Batson Switch Blank Build

OhioOutdoorsman

OhioOutdoorsman

Here's the 6wt Batson Switch blank build I built in exchange for a donatation to the Western Pennsylvannia Conservency. This is a brand new model released about two weeks ago. It flexes quickly half way down and has a very stiff butt. Briefly test cast it overhead and has a moderate action. I suspect it will cast well with a spey cast, too.

I love that trout logo on it

How long is it?

10' 8". The blanks run a very reasonable $75-85.

OhioOutdoorsman wrote:
10' 8". The blanks run a very reasonable $75-85.

Sounds like a yummy steelhead rod.

pardon my ignorance,but what kind of guides are they?i've never seen them like that before.

They are Batson single foot ceramic guides applied with a forhan locking wrap. A lot of custom builders are very high on using ceramics.....I'm very +/- on them. They add a bit of weight and cost more but MAY reduce friction, last longer, etc, etc, etc. The person I was building it for wanted them.

Do you build all your rods with single foot guides?

No, I don't. For heavier weights and for rods that are built to look tradtional I don't. Most custom builders would reccomend single foot guides for performance because they add less weight in thread and finish and consequently more othe the energy when casting is delivered to the fly line because less is wasted flinging the weight of the guides around. It keeps the action of the rods faster, too. Whether this makes them better practical fishing tools, we could debate that one for a while....

interesting, where are you getting the blanks.
I'd like to find a 10' 5wt blank for pinning for trout.
I haven't put any rods together yet, but i'm thinking of getting what I need for x-mas and start building.

Skiltonian

nevermind, found it

http://www.batsonenterprises.com

and they have a 10' 5wt

what all would you recommend to get started in building rods.
i'm the type to go all out, so don't hold back. Also, any good instruction literature out there.

Thanks

skiltonian

This will get you started. Click on the tab on top for each article segment.

Rod Building Info

Beware, building rods can become addicting. I innocently started building some rods for myself and friends, now I'm into refurbing bamboo rods. Be careful.

Yep, that article is about the best I've seen. I might reccomend hookandhack.com (located in homestead PA) and get one of their kits with everything needed for your first rod. I can also reccomend the books by Art Scheck and Tom Kirkman as well as the flexcoat video.

If you have questions, fire away.

It is addicting, so watch out.

Oops, that should be www.hookhack.com

thanks for those rod building links.they're going to help.

10' 1 wt blank anyone?

http://www.dorber.com/flyrodblanks.html

just ordered the 10' 8" Batson in the 5 wt model.
I decided to go with recoil guides. Anyone have experience with them?

Yes, they are flexible and won't break unless repreatedly deformed many, many times. They are great for icy conditions becaus ethey are so thin and flexible and its easy to break ice off. The guide feet on the SF guides can be rather long, though. And forget prepping the feet any more than they are because the nickel titanium alloy is harder than heck.

Good choice.

hey thats my rod....

this rod is excellent the way its cast is awsome i love the feel of this rod.......

the lenght is perfect...awsome for steelhead used it on erie this saturday awsome feel with steelhead on the line excellent flex...some old timers tohough i was a lil nuts when i was walking up with a two hander thinking its some 14-15 foot spey rod,...only to then see me reeling in steelies left and right and makeing cast effortless lee the whole way across...

then they all came up wonder what it was.....

even got to do some spey cast on upper elk makes awsome D loops and zings the new line to the other side making a perfect lay for the fly...

cant ask for a better rod...

Glad to see you made it over here and that the rod is working well for you. Did you do mostly indy fishing with it? Did it have enough backbone to fight the fish with?

Seriously, you are probably one of the first people in the country to fish with a rod built on that blank. I'm probably going to build an 7wt or 8wt for myself.

People think that 10' 6wt single handed rods for steelhead are the cats meow and you basically have the same thing. But its so much easier casting two handed with a long rod, even with the short indy rig casts. And when you need a long cast or have limited space behind you, that rod will shine, too.

You should head over to the Ohio tribs this spring. Bigger water and less crowded.

Back