Backpack?

guppieguy

guppieguy

I need some suggestions for a backpack. I'll be going to school in ithaca, NY in about a month, and I need a convenient way to carry all my gear (including waders and boots) from my dorm to the water. While the sage typhoon pack looks amazing, the price tag was just too steep for me. Can anyone recommend a backpack that has similar features that could fit a college budget? It doesn't necessarily have I be for fly fishing I guess but I'm alittle overwhelmed with all the options out there. I liked the orvis safe passage tri-pack, but it doesn't seem to have the storage for waders/boots.

I bought the Orivis Safe Passage tri-pack in the spring - the reddish color was on sale for something like $80.00. Although I have yet to use it I can assure you it is no where near large enough to carry waders and boots. I bought it for long day trips where I want to pack food, water and a rain jacket or extra layer. Maybe you should check LL Bean although I can tell you that convertible backpack/vest thing they sell won't do what you want either. I bought one of those and returned it in the same day.

You're going to have a really hard time finding something the size of a daypack that will hold your waders with wading boots and all your other fishing gear. It just won't be big enough. You'd have to move up to something more in the size range of a backpacking pack to hold all that stuff on the inside. The wading boots will probably take up the most room.
I'd suggest not worrying about putting wading boots inside the pack. Theyll just get everything inside your pack filthy and they don't need to be kept dry or protected anyway. Just find a pack with a solid D loop or something to lash them onto the outside.
The fly fishing specific packs are nice, but probably a little overpriced and unnecessary. You can find nice camelbak or other brands daypacks complete with the hydration bladder for like $80 or less on places like steepncheap, campmor, sierra trading post, or other discount outdoor retailers.

I carry my fishing gear in backpacking packs when I am backpacking. They work well. You can get a cheap one at Walmart or ****s. Usually they have water bottle pouches on the side and a rod tube fits perfect in them.

I assume you mean you intend to carry your gear to the stream without a car correct? And hence the need for a backpack?

If that's the case then I agree you're probably looking at some type of larger backpacking backpack based on the amount of space the boots and waders will take up. If you have a long walk, a pack with a frame (internal or external) will be more comfortable and distribute the weight better...many good options for around $100 or less on Sierra Trading Post for these. If you're walking though, another (somewhat obvious, but free!) option is to just wear the boots and waders...easier to wear them than carry them IMO. Besides, college girls dig guys in chest waders...especially camo ones.

If you have a car, or have access to a car then I'd scrap the backpack/bag idea entirely. Just get a large tupperwear bin with a lid...way cheaper and can just hose it out when it gets dirty...which it will, quickly. Even if you can't park close to your dorm, just park for a minute, throw the 4 way flashers on and run the bin inside.

Sneek, do you think the tri-pack is spacious enough for waders with the boots on the D-rings at the base? I like that approach because it essentially has a vest built in, but i guess a traditional backpack has enough pockets it can hold the essentials from my vest as well.

my nearest car will be 5 hours away at home, as freshman parking passes cost $500. The backpack will also serve as a means to store my gear in my dorm, so i can just "grab-and-go" to the water and gear up there.

I'll have to check out some of those discount sites.

I've been living without a car for the Summer, and using a combination of buses and hitch hiking to get to the water to fish. My system has been working very well for me. I use an Orvis wader bag that's like a duffel bag with mesh on the top for ventilation. Link: http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=96g8 The wader bag has enough space for my boots waders, fishing pack, and small backpack. So when I'm on the move, I have everything in one bag and my rod in just the sock in my hand. Then when I get to the water and put my waders on, I roll up the wader bag and put it in my backpack that also holds a rain jacket, snacks, water, etc. With this setup, I can leave my room in the morning and stay out on the water all day or just go when I get off work in the evening, and I only have to carry one bag and a rod. A lanyard and a good backpack would work perfectly. There's no point in having a bag big enough to hold your boots flopping around while you're fishing, but you also want something that's going to protect cars, buses, and your dorm room carpet from all the mud and debris on your boots.

IKEA bag and a vest/sling pack. IKEA bag made from some plastic material and is strong, large and foldable. And if you lose it, your out a dollar. Purchase at checkout, buy a couple. You probably pass a store on the way to school.

Currently use one to pack my gear the night before heading to river. Holds rod, waders, boots, and vest.

check out the eastern mountain sports packs if they are 1/3 the quality of the two older ones i have they are bullet proof and or comfy. and keep an eye for there returned stuff used to be a section of the store but now they mix it in, i bought my 5500 c.i. pack for $45 because it was returned and had a tear in the water bottle holder mesh.

also dakine ski snowboard products make some better priced a bit lower quality gear as well.

and if you dont settle on anything before you get to Ithaca, there is a great hiking/packing store right down in the commons, great service is to be had and also a really great selection form a local store as well. sorry i cant remember the name of the place but that's where my mrs's kelty pack came from.

I purchased the Sage backpack off of ebay. I do know where you can pick up the green sage typhoon at a fly shop in Syracuse. I am sure since it has been discontinued the price is better than $275.00 possibly 150 or so. I love my Sage Typhoon though. It is awesome for carring the waders.

I think your best bet would be to use a backpackers pack....or ski pack....I spent a couple days in the Smoky Mountains and used a North Face Patrol 35 to carry my stuff while I hiked up stream. It has enough room to stuff waders boxes tippet and you can attach the boots to the ski carry harness and a rod tube in the water bottle holder or strapped to the back.

I honestly wouldn't be afraid to look outside the relm of fishing packs.....take your boots and waders to ****s/gandermountain/cabelas etc and try stuffing them into the packs.....you can look at a mountaineering/ski pack for all the accessory straps that they employ

I bought one of these Go-Lite Quest 80L packs for a mule deer hunt here in Nevada and have since found that it also makes for a killer hike-in fishing pack:

http://www.golite.com/Mens-Quest-80L-Pack-P46805.aspx

If you are willing go up $150 in price, it's an unreal hiker that transfers weight into your hips. It's also incredibly light (right around 3 lbs. including the internal frame), will hold everything including road cases, waders, boots (either internally or on the external strap plate to avoid getting mud inside of the main compartment), plenty of food, 3-liter water bladder, fly boxes, and on and on...

I'm curious as to what the OP decided on getting. After many backpacking trips I've decided that the larger vest/packs are too cumbersome to fish with comfortably. I settled on packing everything in a medium sized external frame backpack and packing a slim vest with everything else and ditching the pack while fishing.

henrydavid wrote:
After many backpacking trips I've decided that the larger vest/packs are too cumbersome to fish with comfortably. I settled on packing everything in a medium sized external frame backpack and packing a slim vest with everything else and ditching the pack while fishing.

This is what I do on my overnight hiking/camping/fishing trips too. Frame pack to get into camp and get set up, then a normal sized backpack or sling pack for fishing. I equate it to the guy with a motorcoach who tows a Civic behind it.

Get an alice pack (military) will hold lots of gear. can be had for cheap.

Just an update- I still haven't decided! Classes start in a few days and fishing will have to go on hold for a short while...I am leaning towards wader bag bc of the fold out mat and the dry/wet storage. The only problem then is that i would have to keep it on shore and move it with my every time I moved down stream. Plus if i buy a backpack i would also have to buy a chest/sling pack. and I'm not sure what i would do with my wet waders/boots when using a backpack system.

EDIT: looking into the alice pack and i was pleasantly surprised. my only question would be does it have space for a rod tube (or two)

This is the one I'm looking at: http://www.amazon.com/Green-Medium-ALICE-Pack-Straps/dp/B0002X9G6E

I looked at it and with a few small straps I could add 2 rod tubes between the smaller pouches. get a cheap chest style pack (another military type) and hook to front straps. easy peasy when ya think out side the normal realm.

I've been considering using the M1967 harness with some pouches. I may have to try it next spring. Anyone ever try that?

I still have the canteen, need to get the rest again. great way to go modular. I used it for fishing for years. go for it.

Back