Bass Pro Shops Harrisburg - Fly section

T

tracker12

Parked at the BPS and took the shuttle to the Eastern Outdoor Show today. After I left the show minus lots of dollars (bought benelli 20 gauge) I stopped in the BPS and visited the fly fishing section. Boy I was surprized at how nice it was and the amount of supplies they carried. Lot more than the BPS store here in Maryland. Plus the guy inside was very helpful in sorting thru what in the way of hackles I needed.

Tracker,
Thanks for the heads up. The Harrisburg BPS does indeed have a nice fly shop.

Note: I made a minor edit to your subject line for clarity.
DaveW

Having never been to the BPS, but I'm sure many of you have: Which is nicer, BPS or Cabela's?

That said, from my house, its about equidistant to Cabela's or TCO Reading. TCO's got supplies that blow Cabela's away, but if I were going to contemplate new gear, C would be my first local stop.

Well, second. After Sprawlmart.

I shop for about 85% of my supplies at BPS in Auburn, NY. The selection is good. A lot of the necessities, at a good price, with a good rewards program.

I've never been to Cabela's, so I can not testify to it's betterness over BPS. I can say the BPS in Harrisburg is MUCH bigger than the one in Auburn, NY.

However, when I'm in area, TCO is my shop of choice. I shop at the on in State College and must say the selection is great and the staff is even better. I really love shopping there, when I can.

I like BPS much better for their customer service. Those guys are outright nice. It also never hurts to get tying pointers from a Clouser.

Boyer

I agree about the BPS up here. The guys are very knowledgable and very nice. One of the guys from the department always goes out of his way to make sure I'm taken care of.

Cabelas Hamburg has larger tying section and MUCH better equipment selection compared to BPS Harrisburg. BPS has a few cool things like big ole packs of zonkers for $10. Rods, reels, lines, pretty much everything else is weak.

The main TCO store will be undergoing some major changes. Not sure if they have been made incredibly public so I am not discussing it, however big changes in store. Not sure that it will impact equipment and tying supplies/inventory.

jdaddy wrote:
Cabelas Hamburg has larger tying section and MUCH better equipment selection compared to BPS Harrisburg. BPS has a few cool things like big ole packs of zonkers for $10. Rods, reels, lines, pretty much everything else is weak.

The main TCO store will be undergoing some major changes. Not sure if they have been made incredibly public so I am not discussing it, however big changes in store. Not sure that it will impact equipment and tying supplies/inventory.

Eliminating the fly gear and going over to spin?

IMHO they are both about the same. They carry a general range of common items. Don't expect much in the way of specialty tying equipment or materials. I have both Cabelas and BP loyalty cards and will spend my points there for general materials. I go by those stores on my way to central Pa and usually have to make another stop at FFP, TCO, or Penns Creek Anglers to get the rest of my shopping list.

The Cabelas in Wheeling WV is pretty weak...they have cut back on the tying materials...the guys working are helpful but talk aot about what they can't get...that they have no control over what is sent to them...not very good for business. The FF section is primarily accessories (fly boxes, line, clippers/nippers, floats....but I think they only had 4 packs of different dubbing...that is freakin unforgivable...

I don't care...makes it alot easier to go to International Anger where the guys are awesome...a pretty large selection and they will order anything you are looking for...it is equidistant to go to International Angler or Cabelas...i pick IA 90% of the time and try to spend my money there 95% of the time.

Boss

The fly fishing section in the Hamburg Cabela's gives good customer service, but runs out of popular flies alot. I don't ever buy flies so it doesn't bother me much. As for the rest of the store, I have always gotten better customer service at BassPro. My dad bought a bow this winter at the Harrisburg BassPro and they were phenomenal, and knew what they were talking about for sure. Cabela's employee's never seem to know whats going on, but theyre nice

Just my .02

The guys in the fly shop are always super nice to me, and the only other interaction I've really had is one guy in regular fishing who also fell overhimself to help me out.

Oh, and that really rad chick in checkout with crazy glasses. I choose her line regardless of who's open. Rad.

The guys at BPS are very knowledgeable and nice.

roosters977 wrote:
The guys at BPS are very knowledgeable and nice.

They should be - Bob Clouser, Jr runs the place.

I have shopped both and prefer Cabela's for the general selection storewide but either are very helpful.

I lived about a mile from the TCO in Reading for 3 years. I was only in the place twice! Just not a huge fan of TCO. As far as gear, the brands aren't the ones I like as much, their book collection is poor, their flies are cheap and fall apart and don't appear to be local made. They got some decent tying stuff, and if I need it right now I will stop. But FFP's stuff is usually there next day anyway...

I occasionally get stuff at Cabelas and BPS. Both are nice. For FF purposes, I think the BPS in Harrisburg is better than the Hamburg Cabelas. Either way, I would rarely go to either for the purpose of FF stuff. But if I'm there anyway, I look at it, and sometimes remind myself that I need this or that, and do what needs doing....

But frankly, I don't need much anymore. Usually pick up little things, like tippet, shot, floatant, the occasional fly, etc. while on the road. Stopping at a local shop is a required ritual for information mining, and I do my best to buy something in appreciation. Also end up picking some tying stuff at the fly fishing show. And whatever else I'll need usually comes in a once a year order to FFP in State College, though unfortunately I feel bad that this order is getting so anemic lately.

pcray1231 wrote:
I lived about a mile from the TCO in Reading for 3 years. I was only in the place twice! Just not a huge fan of TCO. As far as gear, the brands aren't the ones I like as much, their book collection is poor, their flies are cheap and fall apart and don't appear to be local made. They got some decent tying stuff, and if I need it right now I will stop. But FFP's stuff is usually there next day anyway...

I occasionally get stuff at Cabelas and BPS. Both are nice. For FF purposes, I think the BPS in Harrisburg is better than the Hamburg Cabelas. Either way, I would rarely go to either for the purpose of FF stuff. But if I'm there anyway, I look at it, and sometimes remind myself that I need this or that, and do what needs doing....

But frankly, I don't need much anymore. Usually pick up little things, like tippet, shot, floatant, the occasional fly, etc. while on the road. Stopping at a local shop is a required ritual for information mining, and I do my best to buy something in appreciation. Also end up picking some tying stuff at the fly fishing show. And whatever else I'll need usually comes in a once a year order to FFP in State College, though unfortunately I feel bad that this order is getting so anemic lately.

Similar situation here. Went to the Somerset show and only bought some books and DVDs. Didn't find any materials that I needed because I now have a good stock.

Back