Basic dry flies - should I have parachutes and Catskill styles in my box?

PaScoGi

I am getting more into dry fly tying.

Just basic patterns like Adams, Cahill, BWO, etc. Really just going to have a generic type box (for now) with bodies that are grey, light yellow, olive, brown, black, etc.

I was reading Pocket Guide to Pennsylvania Hatches. The book mentioned that parachute style dries are good for calm, clear, glassy water and hackled styled dries are good for riffles.

Would the board agree with this statement?

In other words, if I am tying an Adams fly should I tie a few parachute style and a few catskill style? Or is is just personal preference?

I really try to keep my fly boxes small (even if it means less fish caught).

What is everyone's experience (or maybe preference) as to the "style" you prefer? Not really asking about favorite colors or names of patterns. Just what is your recommended style of generic dry fly? Parachute, Catskill, Comparadun, etc.

Thanks for any suggestions.

i tie Catskill style because i like they're look and that was how i started tying. i tie parachutes as well
and lots of other styles too. if you're tying flies i have a feeling you'll be tying a lot of styles in short time.

I lean more toward parachute or comparadun style flies because I feel they ride with a better profile in the film. However, have fun at the vise and give yourself lots of options on the stream. You may have that day that the Catskill pattern is the only one they want.

The more I got into dry fly fishing the more I learned how much of a wormhole it is. Whatever box you dedicate to dry flies, I hope it's large because you will accumulate more dry flies than nymphs.

I enjoy fishing both catskill style and parachute style dries. Like you mentioned, parachutes can be good in slower, flatter water while catskill style dries fish better in broken water - in my experience. Typically, I won't tie a pattern in a parachute if it is a #18 or smaller. For those I will tie in a catskill style and a comparadun/sparkle dun. You didn't ask or mention this, but if you are trying to get into dry fly fishing be sure to tie some emergers as well. Klinkhammer style parachutes and smokejumper style flies are a couple that I would recommend to you as they're my favorite emergers. Best of luck!

I consider myself somewhat specialized. By that Iean I tend to lean toward small mountain Brook streams.

With that on mind I'll always have Paras, Catskills, and Links with me at all times. Certainly other ties depending on the weather and the stream but those three make up my baseline dry box. Paras are Paras. Klinks are Klinks. Catskills are usually Humpys with a couple of Adams sprinkled in.

I only tie an Adams pattern with hen hackle wings. The rest I tie with synthetic material. Is that still considered a Catskill pattern?
IMG_8826.jpeg
IMG_9420.jpeg

My box is mostly Catskill style dries and a few comparaduns especially for isonychia and sulfurs. Never found parachutes to outfish Catskill or comparadun, at least on the waters I primarily fish. Ie broken riffly water.

Another book you may want to read is Art Flick's Streamside guide. Though not specific to PA (he concentrates on NYs Shoharie) I find his book remarkably accurate for NEPA hatches.

I don't tie any Catskill patterns although I'll never argue on their effectiveness or coolness...

For mayflies duns it's nothing but thorax patterns or parachutes. I like the hackle on my parachutes longer which makes them float better for me, even in broken water and I'll tie a palmer hackled thorax for similar conditions.

Good question and had to think about this. I prefer a basic Catskill pattern usually with flies #16 and larger. When I need to start using #18 and smaller flies, I enjoy the parachute flies in general. Mostly do to my eyesight. I'm mildly near sighted and wear corrective lens with polarizing lens, but still find it easier to have the parachute when seeing the smaller flies. Parachutes also help in lower light situations for all sizes.

I will also use a parachute or comparadun fly pattern during a hatch to differentiate my fly on the water. I see those kind of flies as more of a distress fly. I seem to have good luck for example using a comparadun March Brown pattern with that hatch. It is a bigger fly and helps to keep it a little more into the water.

These are just guidelines for me and always modifying my time on the water switching flies and patterns as the conditions warrant.

I tie 98% of my mayfly dries in parachute style. I tie them down to size 20. The rest are comparaduns. I also tie Klinkhammers as an alternative caddis pattern. I use parachutes on all types of water. I use a Royal Wulff and Humpies for attractor patterns. It’s nice to have a few alternative patterns sometimes. Fished First Fork of the Sinnemahoning once and the fish were very selective in the early evening. Turns out they were taking a small dark brown caddis. I had some size 18s tied down wing style in brown. I was the only one catching fish and other guys were asking what I was using.

I use both Catskills style and parachute style dries. I don’t associate them with different water types. I typically use Catskill style dries, but choose parachute style when I want more visibility (for me). In the past, I have used thorax-style dries as well. I’ve never bothered with comparaduns.

Back