Bamboo rod refinising/repair

Hopdemon

Hopdemon

I have a couple of bamboo rods that need to have guides rewrapped, and since they are vintage I was looking to have them done with the correct silks.I also have a couple that need repairing.. things like ferrules re- attached and breaks.Do any of you know of anyone in the area (harrisburg)that does this work?The fellow that I used passed away and I haven't had any luck finding anyone. Any help would be appreciated

Yeah, Wyatt Dietrich out of Chambersburg. Dream Catcher Fly Rods is the name.

He doesn't restore rods, only repairs to "a fishable condition". So you'd have to talk with him about the vintage rods, but I'd think he'd be a go for the rewrapping of guides and breaks.

Barry Weaver in Elizabethtown.

You can PM me for his contact information.

Thanks cpr ...pm sent

I had a 50 year old bamboo completely refurbished by Ben Turpin. You can check out his website at www.benturpin.com He did a great job on my rod and did it in a reasonable amount of time. I recommend him. So if you like, check out his website.

Can you get silk thread that is correct for re wrapping guides at a sewing store ?

Dear hopdemon,

I know a bamboo builder in Boiling Springs that can help you out. He re-set a ferrule and replaced the damaged wraps on a Granger for me and you can't tell it from the original finish.

I also know a guy in the Pocono's that will refinish a rod in the correct silks, reset ferrules, replace ferrules, etc but it might take me a day or two to dig up his contact information.

Send a PM if you still need some help.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Dear Bruno,

Mudhole, Anglers Warehouse in WA State, and a number of other larger rod building supply houses will have the silk.

The reel stuff ain't cheap though.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Back