Base Layer Bargain?

troutbert wrote:
What are the actual materials these expensive base layers are made of?

You can get sweatpants at Ross or TJ Maxx made out of polyester for about $10.

If you get the thinner type sweatpants, you can wear them under the typical quick dry fishing pants, without too much bulk.

The fabrics are generally polyester, but that just means they are fabrics made of polymers. And not all polymers are created equal. Some manufacturers throw in some spandex or other fabrics into the blend. But we're basically talking about plastic shirts and pants :)

I have a few of the Cool Keep brand shirts from Kohl's. They work really well and I'm ALWAYS cold.

I'm an under armour guy, I am lucky that I get alot of it free so maybe I'm biased but here goes. I assume we are talking about base layers when its really cold because I wear layers in the summertime that keep me cooler. Anyway my base layer is the UA long underwear level 4.0 and same thing with my long sleeve shirt. Compared to the stuff I used to wear I see a big difference in temperature control. Even when I'm just inside my UA is warmer than my old long johns but not by a lot. Cotton loses its heating value when wet,this stuff does not. I love winter fishing and will often fish in western md when temps are way below freezing. Sweating while hiking through snow then getting in the water made things pretty tough before I got my equipment down to a science. I can't speak to other brands but recommend the UA, wheather its worth the price difference I don't know. I can say for sure that it is definitely worth it compared to the old long johns or anything cotton.

Man, I really need to rethink my approach.

I typically wear a Tshirt and a light (cotton) flannel when I fish in the summer. Seems Ive been doing it wrong. Same goes for winter. Plain ol long johns and a long sleeve polyester shirt.

What type of material do you suggest? Is one material better than other?

I've posted this before, hope it helps.
https://www.yellowstoneangler.com/gear-review/2013-wader-shootout-best-waders-simms-g4-simms-g3-patagonia-rio-gallegos-orvis-silver-sonic-dan-bailey-guide-ultra-redington-aquaz-cabelas-bootfoots

My base layer is The Fly Shop base layer set that I posted earlier.
I have Simms Mid-Weight tops & bottoms when its colder and Simms Guide Fleece Bib when its really cold. Yeah Simms may seem pricey but it will only last me my lifetime. There are many more alternatives I'm sure are out there. You'll be amazed how comfortable you'll be in both warm and cold weather when you learn to dress properly. Layering doesn't mean bulk. The nicest socks I've found (for me anyway) both warm and cold weather are Alpaca socks. Never a sweaty foot at the end of the day.

I can't enjoy myself in the cold. Thus it's Patagonia Capiline or nothing. Guess that makes me an old rich guy.

Dryness is the difference. Yes, synthetics will get damp. But they still warm when damp, and they don't hold water. Instead they move it towards the outside. Provided all layers do that and the outside membrane is breathable it will dry quickly. I've dunked my whole arm and had it bone dry within a half hour.

Cotton soaks up a lot of water, holds it, and has no insulation when it does.

As a little experiment, wash a similar weight poly base layer with a cotton long John. Notice weight difference coming out of machine. The cotton is holding many times as much water. Now hang and air dry. The poly will be dry in an hour or two if the humidity is low. The cotton may take a day or more in the same conditions.

Anyway, the synthetic system only works if every layer is synthetic, and the outer layer is breathable. Otherwise the whole shebang just doesn't work. A cotton layer over a synthetic layer just absolutely soaks the cotton in short order.

And it's all expensive. So if you don't want to do the whole system, go with wool. Insulates even when wet. Plays nicer in conjunction with non technical fabrics.

+1 for Patagucci. I have quite a collection of their Capilene baselayer shirts and pants. I like the silkweight pants under my waders in hot weather, and heavier ones in the cold. I tried quite a few other brands, like Terramar, and didn't like them as much. They are on the pricier side, but I just wait until they go on sale.

I have some gander mountain branded under armour type of shirts, some Merino wool stuff and gore-tex. Rarely get cold by properly layering. Base layer of under armour, fleece over top and light comforter. Sit on sofa and wait for April to get here.

On Pcray's tail, wool. Nothing is better, but it's not cheap. However, it will last a long time if you take care of it.

I'm personally not a fan of wool. I picked the synthetic system and anything that holds water renders everything else I'm wearing useless. Like wool under Gore tex. Just makes no sense. Your expensive Gore tex is doing nothing then. It's purpose is to allow water vapor through yet you have a layer just under it that soaks and holds water!

But I do understand wool's advantages. It's a viable cold weather system too. You just gotta pick a system and be consistent with it. No mixing and matching.

I'm with Kray. Poly base layer, then poly fleece, then Gore tex or other breathable of choice. Adjust base layer and fleece thickness to suit conditions. In summer ditch the fleece and she'll and go with a single thin poly layer. The fishing shirts fit the bill.

In all systems, summer or winter, cotton doesn't belong outdoors. Cotton doesn't insulate when wet nor does it allow evaporative cooling in summer.

MRFC has the Simms Guide Fleece Bib on sale for $77.97 if anyone's interested.

Back