Bass fly hooks

B

burghwolfe

When you spin/stack deer hair for bass flies like a Dahlberg Diver, what kind of hooks do you use? I was practicing on size 2 streamer hooks but that doesn't leave much room for hooking the fish. Is there any reason to not use a regular wide gap hook that you would use when using a spinning or bait casting setup?

One reasonably priced hook of decent quality that is often used for topwater bass bugs, etc. is the Mustad "Stinger" (37187, I think is the number). These look a lot like the Orvis hook Jay linked to, but are a lot less expensive.

The sizing on them is a little wacky (they run big for their size designation) and you might be best served by picking them out at a shop (if you can find them) as opposed to buying them online/via mail. For example, the 1/0 would seem like about the right size for largemouth flies, but it is a very large hook. I use mostly #2's and #6's for largemouth bugs and 6's and 10's for smallmouth.

Get the mustad's

I really like the Mustad Stingers too.

The 3 issues I've run into using the bass bug hooks for poppers...
1) They are a lighter wire, so in the case of taking a surprise pike, musky, or other...the hook easily bends straight.
2) The gap can be too big for smallmouth mouths. I've had numerous fair size (12" +/-) smallies not be able to inhale poppers with those hooks.
3) Can't use em in salt. I love taking stripers on poppers, but these will rust out very quickly if exposed to salt. I keep all my big flies together, these hooks I have to take out just to keep from being exposed to the salt air or I'll start seeing oxidation.

I have switched to Mustad 34011 stainless streamer hooks. They have enough length, plenty of strength, sufficiently wide gap, and can take the salt.
They have a little more heft to them, but I like that the popper sits a little lower in the water...creates more commotion.

I'm very happy with the Mustad Signature C51 (or 57, can't remember) BLN. THey are 2XL and called "stinger" hooks. Daiichi made some great but very light wire, similar stinger hooks. Tiemco makes some that are in 2 sizes that are really way more huge than what they are listed as; like #2 and #6. but they're great hooks. I use these 'stinger' or popper style hooks for streamers and popper/divers. you really do need that big gap to get poke out beyond your fly materials on the hood and get ahold of the bass's mouth either when it explodes up on the bug or when it just sips it in. Either way, lacking a big hook gap will cost you fish. So, yes, your instincts are in the right direction.

Syl

Back