Bamboo, Rods.

Probably not the cost you're looking for but if you really want to BUILD a rod Jim Downs does classes. You stay at Jonas' place and over the course of 5 days he instructs you while building your rod of choice. Plus it's right no Penn's creek. Schedule it in the spring and you got an amazing 5 days, rod building during the day and fishing the evening hatches of penns.

http://www.ljdownesrodcompany.com/LJD_classes.html

edit: i believe the price for the class / materials and board at the feathered hook is about the price of a new rod, can't really beat that!

If you're dead set on finishing out a boo rod, get one that's already ferruled.
As for those cheap China blanks, A friend built a couple (Payne 98 & ****erson 861711 Tapers) and both had poor construction in terms of node spacing and glue lines. But, both turned out to be surprisingly nice casting rods.

Well i guess I have one question towards the blanks.

What makes them cheap? Do they fall apart easily or some thing?

I just don't know what would make the blank I was looking at suck. Especially if it doesn't fall apart and can cast a line. I was never looking for high quality stuff. When I got into fly fishing I didnt start out with some thing like orvis but I started out with a new k-mart rod that would get the job done. You gotta start some where.. But i eventually got better quality stuff.

Tobewan,

I liked the stuff you said it was very useful stuff.

TimMurphy,

Thanks for the offer but I cant make that kind of drive. I appreciate it very much though.

Jon
Concerning the quality of a bamboo blank...
Unlike a graphite rod each rod is pretty much exactly the same in a production rod.. each bamboo rod is hand made to a certain set of parameters by the craftsman who is building the blank. No two will ever be exactly the same. A quality bamboo rod builder is going to use their expierence to pick the right culms of bamboo for the particular rod they intend to build. then hours and hours of work go into turning the bamboo into a rod blank. What has me and I believe many that have responded to your questions "hooked" on bamboo is the fact that my rods have been built by a craftsman that has put their time, talent and artistic abilities into producing a one of a kind tool for flyfishing.
Without starting out with a quality blank you can not develope a quality rod.
Bill A

bassistjon112 wrote:
Well i guess I have one question towards the blanks.

What makes them cheap? Do they fall apart easily or some thing?

I just don't know what would make the blank I was looking at suck. Especially if it doesn't fall apart and can cast a line. I was never looking for high quality stuff. When I got into fly fishing I didnt start out with some thing like orvis but I started out with a new k-mart rod that would get the job done. You gotta start some where.. But i eventually got better quality stuff.

Tobewan,

I liked the stuff you said it was very useful stuff.

I either know, or know of many of the posters above that responded to your post about buying a cheap boo blank. These guys really know their stuff and tend to be very modest about their knowledge of both fishing and bamboo rods.

I am not really a boo guy like they are, but I've bought some cheap boo rods on ebay and refurbed them just for fun. But to answer your question, yes it may fall apart (delaminate), or take a set (curve), or twist, or break, or just not cast or fish well. You may very well end up wasting money you really don’t have to waste.

GW said it well, boo making is an art. It starts with knowledge, skill, proper tools, quality materials and ends with many hours of labor. Odds are a $75 boo blank will not end up being a real bargain.

If it were me and I was just started out FFing, I would buy a decent, modestly priced graphite rod that casts well for me and save up my money for a decent boo rod. While saving for the rod, I would do some research and cast rods from different builders and different tapers. Also taking up the offers from some of the posters above really be great experience, and I would bet end up with you finding a great fishing partner. And when you have the funds, you will possess the knowledge to choose the right rod for you and the fishing and casting skills to appreciate a fine boo rod.

As tobewan77 posted, taking boo building lessons and building my own rod from scratch always intrigued me. Maybe someday.

Good luck.

jon,i think it would be smart to pose these same questions at clarkes.
you'll learn a lot there.

i fish bamboo first,fiberglass second and graphite third.i only use cheap bamboo though!

heres a link to clarks:

http://clarksclassicflyrodforum.yuku.com/directory

shakey wrote:

i fish bamboo first,fiberglass second and graphite third.i only use cheap bamboo though!

heres a link to clarks:

What cheap bamboo rods do you use? Thanks for the website, its very useful so far.

This is just a thought you could have one of the local Rod Makers Bill Harms or Tom Whittle make you a blank on a Vince Marinaro taper (just a little PA tradition). You can read the reviews on the different rods/ tapers in "Split & Glued By Vincent C. Marinaro. If you don’t want to purchase the book I could PDF and email it to you.

Joe E

JoeE wrote:
This is just a thought you could have one of the local Rod Makers Bill Harms or Tom Whittle make you a blank on a Vince Marinaro taper (just a little PA tradition). You can read the reviews on the different rods/ tapers in "Split & Glued By Vincent C. Marinaro. If you don’t want to purchase the book I could PDF and email it to you.

Joe E

Thanks, do either of those guys have a website? I'm still deciding where to purchase a blank. I'm giving my self until Jan. or Feb. to make a decision.

~Jon

i'd trust these blanks, only because they're offered up by hook and hackle. I HAVE NOT used them, but am very interested in them:

http://shop4.mailordercentral.com/hookhack/products.asp?dept=966

take it for what it's worth. They are US made blanks. Hook and Hackle has never let me down.

bassistjon112 wrote:
shakey wrote:

heres a link to clarks:

What cheap bamboo rods do you use? Thanks for the website, its very useful so far.

i collect sport king rods.they were montgomery wards store brand.most of the rods were built by horrocks ibbotson,which was a mass producer.H-I rods are very poorly thought of but i like their sport king models.

i am not suggesting you look for a sport king bamboo rod.i happen to collect them(i have four SK rods and about as many sport king reels)because i enjoy them,i'm not claiming they are any good.sport kings often need ferrule work done .

i also fish shakespeare bamboo.

you can get longer and heavier bamboo rods cheaper.usually an eight and a half foot six weight is going to be much cheaper than ,say a seven and a half foot four weight.

don't forget,fighting a fish on bamboo is very different than most plastic rods.a six weight bamboo feels more like a 3 or four weight graphite rod when you're fighting the fish.

if you're anywhere near philly ,you are welcome to try my rods.

good luck.

http://www.wmharmsrods.com/

http://www.stonycreekrods.com/

Both are usually at the Maryland Fly fishing show in January. Both are nice guys and can talk rods all day.

Joe E

Back