Bamboo Reel Balance Question

D

DavidFin

New to bamboo. As i understand it the flex of the rod does a lot of the work for you. When balancing these rods with a reel, do you consider it like graphite? A light reel was recommended for my setup, casts great, but feels..... different. Amazed with how accurate it is and how tight my loops are.

You'll get some disagreement about this. One school of thought says to use a light reel, the rod already weighs enough and there's no need to balance. The other school of thought (to which I subscribe) says to use a heavier reel for sake of balance. I find a lot more pleasant to cast that way.

It's been argued about for a long time.

Try going out on the lawn and casting the line with no reel on the rod at all.

I've done this with a graphite rod and it casts fine. I think the weight of the reel offers no casting advantage at all.

And I don't think that it makes any difference what kind of rod it is.

redietz wrote:
You'll get some disagreement about this. One school of thought says to use a light reel, the rod already weighs enough and there's no need to balance. The other school of thought (to which I subscribe) says to use a heavier reel for sake of balance. I find a lot more pleasant to cast that way.

It's been argued about for a long time.

Agreed...and we're talking ounces here. If people can't handle the weight of a few ounces in their hand all day, I don't know what to make of that.

I agree, the weight of the reel / balance of the rod has no discernible effect on casting.

But 90% of the time we hold the rod while fishing and a tip-heavy rod makes for a miserable day fishing, fighting the tip all day.

Been there...done that...my rods are now all balanced pretty close to neutral.

YMMV.

Thanks for the feedback guys! I think I'm going to just stick with it how it is right now. If this becomes by battle stick, the one I take out all as opposed to a few hours, I may consider getting a slightly heavier reel for it.

Some people employe wraps of lead core casting line on the arbor to achieve that sense of "perfect balance" on their rod/reel /line combination. If arthritis, tendonitis or other malady catches up to you after x-amount of hours stream side then any fine tune method that makes your day more enjoyable is worth it. Some of those older cane rods 8.5ft. and up can feel like holding a pool cue in reverse after time. It all depends on what's comfortable for you and there's always Advil.

I like it to balance. Back when I used the same reel as I did for my graphite sticks, I had a spool for the boo rod with lead wraps below the backing. Then I got a heavier, large arbor for the boo so I don't do that anymore.

Of course, balance is a function of not only the weight, but the length and taper. Boo's heavier, yeah, but in many cases also shorter so it balances with a similar amount of weight. A long boo rod, though, needs the weight.

And the same is true for graphite rods. I want them balanced, and they do vary some, just not as much.

My rule of thumb is that I want the balance point of the rod and reel combo to be right around where the front of the cork meets the bottom of the blank. +/- an inch is fine. My casting style is to overpower everything, so many with a more traditional cast want it even farther back than that, closer to where your hand grips the cork. You can test it just by balancing the rod on your finger and figuring out where it balances. That's with the line strung and line hanging from the rod tip to the ground, as the line does make a significant difference (removes weight from the reel and adds it to the very end, basically).

Agree it's not so much about how well it casts. Maybe a little. But it's more about how much effort it takes to cast. The balance point is the center of gravity of the rod. The farther your hand from that center of gravity, the more momentum you are fighting with every acceleration and deceleration during the cast.

troutbert wrote:
Try going out on the lawn and casting the line with no reel on the rod at all.

I've done this with a graphite rod and it casts fine. I think the weight of the reel offers no casting advantage at all.

And I don't think that it makes any difference what kind of rod it is.

I do this as I will get the most feel and feedback from the rod. I also find it very helpful when testing different lines on bamboo rods.
For me, it seems that the heavier the reel, the more it takes away from "feel". That is why I'm a fan of lightweight reels. Most of my fishing is on top or swinging near the surface so I'm casting as much as I'm fishing.
Maybe if I nymphed with longer drifts, I'd find that more weight in hand would be a benefit.

Depends on the bamboo rod.. I have found that my classic Bellinger and Peerless reels balance much better on my bamboo (7'0 to 7'9" 4-5 weight rods) than a Hardy Featherweight.

Ron

Rig balance is subjective and balancing a bamboo rod is no different. However, I used to fish a couple of bamboo rods in my quiver with reels much lighter than what I use today on the same or similar rods and when I did, I honestly never had an issue despite the rods being WAY tip heavy. In regards to weight difference, today I am using reels that are as much as 3 oz. heavier on the same rods.

I can’t explain why except maybe now I have more disposable income than I did way back when I used whatever reel I had to get the job done. Or maybe I am more hung up on balancing a rig at the winding check, but it has nothing to do with fatigue and getting older because I never feel anything in my wrist or forearm when I fly fish, only when I wail heavy stuff with my baitcasters all day.

If it helps any, as a point of reference these days for BAMBOO I am using:

Reels in the 8 oz. range for 8’6” - 9’0” 6-8wt rods

Reels in the 6 oz. range for 7’6” – 8”0” 5-6wt rods

Reels in the 4.5 – 5 oz. range for some 6’6” - 7’0” 3-4wt rods

And an oddball pairing of a 3.6 oz. reel with a 7’0” 4wt that balances perfectly (for me).

Of course use what works for you and your rod and is within budget.

Back