barbless hooks

wetnet

wetnet

Anyone fish barbless and where do you get them? We mainly use Gamakatsu, Knapek and a few of Tiemco's.

I always just pinch the barb down on mine.

I pinch mine down too.
Barbless always seem to be more expensive.

I fish barbless probably 99% of the time for trout, but not often with Steelies. I've bought them only a few times and they were Tiemco. Like everyone else, I pinch the barb.

I do too, but my son needs barbless. We got he last bunch from Fly Tying Specialities. I definitely like the barbless, unless I lose them. Darn things are expensive.

A Dremel tool should work with a little grinding bit , if this is to make them tournament legal , you might have to buy them already barbless , if you do decide to use the Dremel go easy cause if you heat above a certain temp. from grinding you could mess up the temper of the hook (make it brittle) tell him i said GOOD FISHIN

Didn't know Cabelas carries them. Never saw them or didn't even think to look. Thanks might work for some we need. Yes these are comp hooks don't know about grinding barbs but usually barbless are made to compensate for no barb. Doesn't mean they are easier to fishm but if you set right they are meant to hold them unless your me. Getting much better though, Thanks!

Wetnet, JStockard has them too and Tiemco hooks are 20% off right now. I have used this site before and they ship fast and have super customer service. You also get "points" that can add up to $ off of future orders. $5 off on your first order if you register for the "frequent flyer" point program too. They're out of CT or somewhere in New England I believe.

http://www.jsflyfishing.com

Hi wetnet - Have you seen this article by Loren Williams?

http://www.flyguysoutfitting.com/barbless.html

I really like the Knapek hooks, but they're awfully pricey. I'm working on getting a local supplier (Charlie Martini) to buy them direct from Jan Siman, but it hasn't happened yet.

The Partridge Flashpoints are nice, but tough to find. The competition guys gobble up the supply pretty quick. Every year, I whine to Jeff Pierce of Mustad, and he says that if there was more demand for them, there would be more around. Go figure... :-(

I talked to Loren, he gets them where I do. Sales are always good though. Darn expensive things. I have to say I don't cry anymore trying to unhook my fish, or my finger! LOL!!

wetnet - Here's a couple more sources:

Blue Quill Angler

Jan Siman

Maybe you could get a couple of guys together to make a bulk order from the Czech Republic - that'd help with the steep shipping charges.....

The Cabela's branded hooks appear, to me, to be Tiemco-made. They're cheaper than the name brand Tiemcos, but not as cheap as the Mustads (or, at least, the Mustads were).

This guy also sells his not-branded-as-Tiemco hooks for cheap:
http://www.thefishguy.net/hooks.htm - $9.95 per 100.

I have used the Cabela's barbless for a couple of years now with no problems. Other hooks that I have with barbs get pinched.

As far as the extra cost of barbless, knowing the hook will easily pass any inspection by a conservation officer/warden makes it worth it.

Regards

I think I read once that the reason barbed are cheaper is becuase they are easier to extract from the mold. The barb gets caught on a "lifter" and placed into packaging.

>>I think I read once that the reason barbed are cheaper is becuase they are easier to extract from the mold. The barb gets caught on a "lifter" and placed into packaging.>>

That would make sense.. It's also a fundamental rule of small piece/high volume manufacturing that changes in routing/set up costs for "other than usual" runs get amortized across the price of the lower volume item, in this case the barbless hook.

Thanks I'll check out Stockard and Cabelas. Don't doubt both will work for some of what he needs. I'll grab some too just for me. I'm not as picky and I'm liking fishing barbless.

Back