Bassin'

Flyfishmedic732

Flyfishmedic732

So I was thinking at work last night.....Since this weather pretty much warmed up the water quite a bit, I was thinking about trying my hand in bass fishing.....but the only problem is, I dont know where to begin...What weight rod to begiging with, where to go ect...any help would be great!!

Im actually looking to be a complete fly fisherman and not even worry about spin/bait casting rods any more. Never fished for bass (or any warm water species) on the fly before.... I do have 2 5wts though, but for some reason something is telling me to go bigger like 7/8/9 wt....

last year i used a stiff 5, this year i intended to use a glass 7 for river smallmouth.

Oh ok, I wasnt sure if a 5 was too light, since I know they can get pretty big especially in the lakes.

I use a 5 and have caught some big ones with it, but a 6 or 7 would probably be better if you're targeting the bigger ones.

depends on the fly you are casting. Casting big clousers on a 5wt would be difficult at best. A 5 wt will do fine for small poppers nd the like.

Start out thrownin' some bugger with your 5 wgt. If you like catching SMB/LM... then after a few outings of rippin' lips - UPGRADE!!!

Medic,
You can start with your 5WT and trout flies. My preferance for river bassin is a 7WT but you can find a lot of great bass fishing on small "trout" streams that have warmed. Fish these creeks with a streamer fly just like you would for trout. You'll catch bass.

I enjoy using a 6wt to fish for bass/panfish in either a creek or lake area. I typically use my 8wt on the river, just much easier to throw larger flies with the larger line sizes. Some of the bigger poppers I throw can be a bit much for the 6wt.

Probably a good fast action 7wt would be ideal, but I have a 6 and 8, so that is what I go with.

Back