Backing to Fly Line Loop

tjsingle

tjsingle

Hey guys,

Wanted to see what your opinions are on the backing to fly line connection, specifically for fly lines with a rear loop. I am setting up my saltwater 9WT rod for this upcoming season, and I recently bought a fly line with a rear loop. Pretty much every line I buy I cut the rear loop off and go with an albright knot. I don't really switch out fly lines often on the same reel unless I am just replacing it. This particular setup will be for stripers.

What's the best knot for a loop to loop fly line to backing knot? I have read about triple surgeon knots, Bimini twists, and some just saying to cut the loop off like I typically do.

Thanks,
Tom

Since you'll be using the rig for big fish that will sometimes pull your line into your backing, try the loop-to-loop connection in your back yard to see how well it pulls out of and into your guides. (One of your kids can play the part of the fish if needed.) I'm assuming you already have a reel for your FW rig with a knotted connection so you can use the reel to try the same thing for comparison. If the loops don't pass through without hanging up, use the same setup you've been using (and are probably more confident with) - OR- you won't notice any significant difference.
I'm not a fan of loops for no reason besides personal preference. I hardly ever get into the backing, but I like the idea that a well-tied knot leaves less of a bump on the reel than the loops do. If I need or want the ability to quickly change leaders, I'll tie a loop into the stub knotted to the line and the back of the replacement leader.
Regards.

Since you'll be using the rig for big fish that will sometimes pull your line into your backing, try the loop-to-loop connection in your back yard to see how well it pulls out of and into your guides. (One of your kids can play the part of the fish if needed.) I'm assuming you already have a reel for your FW rig with a knotted connection so you can use the reel to try the same thing for comparison. If the loops don't pass through without hanging up, use the same setup you've been using (and are probably more confident with) - OR- you won't notice any significant difference.
I'm not a fan of loops for no reason besides personal preference. I hardly ever get into the backing, but I like the idea that a well-tied knot leaves less of a bump on the reel than the loops do. If I need or want the ability to quickly change leaders, I'll tie a loop into the stub knotted to the line and the back of the replacement leader.
Regards.

That's one of the things I was kinda worried about with the loop to loop connection. I've used my 9WT for salmon and have gone to backing plenty of times with an albright knot and never have had issues. I like how its low profile.

I'm leaning towards just cutting the loop off haha

I'm leaning towards just cutting the loop off haha
You might as well try it. It's easier to tie a loop than a nail knot or Albright knot.
(I actually prefer the nail knot over an Albright because I can't get the bend loop on the fly line to tighten up enough to my liking. Even so, the leader on my 5-wt is tied on with the same ugly Albright knot with which I attached it about 5 years ago... only because I could tie an Albright without nail knot "tools.")

Use a bimini.

Last edited:
I use a double catch loop in the backing to a double catch loop on the fly line or shooting heads. Never had a problem and smooth through the guides.

Bimini.

Also with other (lighter) lines you don't need to cut the loop to tie a an Albright. Tie it just like you would with the loop in place.

cut the loop its just melted plastic, there is no core in the loops better off tying backing to line nail knot .

I went with a Bimini twist, for whatever reason I thought it would be a lot harder to tie lol

Hey guys,

Wanted to see what your opinions are on the backing to fly line connection, specifically for fly lines with a rear loop. I am setting up my saltwater 9WT rod for this upcoming season, and I recently bought a fly line with a rear loop. Pretty much every line I buy I cut the rear loop off and go with an albright knot. I don't really switch out fly lines often on the same reel unless I am just replacing it. This particular setup will be for stripers.

What's the best knot for a loop to loop fly line to backing knot? I have read about triple surgeon knots, Bimini twists, and some just saying to cut the loop off like I typically do.

Thanks,
Tom
I'm new to the site but I guess I'm "old school". I'm 66 and have been fly fishing for 50+ of those years. I stick to cutting off the loop and using the Albright knot. I also usually cut the front loop off and attach a 24 - 30" piece of Amnesia (fluorescent green) with a needle knot. That ensures that I have the least amount of resistance passing through the guides. I've had the front loop to loop connection hang up when I'm landing a fish those last few feet to the net.

I Use the double catch loop on my 9wt for salmon. I've never had one fail.

Back