Bass Rod

S

sprout74

During the week, and sometimes on the weekend, I will skip the trout and throw some bass bugs.

My fly rod can struggle under some of the larger and heavier flies and poppers.

I saw this article:bass fising article

I want to get a better rod for hurling those poppers but don't want to spend a lot.

Can I just use my current fly reel and a heavier rod?

Any recommendations?

I use a 6-wt. for bass. Works fine

Thank you for the response.

Any brand recommendations?

Cabelas? Sage?

Sprout, Love to fish for small mouth when the weather warms up myself.

I have a 8 weight, St. Croix Avid Love it. Probably a little on the heavy side but I bought so I could use it for Steelhead as well.

Not too expensive but not what I would call cheap.

I have a Sage RPL but also a cheap old Orvis for a spare or a loaner. Works fine too, just real stiff.

There is a nice article reviewing back up rods that won't break the bank:

Rod and Reel Back Up Rods

I was thinking about one of those for my back up trout rod and the occasional bass outing.

Anyone have any experience or thoughts on the rods listed in the article?

I use a 6 Wt Sage VT2 for bass. It's plenty fast and has enough muscle to throw bigger bugs. It's also a great streamer/heavy nymph rod for western trout. I use it a lot and it's really versatile. If I had all the money in the world, I would probably get a 6 or 7 WT in 8 Ft or less for bass but this 9 footer serves multiple purposes.

I wouldn't mind one of those "backup" rods. My rod only cost $100. It catches fish and comes in all the usual weights though.

http://www.templeforkflyrods.com/rods/signature.html
This would work if you don't want to spend a lot. I like it.

Remember when you are casting Bass flies you back cast comes back low and and your forward cast goes out high... Kinda like throwing a football :-D

I think the thing to remember about using a 6 wt for bass, is that most of us are talking about smallmouths! At least I am. A largemouth has the reputation of taking larger flies. Size 2/0 and 1/0 poppers are going to need an 8 or 9 wt to pull them through the air.

I've found for smallmouths that sliders, like the Clouser Floating minnow, work better. So a 6wt is OK if you have a good cast. Otherwise you might want to up the ante to a 7 or 8. See if a flyshop will let you try out different rigs before you get too settled on a choice.

My other choices for smallies tend to be oversized trout flies. The stream I used to fish had a huge hex hatch. The bass would take big yellow and red wullffs during this hatch. While waiting for that, I'd throw buggers or crayfish imitations. I used smaller ones and caught the smaller bass with them. Of course the bigger the fly you throw, the bigger the bass you'll catch. (and perversely, you won't miss many small bass either. Smallies must think they can swallow fish equal in size to themselves) Bigger flies mean bigger line weights of course. So you may want a 7 or 8 for smallies too.

The St Croix Pro Graphite series is great for an inexpensive rod. They only come in two piece (last I saw), but if that's not a problem it's a great rod.

I like a rod that is a little less stiff than some. My feeling is that you get leverage when you get a nice bend deep in the rod when casting. That'll help shoot those flies out there.

Using your trout reel might not be a good idea if you go with the 7 or 8wt. The issue is that it wouldn't hold much backing. Not that you'll need it for the fight. Smallies don't take long blistering runs. But without it, your line will be coiled around the arbor too tightly. A typical trout reel is for 5 or 6wt lines though. So if you can use a 6, it'll do well.

Whatever you get, use a good stiff tippet. I usually didn't go below 3x. With the heavier tippet, you can set the hook hard and lean on the fish. Smallies will fight themselves to exhaustion. The last thing you want to do when they are crashing minnies is spend 5 minutes reviving a fish. Get 'em in fast and release 'em in fighting shape! Then you can throw your fly back into the baitball. :-D

I’m a fast rod guy and have been using a Sage 9’ 8wt RPL for bass, but I do agree with Pad about selecting a slower rod for casting large wind resistant bass flies. Lately I’ve been using a Rio Clouser 9wt line on my Sage rod to load it deeper for casting large bass flies. I cast the new Sage bass rod and it’s a fairly slow action (flexes deeply towards the butt). That Sage bass rod can launch a huge bass bug with ease. In addition, a while back, Pad wrote about a St. Croix rod (Ultra Legend model) designed by Bob Clouser. It too is a slower action rod that launches big flies.

So there's no need to break the bank to buy an expensive fast-action rod for bass fishing. The St Croix Pro Graphite series that Pad recommended in a 9’ 8wt would fit the bill as a decent inexpensive bass rod. As well, check out the TFO Signature series in the same length and weight, it sells for just over $100. Good luck.

I'm a big fan of a 7 wt rod for bass fishing though I will also use a 6 at times. I think for most situations a 9 or 10 ft 7 wt will serve you very well and as stated before you don't have to break the bank to get a decent rod. The afore mentioned rods will all work but as suggested definitely invest in a larger reel. You can probably get an Okuma (not sure what models they make anymore) reel for cheap and it will with stand most anything you put it through. I bought an Integrity when I was first getting into steelhead fishing for $50 and it ended up being an awesome reel. I think it has been replaced with the SLV but I'm sure albatross would be able to tell you better. Last I looked Cabelas had 10' 7wt Redington RS3's on sale for $80, though you may want a 9' unless you're fishing lakes or from a float. Something to keep in mind either way.

Ooops, sent that post twice!

The St Croix Legend Ultra 8 wt designed by Bob Clouser is an incredible rod. Probably my favorite for fishing the Susquehanna. However it's fairly pricey, and I got the impression that price was a factor in all this. So I kept it out of my post.

The action of the rod is unique. The tip is quite stiff, while the butt section is less so. The result is a rod that flexes deep in the blank without haveing the tip "deaden". When you "power snap" the rod, the blank will flex, then rebound throwing the loop for you. It's a huge help with the heavier line and bigger flies.

It's designed for fishing big rivers for smallies. You'll be throwing longer casts and using weighted flies with sinking lines. If you are going to fish smaller streams (as I did), than it may be more rod than you need. I found a 6wt was fine for the Connodoguinett, where I used floating lines and more lightly weighted (or unweighted) flies.

I use a TFO Ticr 8wt for large and smallmouth bass nowadays. I use an intermediate sinking line when fishing streamers and SA's Bass taper when fishing big deerhair poppers, divers, etc. The rod and excellent choice for this kind of fishing. It is, however, a bit of a thunderstick, and I'm always concerned that occasional bluegill strikes could result in my yanking the poor little buggers 10 feet out of the water when setting the hook!

The Ticr goes for about $220-240. It is a plug chucker. Don't expect a tremendous amount of finesse. You really don't need it for bucketmouths!

Ginky

Dear sprout,

Cortland makes some pretty decent rods for not a whole lot of money. They have a GRX 9 foot 7/8 weight that will set you back around $ 79.00. I've cast some of the lighter GRX models and they are nice rods.

They also have a CL series that retails in the low $ 100.00 range, I'm thinking it's $ 109.00 or 119.00?

I'd suggest a minimum of a 7 weight, a 6 weight will certainly work but the heavier line casts heavier bulky flies much better and you won't have to work as hard if you want to huck a decent sized fly.

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

I switched up to an 8 weight and it solved all my bass fly problems, couldn't throw them at all with my 6 weight, the heavier line made all the difference.

Hello,

Second post now....

Well over the weekend and I was at YBO and wanted to by an 8wt. for smallies and the occasional steelhead. I always bought rods without trying them and was really surprised to find out that they let you go out on the lake and cast a rod before you buy. WOW, I now some of you are pro fishermen but I was always the outcast fished but didn't own anything that was outfitter grade but still caught fish but this took me by surprise. And as it turns out I like the 7wt better for smallies and was using it in some pretty tough wind today.

Mike

Back