Barry & Cathy Beck Interview - PaFlyFish.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Barry and Cathy Beck live in the mountains of northeastern Pennsylvania. They are best known for their fishing photography in magazines, books, web sites, and other venues. They host trips to exciting fishing destinations around the world through Frontiers International. They are on Team Sage and teach fly fishing schools on their home stream, Fishing Creek.

1 - Dave: Please tell me how and when you got started into fly fishing.

Barry's parents had a shop in Berwick, Pennsylvania, so he grew up in the business, eventually tying flies for the shop. Later he tyed flies for Orvis and managed the Leonard Rod Company's mail order fly business. I grew up in a fishing family but not fly fishing. I started fly fishing when I met Barry, now almost 30 years ago.

2 - Dave: Tell me what inspired you to write Pennsylvania Blue-Ribbon Fly Fishing Guide?

Pennsylvania will always be very special to us. We've got lots of favorite places to fish and wanted to let people know just how much fishing we have right here in our home state. Not only does Pennsylvania offer lots of different kinds of fishing, it's beautiful too.

BelAirSteve
I had a chance to meet Lefty at Bass Pro in Maryland a couple of years ago- he was doing a book signing and my buddy and I got there early by chance - we didn't know he was going to be there. Nobody else in the fly shop, and we had one on one time with him for about 20 minutes. He showed us how to tie knots, told fishing stories, and just bs'd with us until it got a little busier. Just a down to earth, approachable guy.

Last edited:
C
[color=FF3333]Unfortunately he is a sell out to Donny Beaver. A real legacy would have turned him down and shut down the club as un American.
Till then he is in the free lunch club of the homewater club.
To me he is a sell out.
[/color]

Last edited:
salmo
I know Lefty is a legend and I could only hope to cast half as well as he does, but I did not enjoy his book which I read several years ago.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back