Bald Eagle - Tyrone Section

NewSal wrote:
Cricket wrote:
In this thread I had been wondering what dam you all had been talking about. After looking at google maps, I hadn't realized that the paper mill dam was actually part of the BE.
I was also wondering how far up stream you had to go before you got into the bass fishing area or are the bass and trout found in the same areas?
With all the rain last night and what they are calling for this comming week my guess is the water will be up but hopefully will dry off at some point and I can get down and give it a try.
Sam

I've never caught a bass out of the BET, I've only recently started fly fishing the stream, hence the thread, but I used to spinner fish the stream around opening day years ago, I used to work at the mill and would fish the stream after work.

Maybe someone else knows something about bass fishing on the BET, but I've never caught any bass out of the BET, the stream is awfully small to me to hold a bass population, maybe you have the BET mistaken as a bass stream? Maybe not, I dont know.

However, if you are close by, you can find some bass on the little j, upstream, and a little downstream of where the BET dumps into the lil j. And better yet, you can just keep driving untill you hit the frankstown branch and do some real bass fishing there, I know thats where I would go if my interest was to target bass.

Cool good do know, I had thought that at one time the BE up close to sky top mountain and such had bass in it but I think the last time I may have doped a line in there was back in the 70's so things may have become a bit fuzzy since then, I know some other things have.
This is the first I have heard of any bass in the little J at Tyrone will keep that in mind. If there are bass to be had in the Frankstown branch I will defiantly consider hitting that one of these weeks. I am thinking there is a good chance I can put both a fly and a bait cast rod on the bike and a tackle box and pack up some other junk to go along with it or else just pack the car and go.
However first it need to stop raining for me to go out. Purely a fair weather fisherman.
Sam

Cricket wrote:

Cool good do know, I had thought that at one time the BE up close to sky top mountain and such had bass in it but I think the last time I may have doped a line in there was back in the 70's so things may have become a bit fuzzy since then, I know some other things have.
This is the first I have heard of any bass in the little J at Tyrone will keep that in mind. If there are bass to be had in the Frankstown branch I will defiantly consider hitting that one of these weeks. I am thinking there is a good chance I can put both a fly and a bait cast rod on the bike and a tackle box and pack up some other junk to go along with it or else just pack the car and go.
However first it need to stop raining for me to go out. Purely a fair weather fisherman.
Sam

Yeah, sorry maybe someone else can confirm but I'm not to sure the BET holds many bass, I'm sure you may find the random one in there but I woudnt consider it a bass fishery at all.

You can definitely find bass on the little j near Tyrone, and upstream. Not a whole lot, but you can definitely find them.
The Frankstown holds plenty of them, your right about the rain, all three streams are high and muddy right now, not looking good for this weekend.

Cricket wrote:

Sam

You are probably thinking of the OTHER Bald Eagle Creek. There are two Bald Eagle Creeks.

When you come down off Skytop, on I99/Rt. 322, you come into the valley near Port Matilda.

The stream there is the Bald Eagle Creek that runs east towards Milesburg, and there are plenty of smallmouth in that section.

I wouldn't expect to catch smallmouth in the Bald Eagle Creek that runs west and into Tyrone; the stream being discussed in this thread.

The Juniata River proper is very good for smallmouth, from Huntingdon on down.

FWIW, I caught a smallie below the dam on BET last year. I've picked up a few WW fish here and there, but only ever below the dam.

NewSal wrote:
DriftingDunn wrote:
NewSal wrote:
The BET pretty much follows the road the whole way, you shouldn't have any trouble just looking around for a place to park and fish.

I dont have any problem drawing people a map for fishing access on other streams I fish, lets say the Little J, but for the BET, it seems as though its not such a main stream, stream, and I would rather not put up exact spots on the open web, but if someone else does thats up to them.

Whether you think so or not, you just did what you think you didn't do.

Your totally right, saying the stream follows a road and you should just find a place to park is 100% giving away the exact location that I like to fish...... :roll:

Next time you go there for some solitude don't be surprised if there's already an SUV where you like to park.

DriftingDunn wrote:
NewSal wrote:
DriftingDunn wrote:
NewSal wrote:
The BET pretty much follows the road the whole way, you shouldn't have any trouble just looking around for a place to park and fish.

I dont have any problem drawing people a map for fishing access on other streams I fish, lets say the Little J, but for the BET, it seems as though its not such a main stream, stream, and I would rather not put up exact spots on the open web, but if someone else does thats up to them.

Whether you think so or not, you just did what you think you didn't do.

Your totally right, saying the stream follows a road and you should just find a place to park is 100% giving away the exact location that I like to fish...... :roll:

Next time you go there for some solitude don't be surprised if there's already an SUV where you like to park.

Okay, bud.

:roll:

Back