Bead Keel for Monster Streamers

F

Fishidiot

Very large streamers have long been a favorite of mine for both trout and warm water predators. My preferred monster streamer is typically a tandem creature, usually tied with a large plastic worm hook for the front half. I also prefer almost all my streamer patterns to ride hook upward in the water and use dumbell weights to get this affect. However, with very large streamers, sometimes a bit more leverage is required to keep a fly swimming upright. A bead keel can be the answer. On some of my big streamers I'll include these gimmicks. Up until a few years ago - as far as I know - these were virtually unknown in the fly tying world and made their appearance in saltwater patterns. Many fresh water tyers have never seen these. Basically the concept is to tie a loop of mono off the bend and stack steel or brass beads on it to create a weighted "keel." I prefer wire for big streamers. Also, if you want to add weight, I'll just pinch a split shot or two next to the beads. I don't bother with this technique for small flies but on some of my big tandem streamers I find it can help keep a fly right side up in the water.

The pics below illustrate the concept as part of the tying process in a typical muskie fly.

Attachments

• Bead Strmr.jpg
    Bead Strmr.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 11
  • Bead Strmr2.jpg
    Bead Strmr2.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 5
I assume those beads are loose on the mono/steel loop correct? Brass beads banging together are like magnets for bass. That's a nice crawfish imitation.

Yes, they're loose.
You're correct about the sound, some folks feel the clicking noise made by the beads acts as a fish attractor. Can't say from experience that this has been the case for me as I don't use enough flies tied with these keels.

I used brass and glass beads all the time in Texas and Carolina rigged plastic bait presentation to large mouths. I firmly believe that sound triggers a fish's "eat me a crawfish" response.

Can I suggest y'all hit up the Hobby Lobby beading section? Metal beads in big bags, I think I paid $1.47 for 50. THey go on sale every other week.

Thanks gfen!
There's a new Hobby Lobby near Chambersburg - next time I'm heading over to Falling Springs I'll check out their beads.

Supposed to be a new one around here some where as well.

I've never seen metal beads at AC Moore or Michael's, but on the downside these beads won't fit over a standard or sproat bend hook.

They do, however, appear to fit on curved/caddis hooks.

seems like a good way to recycle guitar string clipings,make a keel out of them.

jdaddy wrote:
I used brass and glass beads all the time in Texas and Carolina rigged plastic bait presentation to large mouths. I firmly believe that sound triggers a fish's "eat me a crawfish" response.

My thoughts as well. I wonder how a trout sized version of that fly would work on Penns? Ever notice how many crawfish there are on Penns? I asked at both the feathered Hook and Penns Creek Anglers if anyone ever tried any flies on Penns tied to imitate crawfish. No one had ever heard of that.

fishidiot
i don't know if you stumbled upon this by trial and error or saw it done by someone else, but that is the only way that i have ever been able to make a wormhook swim keel down without spinning.
i learned this trick a few years ago experimenting with placing the weight in different locations on that hook after my leader came back twisted time and time again. a great way to creat and fish a "wormfly" for LMB in lakes and ponds, and as described - a crawdad for SMB in large rivers.
nice job

Back