Could have eaten something that was poisonous.

Rattlesnake or copperhead bite? It looks to be over 200 lbs so that is an unlikely cause of death.

Very strange.

I was thinking hit by a car and ran to river and died. The river parallels 248, 209 and the turnpike in that section. Perhaps also a tangle with another bear. This looks to be a male but can't really tell that well from pic's.

Someone I spoke with today said it was just above the ruins of the Bowmanstown dam when they saw it.

That area would definitely increase the likelihood of being struck by car, unless it washed down to there from upstream. Still very unique sight. Thanks for sharing this.

That area would definitely increase the likelihood of being struck by car, unless it washed down to there from upstream. Still very unique sight. Thanks for sharing this.
I would think it could've entered the river (whether dead or alive) anywhere up to the FEW dam and been carried down through the gorge in high water before landing on that gravel bar.

A very unusual sight for sure. I'd imagine it is bloated to an extent, giving it a slightly larger appearance. Not a small bear though.

If you go black market, the gall bladders can bring in alot of money. Get caught and THEY WILL throw the book at you.

Thanks for sharing, D. Very cool! I have not seen that either. Let me get this straight, though: The kid fishes without you now? Ingrate!

Thanks for sharing, D. Very cool! I have not seen that either. Let me get this straight, though: The kid fishes without you now? Ingrate!
We still go out together when we can but aligning our schedules can be a challenge (one of us has to work!). He's headed back to Alaska next week, so hoping I'll have a chance to hit the Lehigh with him before then.

Anyone want to know where it is now? Slatington airport and follow your nose. You can smell it from a half mile

Back