bamboo rods

R

rubby

could someone tell me whats the good points of a bamboo rod & bad

Good: Feel and casting rhythm. A good bamboo rod feels more like an extension of my arm than any other rod I've cast and I've cast more thana few in 45+ years of flyfishing. Fiberglass comes close as do some of the full flex rods made by Orvis. Perhaps I'm biased because I cut me teeth with bamboo in my hand and I simply find the slower rhythm to my liking. I purchased a Dream Catcher rod in 2012 and not fished another rod since.

Bad: High cost.

Also, additional care is required to wipe down the rod after fishing as well as hanging it in the rod sock to dry before placing in its case. Also, a bamboo rod needs to be stored in a cool, dry place with makes keeping in your vehicle in hot weather is out of the question.

I too have a dream catcher. Its a mistake to say bamboo is slow. Its true that they make lots of slow tapers because bamboo nuts like old styles and the old style is slow. But you can make fast tapers too.

Advantages. Well, theres a far bigger range of actions, and most custom jobs are truly custom as opposed to using an existing blank and adding accessories. Generally I think they tend to be more accurate than graphite. The weight and resulting momentum corrects some of my casting deficiencies.

Disadvantage has to be weight. This forces shorter rods or else they become tootip heavy. Shorter rods are not as good at lifting line over currents and the like. Another is cost. You can get some dirt cheap and there are diamonds in theruff. But a newer high quality rod from an established maker can easily run you a grand or more. When it comes to true distance casting I don't think they match graphite either, because of shorter length and an inability to make the stops abrupt with that much weight behind it.

I think pcray's post is very accurate.

For me, the pluses are the beauty of the material, and the tapers designed for fishing instead of distance casting.

I don't consider the weight to be a disadvantage on the cane rods I own (8' and shorter).

Disadvantages are no lifetime warranties and cost. However the premium graphite have closed the gap considerably. A Sage One lists for $775 and one of these (a cane rod as good as any out there and better than many) is priced at $850.

pcray1231 wrote:
I too have a dream catcher. Its a mistake to say bamboo is slow. Its true that they make lots of slow tapers because bamboo nuts like old styles and the old style is slow. But you can make fast tapers too.

Advantages. Well, theres a far bigger range of actions, and most custom jobs are truly custom as opposed to using an existing blank and adding accessories. Generally I think they tend to be more accurate than graphite. The weight and resulting momentum corrects some of my casting deficiencies.

Disadvantage has to be weight. This forces shorter rods or else they become tootip heavy. Shorter rods are not as good at lifting line over currents and the like. Another is cost. You can get some dirt cheap and there are diamonds in theruff. But a newer high quality rod from an established maker can easily run you a grand or more. When it comes to true distance casting I don't think they match graphite either, because of shorter length and an inability to make the stops abrupt with that much weight behind it.

nailed it.
I made a 7'6 4wt 2/2 for my father. it was a medium/fast action I would say and not only did I find it to be a bit heavy (as expected) but it did present some issues in the riffle mending line.

as above stated it comes down to cost. From start to finish there is nothing like starting with raw bamboo, planning it correctly to specific tapers, and fishing with it when finished. That alone buying from a reputable maker is undoubtedly going to cost at least 1k for sure like pcray stated.

There are some kits out there that provide you with reasonable options to build (if you were ever so inclined) or take to a rod builder to try it out and see if its something you like to fish with.

I will say that I skipped out on the fun part of splitting my own Tonkin cane and went right to a source in china to get a rod blank that was apready prepped for me.

That's why I will consider myself now a bamboo rod "builder" not "maker"

all in all when I was finished I think I had about 300 or a little more into it minus my time. Which I never charge for because its a passion not a job.

in any event, I sincerely hope you get the info you are searching for. I do not know a ton about them but if you ever decide you want to try and build one from a kit shoot me a message. You have most of the equipment in your home already.

Chris

Compared to a modern graphite or fiberglass rod, bamboo can be heavy; that's why -all other things equal - used bamboo on ebay that are 6'6'" -'or 7'6" will sell for more than the longer ones.

A modern glass rod can give you similar action with lighter weight, and may cause some real head-scratching about one's preferences, especially in the 6'6" - 7'9" range.

Other advantages for boo are that they are more durable, especially compared to the latest generations super fast hollow plastic tubes. And even if you manage to break a bamboo, they can be repaired. Depending on the taper, boos tend to protect 7-12X better on the hookup and fight, and also hold the fish better. The feel of the fish on boo is much better than plastic, although some glass (especially some of the new ones) and boron are pretty good.

The stroke is different, but after I ffish with fast graphite for awhile, when I switch back to boo I don't feel like I have to 'push' the rod. An analogy: imagine using a hammer with no weight at all to drive a nail.

Good Points: For the most part, they are beautifully made works of true craftsmanship, not mass produced soulless factory product. They're fun and relaxing to cast once you find the tapers that work with your style. They're much more durable than most folks think. And if it matters to you, they will hold value much better than plastic rods.

Cons: Other than cost, I can't really think of any. They may require a bit of extra upkeep, if you like taking care of your gear. If not, most of that's just the anal tendency of the owner....you don't really need to wipe the rod down with a clean diaper cloth after every use, or air it out necessarily. But if you like keeping your gear nice, the minor effort is worth it. And on the cost front, if you educate yourself and do some shopping, there are plenty of great cane rods out there in the affordable range (that being at or a couple hundred below what you'd pay for a top shelf plastic stick.) The Lancaster rods linked above are a great value, especially if you pick one up second hand in the $500-600 range. Also lots of nice vintage Orvis out there in that range also.

And unlike most others, I don't consider the weight to be an issue. Too me, complaining about the weight of a cane vs plastic rod is like complaining about the weight of a bottled beer vs one from a can...keep using the heavier tool and the you won't notice it over time.

And while PCray mentions that cane rods can be built to be 'fast', that fast is still gonna feel slow compared to hi end graphite. I had a DreamCatcher model for a while that was describe by them as their 'fastest taper', it was 7'6"/5wt and at most I'd rate it as similar to a 'medium-fast' plastic rod. No where near as quick as factory fast action, but definitely faster than the rest of my quiver...so I ended up trading it since it wasn't quite to my liking.

Which demonstrates to me one of the true beauties of cane rods, they can be made to suit your preferences from the ground up and as your tastes and style change, you can find a rod to match pretty easily.

thanks guys,im going to get a 6ft 6in 3wt off ebay,brand new builder is from n.c.,i won the bid at 235.00,can,t wait till it gets here to try it out

there ya go. post some pictures of it when you get it so we can see

I only have one boo. And yeah, I'd call it "medium fast" by graphite standards. Medium fast suits me well, and yeah, it's among the faster DreamCatchers. I'm actually guessing mine is the same basic taper as the one tomit had, just extended to an 8 footer.

I have cast a few truly fast ones by other makers, though. Stick some bristles on the end and you have yourself a broom!

When you go to faster versions, you do lose some of the tippet protection and cool feel of fish that lestrout was talking about. That, again, has more to do with the bendiness (i.e. speed) of the rod than the material. Shows how many equate all bamboo with slow rods.

When I bought mine I test casted a whole bunch of rods to figure out what I wanted. What's really striking is how different every rod truly is. We feel differences between different graphite sticks, and those differences do exist, but after realizing how much larger the range is in bamboo, you begin to see all graphite sticks as awfully similar. I hated some and loved others. I have a feeling many bamboo "haters" try a few and hate them, and then transfer those emotions to the whole lot. It'd be the equivalent of test driving a Prius, not liking it, and then saying that all Toyota's are too small, weak, and slow.

rubby wrote:
thanks guys,im going to get a 6ft 6in 3wt off ebay,brand new builder is from n.c.,i won the bid at 235.00,can,t wait till it gets here to try it out

Is that a new hand planed rod made by the guy in N.C.? If so, that is an unbelievably low price.

It is much easier to make a bad bamboo rod than a bad graphite rod and it all starts with the quality of the raw cane and the taper.

A poorly designed grass rod or rod that uses a poor piece of cane will feel like $hit. While there are hidden gems out there, for the most part expect to drop at least $350 to get yourself a quality used 3-6wt rod that feels good. If going to buy a new 3-6wt rod expect to drop at least $650 on a lessor known but quality boutique maker. At the $800-$1000 level you can get a tremendous new rod. If you don't mind heavier line weights,you can find nice used grass rods in 7/8wt for $250 simply because these weights aren't as popular.

Making a bamboo rod is a craft and an art. The maker needs to start with a quality piece of Tonkin and the better makers will discard more cane than they use while the less discerning makers will use every piece of cane they get so their rods are inconsistent from rod to rod due to inferior raw product. This is not cutting a piece of carbon fiber a certain way and wrapping it around a mandrel it's selecting the right piece of wood, splitting it, tapering it, and glueing it together.

It is amazing how different a 7.5 foot 4/5wt rod can feel based on different tapers. If you are planning on buying a grass rod, try many because some tapers you may love and others you may hate. A great starting point is a 7.5 foot 4/5wt rod based on the Paul Young Perfectionist taper. If there is one taper that everyone seems to like, this is the one.

There are makers who guarantee the product. This is what drew me to Dream Catcher. Wyatt guarantees the rod for his lifetime. Given that he is at least 20 years younger than I, expect to outlive the warranty. God willing and the creek don't rise.

If anyone has contact info for the aforementioned RWLancaster rods could you please PM me. Would like to discuss his rods with him.

Thanks

A great starting point is a 7.5 foot 4/5wt rod based on the Paul Young Perfectionist taper. If there is one taper that everyone seems to like, this is the one.

You've just proven what you said about some you'll love and some you'll hate. I personally love the Perfectionist taper, but I know a few people who absolutely despise it.

You've just proven what you said about some you'll love and some you'll hate. I personally love the Perfectionist taper, but I know a few people who absolutely despise it.

Count me as one who really digs that taper, at least in the quad configuration I've been fishin'. It's the rod I traded the DC and another 7'6"/4wt for. The 4wt I had was too soft in the tip for my pace and the DC was great to cast, but not my favorite for fishin', little strong in the tip. So I traded both for something that really works for me after waggling a bunch here and there and casting a handful...this rod is great with a 4wf for dries, or step up to a 5dt if there's some heft to that brace of wet flies your swingin'. Great rod and I've had trouble not picking it to fish on my last month's worth of outings.

Next on my list to try is a Payne 100. I have a few Payne tapers in the shorter lengths that are great fishin' rods, curious how the longer ones behave.

Great topic going, mainly because I fish a few bamboo rods on a regular basis. I have a built a number of rods (from culm to finish), and fish them for both wet and dry fly fishing.

The replies here did a great job discussing pros and cons, but the only way to do bamboo justice is by simply casting and fishing one. From there, you can get into the discussion of tapers, of which bamboo has some "fast" actions, but understand that it's different from graphite (which I enjoy, too).

For those of you in the western PA area, I recommend a buddy of mine who builds rods named Don Ward. He has been to the main Bamboo Gatherings, has had booths in Cranberry and at the Michigan show, and is close to being on the Fly Fishing Show circuit. He builds some great rods, and his finish is getting more incredibly with each one. The best advantage is that you can talk with him, and he can put various bamboo rods in your hands to see which feels right.

His website is: Keystone Fly Rod Company

Great to see this thread continuing, and can't wait until someone gets into the way that rods respond to different lines... ;-)

Tim

My dad had a bamboo rod, and the first couple times I went out fly fishing I learned with his bamboo rod. I don't think anything has ever felt more natural than casting with his bamboo rod. I currently have a 4 weight 9 foot fiber glass rod with mid flex, and I love it, but nothing compares to the bamboo rod.

Back