Baker Run (Clinton County)

mattwolf

mattwolf

I am trying to plan a fishing trip to Baker Run in Clinton County in late April. I was wondering if anyone has any informaiton on access areas. I have a camp in Clinton Country and kind of know that area.

Thanks,

It is on public land down near the mouth and there is a parking area along Rt. 120 just above the mouth. It is yet another stream that is stocked that has both wild brown and brook trout. A nice quiet valley that goes way into the back country.

There is a very rough road, suitable only for high clearance vehicles, that runs up the left side (looking upstream) of the creek for about 2 miles.

The last time I was there, the road was in atrocious condition. In places the stream was eating away at the road grade, so it was very narrow. Two times I was there, fallen trees prevented us from driving very far up.

They should just close that road, dig up the old road grade and plant trees.

Soon they won't have to plant trees, they propagate naturally.

I remember overhearing that the "road" was so hard on the fish trucks that they weren't going to stock back in there anymore. Don't know if that is true because it's still on the stocking list. Maybe use ATVs? I have driven by there many times but never stopped to fish. On a map those upper tribs look interesting.

I plan on fishing up above where they stock. Our plan was to drive up to the gate I hear about and then hike up into where Baker, Shoemaker, Clenenden Branch, and Cold Fork come together. Then hike out to Eagleton Road and then catch a ride to my camp.

That sounds like a good plan. Someday I hope to get back there. At my age it better be soon, lol.

mattwolf wrote:
I plan on fishing up above where they stock. Our plan was to drive up to the gate I hear about and then hike up into where Baker, Shoemaker, Clenenden Branch, and Cold Fork come together. Then hike out to Eagleton Road and then catch a ride to my camp.

Have fun! Study your maps carefully and figure out where the trails and cabin drives and gas lines etc. are located. It's rugged country and not a good place to get lost. (I did one time!)

If you can take 2 vehicles, if going with a friend, you can park one at the point you plan on getting out and go in at the bottom. That way you don't have to worry about a ride to the place you are staying or how to get back to your vehicle. TB and I do this all the time.

troutbert wrote:
mattwolf wrote:

Have fun! Study your maps carefully and figure out where the trails and cabin drives and gas lines etc. are located. It's rugged country and not a good place to get lost. (I did one time!)
This is great advice, but I would also suggest you to keep a topo of the area with you while you fish (I keep them in a tube in my day pack). This will give you an idea of where you are on a given stream at a given time. That is a remote area (as you know) once you start getting back into those tribs, but if you don't stray too far from the stream you can't really get lost.

Back