Bamboo question

krayfish2

krayfish2

A guy at work said he found this in his dad's attic He knew I fished and wanted me to identify it / tell him how much it's worth. Looking at it, I'd guess it's worth more as a stake for a tomato plant than it is as a fishing tool.

Anybody able to make out the brand or know what it is?

Attachments

• bamboo.jpg
    bamboo.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 10
  • bamboo (1).jpg
    bamboo (1).jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 4
  • bamboo (2).jpg
    bamboo (2).jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 4
Is there any kind of markings on it? Or could you get a bit more light on the rod where most companies "brand label" the rods? I have a book some where that give a generalization of what the old rods were ya know iif it was a good rod or something sold our of a barrel at the 5 and dime store. Maybe I can look at markings and possibly cross reference something.

Try posting your photos and questions here......

http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=69&sid=0f6e3148122e3e8c983a4977776e9718

The label is scraped off pretty badly. Looks like it read MCO or W?CO. It look pretty damn old to me. I put on reading glasses try to see if I could make out the label but no luck. It's 3 pc and guessing around 8'

can always refurb it easily enough with a little time!
As long as the ferrules are sound anyways. Even than you can have new ones turned. If its delaminated it can be glued. No need to tomato stake it.

The spinning guides look suspicious.

I'm thinking that there may be mismatched parts or at least a misguided repair attempt.

I would put the value at somewhere south of $50. Could be turned into something usable with a little work, but the value as a fishing rod would come from the satisfaction of refurbishing and using an antique.

Ok, that's what I was thinking. Better used as wall art than actual rare find. I was just trying to help the guy out. If he gives it to me, I'll use it to hit throw rugs I hang from the washline. LOL.

You haven't really learned anything about the rod. The guide, well, doesn't look original, based on this it doesn't even look like the wrapping matches. It's probably not that valuable, as most aren't. But you haven't really gotten anything substantial towards identifying it.

The label is too scratched off to read, but I'm guessing "CO" stands for company. I don't recognize the label as typical of either Montague or Horrock's Ibbottson, two of the larger production makers that you see a lot of rods from.

Are there any markings on the reel seat? Butt cap? Get good pictures of the label, any other writing on the blank, the wraps and ferrules, butt cap and realseat (and any marking there-on), then take it to the classic fly rod forum.

Are all three pieces the same length?
Do any of them have a set (permanent bend), or are they straight?
Have you tried casting a line? It's a 7wt, btw.
Take a clear picture of the whole handle, the reel seat, the label remnant, and any other original thread (i.e., the signature wraps by the handle).
Create an account on the forum formerly known as Clark's: http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/
Ask.
Expect to be told it's junk.

If youre serious about beating rugs. Send it my way ill refurbish it and hammer fish using it! i have the tools needec for building refurbing.

The guides could easily be someones attempt at building/refurbishing.

Dan,
It's not mine. Belongs to a guy I work with. Was his father's. He thought it might have held some value but it appears to be a run of the mill bamboo. I'll tell him it's a nice memento and might be with $50 otherwise. If I were required to fish with a wooden stick, I'd take up bowling. #boohater

He thought it might have held some value but it appears to be a run of the mill bamboo.

As I said, you've got nothing concrete to go on here to say that. Nothing to deny it either.

Our guesses that it probably isn't worth much are simple math. i.e. house odds for any random old bamboo rod. A large % of old bamboo rods aren't worth much, a small % are. We don't know what this one is, so the odds say it's probably not worth much. You coulda just said "I have an old bamboo rod" with no pictures or story and our guesses would have been the same. For all we know you were holding a Leonard.

Back