Bamboo rod--any thoughts on this one?

sight_nymph_17109 wrote:
I really want to post here but feel it might be my last one if I do.

The right time to try bamboo was 1906. Sorry acristickid, you missed the boat. Looks like you'll be stuck using modern materials that are lighter, stronger and out perform bamboo. That stinks.

Many of us were thinking it. You said it.

He he. I was only half kidding.

acristickid wrote:
How does an fly angler know when it's time to try Bamboo?

The time to try it is while you are still breathing.

When the sun gets in your eyes from having your nose too far in the air.

Or, when you trade your car in for a penny-farthing.

220px-Ordinary_bicycle01.jpg

Or maybe sometime after you reject technology altogether and become a luddite.

:-D

I tried Bamboo this spring. I loved it but I like slower action rods. After you fish Graphite and Fiberglass I guess it's time. Bamboo does require a little extra care. The rod must be completely dry before placement in the sock and tube. Also the tips tend to develop a "Set" in them. When fighting a fish you should alternate pressure from side to side to try and counteract this. Overall I loved the experience of fishing with Bamboo.

I'm going to start a Panda breeding club. We will then unleash them on the worlds bamboo supply. Problem solved and I won't have to endure anymore bamboo and silk line threads.

Death to bamboo....... and compartment boxes that cost $180

Edit: I just read post #25. Wow if that isn't a reason to not use them, I don't know what is. When fishing with your buds, you skip dinner because you have to properly dry and store the cane rod? Thank God I have a horseless carriage and can drive away from boo boo guys.

I know some of my flyfishing buddies don't care for Bamboo. They think I'm crazy for fishing with outdated technology. I like it and will continue to fish a Bamboo rod from time to time. Oh and you don't have to have your nose in the air to enjoy it!!

WildTigerTrout wrote:
Also the tips tend to develop a "Set" in them. When fighting a fish you should alternate pressure from side to side to try and counteract this.

yikes.... no thanks.

sight_nymph_17109 wrote:
I'm going to start a Panda breeding club. We will then unleash them on the worlds bamboo supply. Problem solved and I won't have to endure anymore bamboo and silk line threads.

Death to bamboo....... and compartment boxes that cost $180

Edit: I just read post #25. Wow if that isn't a reason to not use them, I don't know what is. When fishing with your buds, you skip dinner because you have to properly dry and store the cane rod? Thank God I have a horseless carriage and can drive away from boo boo guys.

Who needs electric light though.

The irony of it all is that the bamboo guys are probably shooting state of the art fly line like Sharkskin or the like...

Nope. They're all 'silked' up.

WildTigerTrout wrote:
I know some of my flyfishing buddies don't care for Bamboo. They think I'm crazy for fishing with outdated technology. I like it and will continue to fish a Bamboo rod from time to time. Oh and you don't have to have your nose in the air to enjoy it!!

One could also say fly rods were always outdated because nets and dynomite were invented before that.;-)

Hey SN, I'm trying to help the guy out.

FarmerDave,
Did you happen to catch my question about snake guides? Any idea if the number of guides has any bearing on line weight? Or if a combination of guide #, wraps, and wrap colors would help ID the rod?
Thanks!

No! I use Cortland Classic "Sylk" 5wtf on the Bamboo. It casts very well. I tried casting a "Sharkskin" on a friends "Sage" SLT and really liked that also except for the noise. I said I liked fishing Bamboo NOT that's all I fish. One of my favorite rods is a "MODERN" Graphite "Sage" VT2 9' 6wt. I guess I'm just trying to get a feel for all aspects of flyfishing.

Don’t pay any attention to SN. I think he has a crush on me.

It's about nostalgia and craftsmanship and he doesn't get that. You gotta understand that this is what he would call quality high tech diningroom furniture.

Attachments

• 180834-SM2.jpg
    180834-SM2.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 2
Now that is funny!! LOL.

Wildfish wrote:
FarmerDave,
Did you happen to catch my question about snake guides? Any idea if the number of guides has any bearing on line weight? Or if a combination of guide #, wraps, and wrap colors would help ID the rod?
Thanks!

I was going to respond to all that. anyway, here it is.

All that would be helpful for identification.

However, it is hard to identify Montagues from the winding colors. Many of those were wound by housewives looking for extra income, and they didn't always stick to the plan and sometimes used whatever color they wanted. I'm not making that up.

I'm rusty on this, but I'll keep digging around to see what i can figure out. There are also discussion boards out there that can probably help you out better. Sorry, I haven't visited any in years, so I can't make recommendations.

I’ll look over some of my old stuff and compare things. Plus, Sinclair’s book gets a little into identifying rods. I’ll crack it open and see what I can learn.

Figuring out the model name is not likely.

The rod looks like it was re-varnished many years ago.

Is there any shadow of a possible label a few inches ahead of the grip?

Are there any markings on the holder? Any marking anywhere on the reel seat, including numbers?

I sold a Devine fly rod for a friend a few years ago, and if memory serves me there were similarities there, too. Reel seat looked the same. But unfortunately I don’t have it anymore to compare.

Thanks FarmerDave,
Please don't spend too much time looking around. I'm mostly just curious. I'll probably land a couple of fish on it, then put it up for sale on eBay and let someone else give it a go.

As for markings, there are none. I'll look again, but I think this is totally unmarked and was indeed probably re-varnished.
Again, thanks for taking the time!

Back