Base Layer Bargain?

JackM

JackM

Staff member
The Ollie's [Discount Outlet] near me is starting a sale on Dec. 1 that includes a RealTree base layer combination of shirts and pants. $7.99 a piece. Cannot tell whether it is polypro or just [an]other synthetic[/s]. Sounds like a good substitute bargain for expensive base layers.

For that price it would definitely be worth a try. Ive been wearing the same Duofold longjohns for the past the past 15 years. They are about 2 years beyond their retirement point.

Can't beat that price. Even if they don't hold up for outdoor activities and end up being nothing but around the house wear in the winter time.

I've had good luck finding Terramar brand base layer stuff on Sierra Trading Post...usually under $20/piece with their additional email discount coupons. I think I've gotten a couple of tops at about $12 before. Have 2 bottoms and 4 tops of varying weights. Can usually find a combo that's comfy for the day.

That sounds like a good deal. If they don't provide enough warmth for outdoors you could always use them under your regular clothes on those single digit days.

I bought a bunch of Rocky brand base layers on clearance at Walmart a few years ago. They're like that imitation under armor material, I guess you could call it. I'm guessing they would be similar to what you're describing. They're sufficient for outdoors use when it's 30 or above. If it's colder than that, I still prefer the old tried and true white long johns and a heavy pair of fleece sweat pants for my base layer. I'm sure Sitka and all these companies make really nice base layers for a pile of money, but those old white long johns and heavy sweat pants have been getting the job done for a LONG time lol.

724flyfishing wrote:
That sounds like a good deal. If they don't provide enough warmth for outdoors you could always use them under your regular clothes on those single digit days.

I bought a bunch of Rocky brand base layers on clearance at Walmart a few years ago. They're like that imitation under armor material, I guess you could call it. I'm guessing they would be similar to what you're describing. They're sufficient for outdoors use when it's 30 or above. If it's colder than that, I still prefer the old tried and true white long johns and a heavy pair of fleece sweat pants for my base layer. I'm sure Sitka and all these companies make really nice base layers for a pile of money, but those old white long johns and heavy sweat pants have been getting the job done for a LONG time lol.

I'm the same way, I don't really understand the hype with expensive base layers. What makes them so much better than good old long johns? I've only worn long johns when hunting/fishing, and honestly I can't say that with those and a fleece midlayer / wool socks-hat-gloves. I've never found myself being cold? So what makes that stuff so much better?
This is an honest question and not a bash on that stuff.
Say for instance the under armour stretchy type baselayer, would you guys say those provide the same warmth as long johns? They just don't feel as though they would be as warm?

The benefit is wicking moisture away to the second layer.

regular old long johns are cotton, which when wet, is worthless, and in the wrong conditions, could actually kill you through hypothermia.
I've used synthetics for decades, and now use merino wool for seriously long stints where I won't be changing for a couple days. the wool breathes extremely well, and doesn't stink like the synthetics can. it's also very soft and comfy. it's also expensive, but I find they are worth it.

http://catalog.theflyshop.com/the-fly-shops-base-layer-underwear-set/

In terms of dry warmth...yeah, I'd say it's pretty much a push between cotton and synthetics, of relatively equal weight anyway. They both keep you warmer than without them. You can get a greater variety of weights in synthetics though, and some of them have additional heat retaining or generating properties...Columbia's Omniheat foil lined stuff for instance...which IMO is great if you're standing/sitting still (say in a tree stand all day), but generates wayyyy too much heat for active stuff.

The main advantages of synthetics are its wicking properties...getting moisture away from your skin, and its ability to still keep you warm (or relatively less cold anyway) when wet. I have no cotton left in my outdoor gear, except perhaps a couple of old flannels for just sitting around the fire in.

I'm all about synthetics but don't expect any material to remain bone dry if you are moving a decent amount. Put all your synthetic base layers on, polar fleece outer garment, breathable shell and breathable waders then walk a mile or so to your favorite spot and you will be damp by the time you arrive.

McSneek wrote:
I'm all about synthetics but don't expect any material to remain bone dry if you are moving a decent amount. Put all your synthetic base layers on, polar fleece outer garment, breathable shell and breathable waders then walk a mile or so to your favorite spot and you will be damp by the time you arrive.

Yep, agree 100%. In the last year I’ve gone back to a full backpack (with pockets on the front straps for easy access to things I need often) to help accommodate layering. If I’m on a small stream, hiking and fishing, even down to about 40 deg or so I’m fine with just a couple synthetic layers and no jacket…as long as I’m moving along and generating heat. I’ll throw the shell jacket in, in case I stop for lunch or something.

If you don't have Ollie's near you, I've been getting base layer stuff the past few years from Gabriel Brothers/Gabe's. They are anywhere from $1.99 up to $10.00 for the pre-packaged, better stuff.

So besides the moisture aspect, how do the under armour type base layers compare to long johns warmth wise? Assuming your not sweating like a pig / getting wet?

Salvelinusfontinali wrote:
So besides the moisture aspect, how do the under armour type base layers compare to long johns warmth wise? Assuming your not sweating like a pig / getting wet?

Swattie87 wrote:
In terms of dry warmth...yeah, I'd say it's pretty much a push between cotton and synthetics, of relatively equal weight anyway.

^With the dry warmth being more or less the same IMO, I'll take all of the other advantages synthetics offer over cotton discussed above.

Swattie87 wrote:

Swattie87 wrote:
In terms of dry warmth...yeah, I'd say it's pretty much a push between cotton and synthetics, of relatively equal weight anyway.

^With the dry warmth being more or less the same IMO, I'll take all of the other advantages synthetics offer over cotton discussed above.

I may have to give them a try then, I always thought they weren't as warm. Thanks.

I wouldn't assume not getting wet... wearing cotton during the summer leads to getting wet and staying wet with sweat - which is just uncomfortable. Wearing cotton during the winter will lead to getting wet - from sweat or water - staying wet and then having to pack it in early.

I fell in on Fishing Creek, Clinton County, in February a few ago. I had driven 2 hours to get there and just got on the stream and fell in immediately. The sun was out but it was a very cold day, just the sun itself dried me out and I was able to fish the entire day no problem thanks to being properly clothed.

If you spend a lot of time on the water the small investment into decent synthetics is worth it. Just like anything else, you do get what you pay for though. I wear the same base layers fishing, hunting and hiking and rarely wear anything out. My cheaper gear wears out in a year or two though so I just spent the money on more quality stuff. I have had the same underarmour base layers since 2008 or 2009 and while well worn they are still kicking after 100s of wears.

allan_s wrote:

I wouldn't assume not getting wet... wearing cotton during the summer leads to getting wet and staying wet with sweat - which is just uncomfortable. Wearing cotton during the winter will lead to getting wet - from sweat or water - staying wet and then having to pack it in early.

I fell in on Fishing Creek, Clinton County, in February a few ago. I had driven 2 hours to get there and just got on the stream and fell in immediately. The sun was out but it was a very cold day, just the sun itself dried me out and I was able to fish the entire day no problem thanks to being properly clothed.

If you spend a lot of time on the water the small investment into decent synthetics is worth it. Just like anything else, you do get what you pay for though. I wear the same base layers fishing, hunting and hiking and rarely wear anything out. My cheaper gear wears out in a year or two though so I just spent the money on more quality stuff. I have had the same underarmour base layers since 2008 or 2009 and while well worn they are still kicking after 100s of wears.

I get what your saying , I really do. But I've just personally not have had much problem with wearing regular old long johns. And I spend a ton of time outdoors...Like I said, I'm going to give em a try anyways. The question was if under armour keeps you as warm as long johns when dry, not if you fall in the river which one is better.

allan_s wrote:

I get what your saying , I really do. But I've just personally not have had much problem with wearing regular old long johns. And I spend a ton of time outdoors...Like I said, I'm going to give em a try anyways. The question was if under armour keeps you as warm as long johns when dry, not if you fall in the river which one is better.

If you do happen to fall in the river, you will be cold with long johns after you climb out. Best to plan for the worst and not flirt with hypothermia.

My take on the cheap synthetics vs. the name brand stuff - name brand does make a difference. But it's a negligible difference if you factor in cost. The fabric quality on Patagonia's Capilene is definitely higher than my TerraMar or Polarskins tops I picked up from STP. But I can buy four of the TerraMar tops for the price of a Capilene top. Capilene 3 and 4 tops are much nicer and warmer than anything else I have found. I only buy the Patagonia stuff when they run their end of season 50% off sale, so $25 or a bit more for a top isn't too bad of a price to pay.

What are the actual materials these expensive base layers are made of?

You can get sweatpants at Ross or TJ Maxx made out of polyester for about $10.

If you get the thinner type sweatpants, you can wear them under the typical quick dry fishing pants, without too much bulk.

When using synthetics it's about layering. You really only need a base layer i.e. Underarmour, warmth layer i.e. Fleece or some sort of heavier garment and then a breathable shell.

Too many layers equals not enough room for garments to breathe. If you are hiking in later light then put layers in pack to put in once you arrive at destination. Base layer will dry quick which in turn will keep you warm.

Long johns may feel warmer vs synthetics when worn on their own but as soon as you move/sweat the cotton is no longer useful.

Back