Backpacking/Camping/Fishing

SlingerFlyRods

SlingerFlyRods

Say you were to venture into a central PA "Wilderness" area and camp at a certain "branch" sometime this spring.. I haven't been there to camp in almost 10 years... those of you that do so, do you have any issues with people messing with the camp site or your stuff?

Im sure you know where im talking about but don't want to draw more attention to it than I need to with the anonymous viewers on here.

Planning a spring trip on a Friday/Saturday fishing up the headwaters of the main creek system. Just hesitant these days and wondering what your thoughts are?

Chris

I've never had an issue with that sort of thing. Kind of a gentleman's code between people that do that sort of hiking/camping deal.

The kind of people who would mess with your stuff generally also won't walk a couple miles back into the middle of nowhere to do it. Not saying it doesn't or couldn't happen, but I don't worry about it.

Be smart about it...keep your wallet, keys, etc on your person when you leave camp.

I used to hike in a mile or so with my dad to this spot almost every year until I started heavy into high school baseball and we couldn't make the trip.. years have passed since, and didn't know if it's still the way it used to be.. I have so many memories of that stream I want to relive and want 2 days to do it.

Thanks swatie

The biggest problem I've ever had in the woods anywhere, relating to entities messing with my stuff, is mice. I've had holes chewed through a tent, holes chewed through a pack, the rubber grommet around my coffee mug chewed to shreds, food eaten that was left lying outside my rough strewn kitchen area, a birthday blueberry cheesecake cooling in storage nibbled at, and just the general unpleasantness of mice running over me at night, when I've slept out in the open.

I've had a tree limb fall on my car at a trailhead, but that was nature's fault, not damage by people. Or my own fault for not picking a spot at the base of a steep hill below a widow maker.

People are indirectly responsible for bears being a problem, but that generally is only in areas where there are camps where people feed the bears and bears are conditioned to associate people with food. This is not an issue on most hiking trails in PA, but could be more of an issue in areas like the Poconos, and is definitely an issue around campgrounds and shelters in the Catskills and Adirondacks, and probably near shelters on the Appalachian Trail.

I've had nothing but pleasant encounters with people while backpacking and using a base camp. I've been treated to wild mushrooms sauteed in butter, shared a snort or three of strong beverages, and talked for many hours on the experiences in life. Generally, I can't say that I've ever felt crowded, meaning that 99% of the folks you encounter don't feel the need to plop down their tent right next to the place you are camping.

I often don't carry a wallet, I take a single car key which is clipped to a hanger in my pack or fishing chest pack, and I keep my phone on me for GPS and camera purposes. I guess the camping gear has some value, but the way I look at it, if someone really needs the gear that bad, they need it more than me, and must be really hard up to have to steal it.

That being said, if I ever find a Slinger Fly Rod at a tent camp somewhere, I might just mess with your camp since it might be you ;-)

Talked to a WCO a while back, they are having a problem in the laurel highlands area(forbes state forest) with meth labs back in the forest, and some of those folks aren't very friendly.
personally, I've never had any issues, whether backpacking and fishing, or even in developed campsites, with anyone messing with my stuff. Most folks that enjoy the woods are good people, BUT, there is always that small percentage.
Take the usual precautionary measures and chances are you'll be fine.

Then there's the people who steal stuff just because they think they can get away with it.
I've never had a problem anywhere I've camped, but just becase I haven't yet doesn't mean it can't happen. Be cautious, and aware of your surroundings and you'll be good.

Don't pitch a brightly colored tent. Theives come in all different shapes and sizes anymore. I would be more worried that my truck would get broken into then my campsite raided. This is advise coming from someone who hasn't camped for real in 30 years.

If you're staying over on a Friday night, your chances of 1 percenters should be even less.

I've never had anything stolen or damaged when camping, either backpacking or car camping.

But I wouldn't leave anything really valuable at the campsite unattended.

When fishing you'll probably have your camera and fly rod & reel with you. At the campsite you'll have a tent, sleeping bag.

It's unlikely that anyone will steal those, particularly if they are as old and beat up looking as mine. But if it happens, it happens. The chances are very small.

Thieves usually don't walk very far into the woods, because there typically isn't much their to steal. Trees and rocks and stuff.

If someone wants to steal something in the woodsy parts of PA, they drive to a remote hunting camp, break in and steal stuff.

It sounds like you need a posse. I'll be boots on the ground apr 1! ;)

Thanks for the comments. Im not naive enough to think nothing bad could happen, but ill just have to limit my potential loss. Tent, sleeping bag, 1 pan, a little fold up grate and a small cooler with a marinated steak and beverages.. all that fits in a camping pack, then my fly gear i carry in.

Could be a fun time again to start this tradition back up

Chris

Back