Basic Tying Supply Advice

jifigz

jifigz

Can someone please look the specs of these two kits and recommend what additional hooks or other supplies I may need to supplement these? I know that these cheap kits are definitely not the best but I've been very pleased with BassPro house brand FF stuff before and I think this would be a decent place to start learning about fly tying. I appreciate all input and suggestions.

http://www.basspro.com/White-River-Fly-Shop-Fly-Tying-Kit-Bass-Tying/product/27766/

http://www.basspro.com/White-River-Fly-Shop-Fly-Tying-Kit-Trout-Tying/product/27765/

I am not really sure if I should go with the bass or trout kit. I'll have to think about that one.

For the trout kit, it looks like a good start for the basic patterns. The suggestive patterns.
If you want to match hatches you're going to need a lot more colors of thread, dubbing, hackle and hook sizes. Welcome to fly tying. The same if you want to tie different buggers. Plus I didn't see it coming with partridge for soft hackles (I fish them a lot) or beads or lead.
But if you want to get the basics down I think it'll work. "One #censor# at a time". Though personally I'd buy the tools as a kit and materials separate as I needed them.

For the bass kit, I'd say it's a good start as bass are not real hatch specific and streamers are the go-to.

Those kits look ok. I bought a kit when I started tying, and I kind of wish I hadn't - the tools were all crappy, and so we're the materials. Plus it looks like those two are both missing a whip finisher. It's not completely necessary I guess - you could just whip finish by hand or use a half hitch, but I feel like a matarelli style whip finisher is something that most tyers have and use.

If it were me I'd pick a few starter patterns, look them up online, and go to j Stockard's website for the materials. The have a jstockard line of hooks and tools that are very reasonable and of decent quality - I use a j Stockard whip finisher (matarelli style, not spring style) and j Stockard ceramic bobbins all the time. Plus they have pretty much any material you could want at a reasonable price. Plus that way you aren't stuck with the stuff to tie a dozen chartreuse wooly buggers that you'll never fish!

Never tried their jstockard brand of vises, but they can't be any worse than any other cheap vise that would come in a kit. You could actually have my old kit vise if you want it - it kind of sucks, but it holds a hook well enough to get started.

I am not really sure if I should go with the bass or trout kit. I'll have to think about that one.

well do you want to tie bass flies or trout flies

looks like the kits are quite different

here is my recommendation/opinion

fly tying lessons

This list of beginner tying materials is simply a list based on my 30+ years experience in fly tying. The list provided below is for a new tyer who wants to tie trout flies but can spill over to different genres of fly tying. It is a BASIC list. Could other items have appeared on the list? Of course they could but that's somebody elses list. Other tyers will add or subtract materials to their liking. So be it. Remember its a BASIC list of materials. It contains materials the can tie hundreds or even thousands of fly patterns.

This list is in no order of preference. This list is provided for your convenience and in no way requires you to buy all tying materials all at once or any materials for that matter. It is also a generic list of materials as I really don't have any preferences as to what brand of materials you buy.

Eventually you will need materials if you want to continue tying flies. The list may give you a head start as to what you might want to buy

Again, you do not have to buy the entire list all at once!

Buy what you want when you need it!

1. Hooks (in different styles and sizes)
2. Thread (6/0 to start in black & white)
3. Pheasant Tail (center feathers when possible for the longest fibers)
4. Peacock Herl (eye feathers and strung herl)
5. Marabou (blood quills are better)
6. Deer hair
7. Elk hair
8. Buck tail (in different colors like red, yellow, or white)
9. Lead or non-lead wire (in different sizes)
10. Ribbing wire (silver, copper & gold)
11. Rooster Hackle (grizzly, brown, white & dun) A good option is an introduction pack
12. Hen neck or saddle (grizzly, brown, dun etc) (great for soft hackle & wings)
13. Hungarian Partridge Skin (great for soft hackles)
14. Dubbing dispenser of hares ear (various colors) & superfine dubbing for dry flies
15. Gray duck or goose wing feathers (used for wing cases)
16. Head cement
17. Tinsel and other flash materials (in assorted colors)
18. Calf tail (start with white, add colors when necessary)
19. Yarns & chenille (used for making bodies, both in assorted colors)
20. Floss (1 strand or 4 strand in assorted colors)
21. Strung hackle (practice wrapping hackle with this. cheap alternative to the pricey hackles)

Poor quality materials are destined to discourage beginner tiers and cause greater expense when the time comes to replace them. Buy the best you can.

Another recommendation seen on most forums is to pick out 5-10 that you want to learn how to tie. buy the materials provided in the recipes of those flies. these materials are now the building blocks for tying different fly patterns in the future.

The vice, bobbin, scissors and materials are fundamental.

For an absolute beginner, what more is really needed? those 4 items will tie hundreds of flies if not more.

nfrechet wrote:

well do you want to tie bass flies or trout flies

Lol...not sure. some flies in each kit can go either way and I would end up using the flies that both kits can produce about equally. That is my point.

Anyways...I guess I was looking for like hook suggestions. Like what is a good all purpose streamer hook that will cover most of my bases? I need advice on stuff like that. And I'll probably supplement a kit with a whip finisher and just deal with the crappy tools for a while.

jeremymcon wrote:
Plus that way you aren't stuck with the stuff to tie a dozen chartreuse wooly buggers that you'll never fish!

Jeremy you do know I'm not a huge fan of chartreuse...but maybe I'd learn to be if I had a dozen buggers sitting around that I would just HAVE to fish.

Ha ha ha maybe you'd suck it up use them. The kits *are* a nice way to start and have a basic supply of materials that you don't have to think about too much. Then you can just get other things as you find you need them. Basic streamer hooks are usually 3x long with standard or 1x heavy wire. You can use that style of hook for gurglers and possibly poppers too. I like J Stockard or Allen Fly fishing because they're decent and cheap.

Let me know if you ever want to come try your hand at tying a couple flies. I've got lots of materials and hooks, and an extra vise.

I suggest you try and link up with a club. If you live in the SE part of the state White Clay Fly Fishers meets to tie flies weekly. TU chapters do the same. That will give you good insight.

Another idea I have seen on this forum is tyers, especially new ones, getting together to buy material. Otherwise, unless your a commercial or prolific tyer you will have packs of dubbing that will last a couple of life times. Getting together with others allows you to get all the dubbing you need for awhile in various colors and styles.

I will be out of pocket for a few weeks. But I would be willing to send you an assortment of some of the more basic dubbing. No Charge. You can send me a PM.

Good on you Gene, that's a stand-up offer.

I'd recommend getting a kit from FFP rather than one constructed by a company from who knows where.

http://www.flyfishersparadiseonline.com/category_s/2215.htm

They have 6 different kits, each with a different level of tool quality. How many on-line places gives you 6 choices?

If you make the trip up to SC, they could recommend a few additions that will round you out for the local streams. There is a chance you could get them to substitute a few items (assuming equal value)

They have held free tying clinics during the late winter months (Feb, Mar) each saturday too.

I followed the advice of someone on this board that I thought was genius. First pick a pattern or two that you want to tie and buy the material for just those patterns. Then pick another pattern to tie.

Sound advice and you will soon find that your supplies will dwarf your desk, you will have plenty left over to tie previously tied patterns, and you will have little of the things that you don't really need.

Kits are great but sometimes the materials are not the best which sometimes can frustrate you. Either way you go will be fine though. Good luck

Back