Bass on a fly this time a year.

S

somersetian

I have been sidelined from fishing for the last 6 weeks due to ankle surgery, but my buddy is taking me out on a kayak this weekend on the quemahoning dam in somerset county. Possibly some other location but that has yet to be determined. I was thinking I really want to cast a fly rod but all my bass fishing has always been done in the hot months of the summer. What flies/techniques will bass go for this time of year? Also Perch and Crappie.

somersetian wrote:
I have been sidelined from fishing for the last 6 weeks due to ankle surgery, but my buddy is taking me out on a kayak this weekend on the quemahoning dam in somerset county. Possibly some other location but that has yet to be determined. I was thinking I really want to cast a fly rod but all my bass fishing has always been done in the hot months of the summer. What flies/techniques will bass go for this time of year? Also Perch and Crappie.

The bass are just starting to spawn so I would avoid targeting them, but is a great time to get after some panfish. Sunnies, perch and crappies are real eager to hit a fly both under and sometimes on top. Have fun.

Alright will do. Didn't know about bass spawning or anything cause I mostly fish for trout, bass fishing has always been something to do when too hot for trout. Glad I asked.

Let your wounds heal first. Play it safe!

crappies are going to bed now too. let them be on the beds also..

It's damn near impossible to catch a bedding bass on a fly, unless you're chucking a lead-headed crawdad or something that you don't strip and that will actually fall and sit on a bed. Bedding bass don't typically chase food. They just fight off creatures they consider a threat to their young. So, if you're going to be tossing deceivers and wooly bombers, you're probably not going to get any bedding fish to move anyway, but you will get those which are either pre or post-spawn.

I'm not concerned with catching a bass. Catching any kind of panfish is fine with me, I just want to fish and be outside. Since I can't hike up my favorite trout streams but can sit in a kayak thought I would give it a try.

The a re on beds for sure at least in smaller ponds. They are a pain to get to bite. Did get one today not fly fishing but god its frustrating regardless to what type of fishing you are doing. Must of saw like five fish pushing 5 pounds easy. Its a good way to see the size of the fish in the ponds you are fishing though.

SurfCowboyXX wrote:
It's damn near impossible to catch a bedding bass on a fly, unless you're chucking a lead-headed crawdad or something that you don't strip and that will actually fall and sit on a bed. Bedding bass don't typically chase food. They just fight off creatures they consider a threat to their young. So, if you're going to be tossing deceivers and wooly bombers, you're probably not going to get any bedding fish to move anyway, but you will get those which are either pre or post-spawn.

Yeah Surf....as long as you don't use that spin rod you carry, rigged with a wacky worm and your daughters Dora the Explorer bobber..... :-?

Attachments

• Dora Bobber.jpg
    Dora Bobber.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 3
Afish, since your showing us a picture of your Dora bobber I'm taking that you don't want the competition.

That is a strike indicator, not a bobber.

The Dora Strike indicator has 2 legs - that one there is a bobber.

Back