Bassin' near Harrisburg

E

eldanimal

I've recently moved from NY to the Hershey/ Harrisburg area, and I would like to wade out into the Susquehanna with the fly rod early tomorrow looking for bass. Does anyone know any good access points within a half hour's drive? Thanks

Eld,
Welcome to PA and welcome to PaFlyFish. There are many access sites around H-burg for the Susky river and right now the river is very low and conditions are good for wading. If however you're not aware of it, the bass population in the Susky around Harrisburg has crashed in recent years for reasons nobody really knows. There are still bass around Harrisburg and some very good sized ones but if you heard of the glory bass fishing in that part of the Susky a decade ago don't be surprised if the fishing doesn't seem up to the what was written about it in the 1990s. It's worth fishing but I prefer to bass fish elsewhere these days. If you drive upriver the consensus is that bass fishing steadily improves. It's still very good in the North and West Branches. Take some time to search through this site, mainly the Warmwater Forum - there is a lot of discussion of the Susky and it's woes. For starts, you might try wading in Wormlysburg. There is a public access site at the mouth of Conodoguinet Creek on the west shore off rt 11/15. The PA fish commission website is also a wealth of info on fishing locations:
www.fish.state.pa.us

Note: Your thread may eventually be moved to Warmwater Forum as this forum is for fishing guides and outfitters to post specific fishin reports. Your question would best be placed in a different section. Again, welcome to PAFF.
Dave W

Back