Bamboo rod--any thoughts on this one?

Wildfish

Wildfish

Bought this bamboo rod on an impulse the other day. It was cheap, had a wood reel seat, and I wanted to try casting one. With no logos/wording of any kind I have no idea what it is. 8'6 and came with this case. Any thoughts? Junk production bass rod? Or something more interesting?

Attachments

• IMG_1688.JPG
    IMG_1688.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1689.JPG
    IMG_1689.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1690.JPG
    IMG_1690.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1691.JPG
    IMG_1691.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1694.JPG
    IMG_1694.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 3
Couple more

Attachments

• IMG_1695.JPG
    IMG_1695.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1696.JPG
    IMG_1696.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 3
I have one similar. The info I got was that it was a quality american made rod, but not a "collector" caliber. So use it and enjoy.

Here are the people you want to get involved to find out more about the rod...
http://classicflyrodforum.com/

good luck...let us know what you find out...

Looks like a Chubb but ask the big kids on the classic board as has been suggested.

Thanks guys. I'm liking this bamboo thing. It's really slow, which is awesome, but not something I would want in a 6+ weight. Would definitely be fun in a little 2 or 3 weight. Too bad everyone else agrees.

You could always have someone, or youself by all means, make it in to a 2 piece rod using only the top 2 sections. If it is a 3 piece that is. I have a few I'm going to have done that way.

Wildfish
That looks to be an older production rod but post some pics on Clarks forum if you want the details. The Bamboo Bug can bite hard but it is alot of fun. You should cast as many rods as you can before you dive in. If you fish the breeches at all PM me and I'll let you cast a few. I started with Bammboo about 5 years ago and never went back to plastic..
Bill A

You can also ask here.......

http://fishnbanjosplace.yuku.com/directory

I'll second the idea to make it a "banty" rod if it's a 3 piece, but you have to try casting some line on the pieces first, not all rods make good banty rods, some can be real dogs.
I take the top two sections and just tape a reel on the end and see how it casts.

I don't really want to damage the rod in any way. It seems (according to the classic fly rod guys) that it's an early mid-high range montague. It loads well with a 5w line. I might try to turn around and sell it if someone else can get some use out of it. Might help me get to the brookie rod I'm after.

You can make an extra handle to make it a banty without damaging the rod, if that is of interest to you.

It looks like a chubb to me as well (Rolf), all of my reference materials are at work. IMO don’t make a banty out of the rod unless you break the butt section, unless you just can’t stand the rod; fish the rod for what it was intended to do. I love short rods and I’ll fish big water with them as well but when you start messing with the intent you loose the history (enough said) and performance. Just my take for what it is worth. Refinish the rod yourself and get practice and fish the rod you will be surprised. Go to http://clarksclassicflyrodforum.yuku.com/topic/37759/t/durability-test-video.html, Bill Oyster‘s video is excellent and circular rod buyers want a warranty, do this with your $100-900 dollar circular rods. I’ll take some heat, but I’m okay with that:).

Joe E

Hey JoeE,
I wasn't planning to do anything that would damage the rod. If it is indeed a Chubb that dates it to before 1900 right? From what I'm reading it looks to be a montague from right after they acquired Chubb, so maybe an early 1900s Montague that was unlabeled?

Anyway, the rod is definitely cool, just a little on the heavy side, plus the metal guides don't seem ideally suited for my line (and I don't want my new Rio Grande line to get scratched on the metal). Any recommendations for line?
Thanks!

David wrote:
You can make an extra handle to make it a banty without damaging the rod, if that is of interest to you.

You beat me to it.

Wildfish wrote:
Hey JoeE,
I wasn't planning to do anything that would damage the rod. If it is indeed a Chubb that dates it to before 1900 right? From what I'm reading it looks to be a montague from right after they acquired Chubb, so maybe an early 1900s Montague that was unlabeled?

Actually both could be right.

check out this link.

Good for you in not messing with it. i was going to say the same thing.

I have a couple books on this stuff at home, but I'm not at home. I'm not an expert, but I'd say it was at least influenced by Chubb.

Chubb himself didn't produce any bamboo rods after the 1891 fire (at least not production rods). Montague bought them out after the fire and Chubb stayed on for about a year. But Montague also bought many of his patents and even kept the name. I don't know how long they kept the name though. so it could be an early Montague, or an early Chub by montague, or if it is really old, it could be a Chubb.

By the way, I have rod that is made of six bamboo strips, but it is actually rouund. It is either 9.5 ot 10 feet, can't remember. A real pretty rod that I plan to restore some day. It also looks like a Chubb rod, but I don't know if chubb made any split can rods that way. I'm leaning towards it being an English built rod.

I can tell you this. the ferrules do not look like montague, at least not the "later ones."

Thanks FarmerDave!
Any idea how I might go about getting more information about specific models? It would be cool to track down more about dates, what other rods might have looked like it, what the wraps/colors mean, etc.

Also, would the number of guides give you any clue as to the original line weight? There are three snake guides on the the two two sections.
Thanks again!

How does an fly angler know when it's time to try Bamboo?

Another interesting article where Chubb is mentioned. apparently tmontague kept the name around as long as they kept the Chub mill in operation (1932).

link

I really want to post here but feel it might be my last one if I do.

The right time to try bamboo was 1906. Sorry acristickid, you missed the boat. Looks like you'll be stuck using modern materials that are lighter, stronger and out perform bamboo. That stinks.

Back