Bamboo rod repair

• Thread starter IdratherbePhishing
  • Start date
I

IdratherbePhishing

Recently snapped the tip off my bamboo rod. It's snapped in half. Not sure if it can be fixed or new piece made. Anyone know of a bamboo repairmen anywhere close to Harrisburg? Or recommend a solution. Thanks

You could try Wyatt Deitrich in Chambersburg. Google dreamcatcher fly Rods.

I bought a used rod made by him that had the original owners name inscribed on it and he removed it for me. He was a really nice guy and did the work quickly and at no charge.

Wyatt is top notch. I have one of his rods and it has been repaired once. Took it apart once and the ferrule slid off the blank instead of coming apart. He fixed it, and then pinned it so it doesn't happen again.

Warranty for the lifetime of the rodmaker!

The website says they do repairs to a "fishable" condition, but not restoration services. I think that means he'd use modern methods of repair, regardless of the original form. No idea what he'd charge on a rod made by someone else. But he's a good guy and as capable as anyone of making a repair.

Also try Jim Downes up in Coburn, easily reached thru Jonas at the Feathered Hook.

Second for Wyatt. Just received my new rod on June 30th. It only took 1 week, so I would expect repairs would be made quickly as well.
Best to get it to him before he goes back to teaching in the fall.

Yea unfortunately to replace it would be more then I could afford to spend. So that being said I'll just stick with the second tip until something else horrible happens

Just curious, what kind of rod is it?

Machocheese wrote:
Just curious, what kind of rod is it?

Its a three piece, now.

(that didn't take you long at all, Phish, one trip?)

Phish:

You have my empathy.

You can have it scarfed but I am not sure if anyone local does that. It basically involved removing some of the strips on either side of the break and inserting new pieces to bridge the break. Downside is it would cost somewhere around $200 or so.

On the positive side, that is why bamboo rods are usually made with two tips. It is not that they are fragile. They are quite tough, especially with modern glues, but are still subject to the same hazzards as any other rod.

The second tip was meant as insurance, especially if you were on a trip, so you would not need to take a back-up rod. It also makes more sense than the lifetime warrenties that drive up the cost of graphite rods.

Shock

Give Orvis a call for an estimate. I worked in an Orvis shop in the past and sent broken bamboo rods to their repair shop often. Most of the rods that I sent were not Orivs rods. They were quick to do the repair and return the rods. Their work was very good as well. Their repair charges were always very reasonable.

It's a cheap china bamboo headwaters. There customer service is garbage. Therefore my post. I got the rod really cheap that's why I decided to give it a shot. Not sure bamboo is worth my time after. I've never even been close to breaking a graphite or glass rod. Basically if it's more than a hundred to fix its not worth my time.

And yes Gary I broke the tip on the first trip thanks **** lol.

don't blame me. i learned that bamboo wasn't for me regardless of people's expectations.

i even stuck a mcfarland in your hand and said, "try this." my other suggestion? find an old metal ferrulled phillipson.

No I wasn't blaming you at all. Just harassing for u pointing it out. I loved the way it felt and casted. Takin it out tonight let's see wat happens.

Another option for you is Ben Turpin. He refurbished a cane rod for me a few years ago and did a fantastic job. You can check his website: www.benturpin.com He is a great guy and an excellent craftsman. Best wishes

Back