bamboo question

D

dryflyguy

I was browsing around an antique store on sunday with the little lady, and I came across a display case with 4 bamboo fly rods.
Two of them were kinda beat up and crooked - as is usually the case whenever I find them in antique stores.
But the other 2 were nice shape. So I asked the store owner to get them out for me to take a good look at them.
They were both 3 piece rods made by shakespeare.
I put them together and found out that they were 9 feet in length, and rather heavy to hold IMO - although I'm used to graphite.
The price for them was quite reasonable, and I think I might have bought one if they were shorter.
I would probably want to use it on smaller streams, and don't think a boo rod of that length would be very practical.
I'm pretty sure you guys who fish them use shorter ones -am I right?
What do you guys think?

Generally for trout fishing I use shorter rods. Many of the older rods were made longer 8 - 9 foot is not unusual. With no additional info I would guess the rods you saw would be 6 or 7 wt rods. If they are in good shape they might make a nice rod to fish for smallmouth.

Bill A

you could have fun with them on steelhead too! how about the beat up ones? if the mid and tips are in good shape, they can sometimes make nice 6 footers for small streams. I say sometimes because sometimes they don't, they turn into 6 foot clubs, while others turn into really nice 3,4,or 5 wts.
I've built up a few of them, and have 2 more in the works right now.
of course, you could buy the nice ones and make them into brookie rods too, but I usually like to use junkers. the unused butt sections make nice decorations for your office!

The one rod had a tube with it. And it was marked on there "no. 2-6"
I guess that was how they were sized before the line weight scale

My boo is 8 ft. That said, this is among the longer of the boo rods, and I do not consider it to be a small stream rod at all.

My bamboo rod is 7 1/2 foot and works fine even on the smaller streams.

Will a rod like that be practical on small streams? No. As mentioned before, they are probably 6 or 7 weight rods, and probably weigh around 4 ounces. My bamboo rods range from 6'-6" to 7'-6", designed for 4 and 5 weight lines. Great for smaller streams. I also have a restored 8' rod with 2 different tips that is suited for a 5/6 weight line and a 7 weight line. It is not a small stream rod. With the 7 weight line, it is a great streamer rod, with power and finesse. Would that stop me from buying one if it is a good price? No.

Dry
The No.2-6 would not be the weight. It would have used the older letter scale. For example HDH was 6wt & HCH 7wt. If your are still interested you could get all the info you need by researching the rod or posting the rod details over on Clarks Bamboo Forum. In simple terms though if the rod is in good shape.. all pieces equal lenght straight and the furals pop etc. and they don't want to much for it buy it. It turn you to the dark side...lol

Bill

The sections were all equal length and straight. Ferrules and wraps all nice too. Overall, the rods appeared to be hardly used.
They wanted $100 for the one - probably because it came with a sack cloth and tube - and $75 for the other.

I just don't know about getting a 9 footer. I certainly wouldn't want to use it on smaller streams.
And think that I would likley miss the performance of my graphite rod on the larger streams.
However, the next time I'm going by that antique store, I think I will bring a reel or two, and try casting them.

thanks for the replies

I would recommend looking for a smaller one for small streams. Both for the fatigue factor as well as the negotiating factor. I've got some you can test drive.

I would bet they would make nice smallmouth rods. The longest boo I own is 8 feet ( lenoard letort taper). The others are between 6 and 7 feet. If the price is right get them. Life is short fish boo!!!

If your first reaction was that they were heavy, I would avoid them. Bamboo is a wonderful to fish, but the weight compared to graphite should not be that striking. the combination of it being a long rod and likely a lower quality factory build would explain the extra weight. Your just going to tire quickly and blame bamboo. If it were me, I would put the money towards a quality bamboo rod.

I have bamboo rods from 10’ to 4’ and love them all; each has their place. I just got back from a 3 day trip in NY fishing from daylight to dark with a 10’ 7 wt. While bamboo is not for everyone and maybe not all fishing situations; I find the little additional weight doesn’t hurt my fishing. You need to take a break for lunch anyway. For salmon I like an 8’9” to 9’ 8wt although my 7 wt handled the two late season salmon I hooked this year. I don’t chase fish anymore and held them in the run I was fishing. Yes I did get some looks from nearby watches who never seen a 10 footer bend to the handle. I’ve been fish the rod since 2000 and have landed 100’s of big fish in Erie and NY. I guess what I’m trying to say is don’t be afraid to load the rod up and fish it. Give it the love it needs (re-wrap a guide if it needs it or new coat of varnish) and fish it smallmouth, salmon, steelhead and browns.

Joe E

Never really thought about using a cane rod for steelhead.
Bet that's a lot of fun for sure!

lots of folks think the same thing, but in reality, I'd bet more steelhead and salmon have been caught on bamboo rods than glass or graphite. good glass dates back about 50 years, graphite about 30 or so, but bamboo goes WAY back!
if it's a heavier rod, by all means fish for steelhead with that thing! it just might surprise you!

i fish nine foot bamboo often.the shortest i use is eight and a half.

i wouldn't mind a 71/2 to 8 foot four weight,but not if that meant i had to do away with longer rods.

Back