Bauer M2 Fly Rod

fadeaway263

fadeaway263

Client just gave me one as a gift. Never heard of this reel. Website says the company is 10 years old. Anyone have any knowledge or experience with this reel?

Meant Reel

Attachments

• $_1.JPG
    $_1.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 26
That's a nice gift. Bauer reel are held in high regard by many. I have a CFX 2, and love the drag on it.

Yo fade

I think the company must be more than 10YO. I love mine, which I got 20-25 years ago. Solid, well constructed.

I have the RX2, definitely my favorite reel. Very consistent and steady, great drag, great sound and feel when line is taken out. It's a perfect weight, light but not too light to the point where you need to put lead into the backing. Looks great, too.

Love the Mahogany post.

lestrout wrote:
Yo fade

I think the company must be more than 10YO. I love mine, which I got 20-25 years ago. Solid, well constructed.

Les you are correct 1995:

Bauer Premium Fly Reels was founded in 1995 by Jon Bauer after designing one of the first large arbor fly reels made in the USA. Previously, Jon had driven race cars for Porsche and Ford, winning several major events including the 1980 Trans-Am Championship. Founder and reel designer, Jon Bauer says, “I did a lot of design and development work when I was racing. You develop widgets all the time, because that’s how you win – you look for new ways to make your car better and faster. Starting in 1994, as an avid fly fisherman, I took the same approach in designing innovative fly reels. Since I came from a different sport, (racing not fly fishing), I approached fly reel design differently. By applying principles of basic physics to the design and incorporating precision manufacturing, I was able to produce a totally new concept for fly reel design. The company continues with this precision quality approach in all of its product development and design.”

lestrout wrote:
Yo fade

Les you are correct 1995:

Bauer Premium Fly Reels was founded in 1995 by Jon Bauer after designing one of the first large arbor fly reels made in the USA. Previously, Jon had driven race cars for Porsche and Ford, winning several major events including the 1980 Trans-Am Championship. Founder and reel designer, Jon Bauer says, “I did a lot of design and development work when I was racing. You develop widgets all the time, because that’s how you win – you look for new ways to make your car better and faster. Starting in 1994, as an avid fly fisherman, I took the same approach in designing innovative fly reels. Since I came from a different sport, (racing not fly fishing), I approached fly reel design differently. By applying principles of basic physics to the design and incorporating precision manufacturing, I was able to produce a totally new concept for fly reel design. The company continues with this precision quality approach in all of its product development and design.”

That's a very nice gift. That was a high end reel and it looks like it comes with a spare spool.

Bauer was one of the first to release modern large arbor reels.

Bauer reels are one of the original 'sports cars' of fly reels. you have an enviable item there. They go back to the earlier days of 'modern' fly fishing. They were the 1st large arbor I saw. They always had a great look. When someone would bring one into Jacklyn's to get re-spooled, the shop boys would drool over it.

Bauer vs. Able. This fly fisherman would take the Bauer.
Like my Powell fly rod, I would buy a Bauer just to HAVE it, not even fish it.

Syl

Back