bamboo

David

David

Got the urge to get into bamboo.

Been watching ebay. Wanted to start cheap (under $100) until I get the feel of it. It seems from doing some research that shorter rods are more sought after and have a higher value...any reason for this?

Any tips on what to look for or what I should avoid?
I've never worked on rods...is it difficult to replace eyes / ferrules?

I'm obviously looking at production rods...Anyone favor particular brand? Montague, South Bend, etc?

Thanks,
David

Bamboo is heavy, and a 9 footer is perhaps too heavy. I have an 8 footer, I love it, but it is a handful at times. The weight is why they average shorter.

For rods meant to fish, thats why the short ones are more money. If you need a longer rod, you're probably gonna go graphite, so bamboo's corner of the market became the shorter rods. For collector rods, you're guess is as good as mine.

Way out of your price range and you said you were lookin for production rods, but if you get interested in a custom, I got mine from Dream Catcher Rods in Chambersburg, and have been really happy with the rod and with Wyatt.

I'd look for an old Southbend on ebay...Fish feel so much better on boo, IMO..If you want the feel of boo with out the expense consider glass..Old Fenwicks are nice, even an old wonder rod..

sundrunk wrote:
I'd look for an old Southbend on ebay...Fish feel so much better on boo, IMO..If you want the feel of boo with out the expense consider glass..Old Fenwicks are nice, even an old wonder rod..

I agree. For the amount of money you want to spend, fiberglass is the way to go.

If you are lucky some glass is going as high as Boo any more. I have bothe and love them..

i got into bamboo and got out just as quick. reason - I try to buy things that I recan re-sell (if need be) and you really got to know what you're getting with cane rods (especially in your price range). Want a slow rod - check this out:

http://www.fishinrods.com/vgfly.htm

Glass rods that look like cane for under $75. mine should be here in a couple days and I can report back on a review.

If you were to add about $300, or more like $400, to your price range you can get a rod from local builders and never look back, or a used orvis madison.

For what to look for, yes, light is better. If you find anything around 4 oz or under your in a pretty decent rod.

another option is to find and older/cheaper longer 3-piece rod by brands as you as mentioned and rebuild or have it re-built as a "banty" - use the top two pieces.

Last bit of advice - stay away from "site unseen" purchases on older cane rods unless you want to play the return game. Too many things can be wrong that a seller may honestly not even be aware of like slight delaminations, cracked ferrules, non-original parts or entire sections, etc.

If you do find anything, feel free to run it by us before you buy.

Good luck on your decisions!

I was given an 8 ft 8wt. Orvis new Bamboo at work so I wanted to treasure it but it was just to heavy to be fun-I swapped for a graphite-tradition is nice,up to a point.The smaller,lighter rods -you bet it would be special-same for glass
smiley-cool.gif

skiltonian wrote:
i got into bamboo and got out just as quick. reason - I try to buy things that I recan re-sell (if need be) and you really got to know what you're getting with cane rods (especially in your price range). Want a slow rod - check this out:

http://www.fishinrods.com/vgfly.htm

I'd be interested in your review of the fibercane rod. Too bad they don't make 7'3" or 7'6". That's a length I might be interested in. The 8 footer may work out, so I'd like to hear your thoughts.

i'll put up a review after I get a few bends in the rod...

There are bamboo rods and rods made of bamboo and there is a huge difference.

Most cheap boo rods are simply rods made of bamboo and don’t feel or perform anything like a true “boo rod.” Most cheap rods are machine made and mass-produced from poor cane stock and really suck. You will spend $100 on a rod and be greatly disappointed.

True boo rods are really a work of art and handmade to exacting specifications and tapers. Check out www.codella.com for some good used boo rods. If you want to experience a real 3-5 wt boo rod under 8 feet in length expect to pay upwards of $500. (You can find some great used 8.5 to 9.5 foot 5-7wt boo rods for under $500 but they are heavy so don’t expect to high stick nymph with one of these for any extended period of time – casting is fine, high stick nymphing is not.) And then you’ve got tapers and not all boo rods have the same action. There are fast action boo rods just as there are slow action boo rods. A taper that almost everyone starts with and it is pretty much universally accepted as the all purpose taper is the Paul Young ‘Perfectionist’ taper. It is a 7.5 foot rod for 4/5wt line. But expect to pay upwards of $500 for a well-made Perfectionist taper rod. But you won’t be disappointed.

Some very helpful info everybody...thanks!

Does anybody know anything about Hazel Creek Rod Co. bamboo rods? I came across one, didn't buy it, and am now regretting it.

Thoughts?

I'm far from an expert on boo but I've never heard of or seen a Hazel Creek boo rod. That may or may not mean anything because there are literally hundreds of small makers but you've got to be careful because some boo rod makers don't make the rod blank, which makes the whole rod. Some makers actually purchase pre-built boo blanks and all they do is put on the hardware and the blanks may or may not be quality.

If you go boo make sure the maker of the rod makes the blank.

We sell custom BOO here too.

Dear David,

Save your money until you have $ 200.00 to $ 400.00.

Then buy a nice South Bend 290. It's a 7 1/2 foot 5 weight and it's a versatile smooth casting rod that you will enjoy using. It will allow you enter the boo world for not a lot of money and it will always be worth what you paid for it should you decide boo is not your cup of tea.

Just so you know there are some nice 8 1/2 and 9 foot rods out there for less money than a 290 in good condition. I own and fish a South Bend 359 that is an 8 1/2 foot long 5 weight. It can be fished all day without you needing rotator cuff surgery at the end of the day. The same goes for a Granger 9050, it's a 9 foot 5 weight that can also be fished all day.

Yes as bamboo rods get longer they get heavier, but so do graphite rods. You never hear someone saying they have to use a 7 1/2 foot graphite rod because a 9 footer wears them out do you?

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

David, stop over and see Tim Zietak he is in Pittsburgh. I think from time to time he has used rods and may have some project rods on hand. He can also make you a blank Quad or Hex.

Joe E

Any one familiar with South Bend #347? From what I can gather, the #47 is a bass taper, but the 3 in front denotes a dry fly action, so I am confused!

Also bought a Montigue 8' Rapidan with one eye missing for $20. It is in great shape other than the missing eye. It feels very nice in my hand and casts smoothly...

I just got approval from the wife to get another one for Valentines day...offers like that don't come from her very frequently, so I'd better take advantage of it while I can!

don't worry much about what a rod is "supposed" to do, take it out and cast it with some different lines and see what works best on it and if you like it. if ya like it, then fish it!
those ratings were for lines made 50 years ago. my guess would be a dt6 or a wf7 would work good on it, but you may find something else works better for your style.

yeah,i would guess that montague would be a six weight.i always start with a six when i'm trying to figure out an unknown glass or bamboo rod and work up or down accordingly.

murph is spot on with the 290/291 advice,but they are getting increasingly harder to find at a good price now that they are so known.

montagues and Horrocks ibbotsons are generally not as well thought of,but once in a while you come across some gems.i collect a store brand of HI's and fish them more than most rods,bamboo or plastic.

an eight and a half or nine foot six weight production rod can still be had for low buckage.i always did labor,like say,swing a hammer for eight hour stretches.a nine foot bamboo rod doesn't scare me off.not suggested for the weak,haha(i'm joking,note the haha)

GreenWeenie wrote: There are bamboo rods and rods made of bamboo and there is a huge difference. Most cheap boo rods are simply rods made of bamboo and don’t feel or perform anything like a true “boo rod.” Most cheap rods are machine made and mass-produced from poor cane stock and really suck. You will spend $100 on a rod and be greatly disappointed.

Probably a little late to post, but these are very wise words. I don't think you're likely to have a good experience with a $100 rod. The cost of rod components (reel seat, grip, guides, ferrules) will be between $60 - $80, so you can do the math on how much value the maker puts on their $100 product. My belief is that many folks pick up a cheap, poorly constructed bamboo rod and immediately write off all bamboo as heavy and limp. Some are, but the good ones aren't. The Sweetwater and Thamer rods I've cast were light, sensitive, responsive. Someday I hope to cast original ****ersons, PHY's and others.

The bamboo rod market is flourishing, in spite of what some say about bamboo's inferiority to graphite. Bamboo Graphite. That's neither a good thing nor a bad thing, it's just an "is." But IM6 IM8 IMX as well. They all fish differently and they're offered because people fish / cast differently. For some, bamboo is more than the sum of its parts, and ultimately you need to see if you feel the magic. I liken the bamboo community to those who like black licorice. Not everyone likes it, but those who do like it A LOT!

I'm building a ****erson 7012 taper right now. It's an amazing, fast-action bamboo and the test casts have been impressive. Next up will be a PHY taper, perhaps a Parabolic 15, which I've heard is a cannon. Schweibert and others speak highly of the longer bamboo rods, but make no mention of excessive weight, poor feel, etc. I tend to trust their opinions.

Len Codella has an excellent site and offers comprehensive info on bamboo rods, actions etc. Builder-wise, Lew Parks, Bill Critchfield, AJ Thramer are well-respected builders and will get you into bamboo for between $500 - $1000, and these are investments that hold their value. Also, check out the bamboo forum at http://clarksclassicflyrodforum.yuku.com/

Let us know what you decide.

EG

Back